Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

210120-3g.png

Earlier today we posted a screenshot on our iPhone section that claimed to depict an new On/Off option to enable 3G speeds. This new preference was found in the latest iPhone 2.0 Beta 5 distributed to developers. By default, the preference is hidden, but one developer claims to have activated it. We have since confirmed that the text shown is indeed in the iPhone 2.0 Beta firmware, so the screenshot appears to be legitimate.

While the iPhone 2.0 firmware appears to contain 3G code, current iPhone owners will not be able to take advantage of the 3G speeds without buying the new iPhone. It appears that Apple will be using a common firmware for both the existing iPhone and the unreleased 3G-capable iPhone.

Also of interest is that due to the higher 3G power consumption, Apple is giving users an option to fall back to EDGE speeds in order to prolong battery life.

The 3G-capable iPhone is widely expected to be released in the coming months, possibly at the Worldwide Developer Conference in June.

Article Link

Addendum: The text can be found in the SDK: Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator2.0.sdk/ Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj/Network.strings

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
That's a confusing switch. Does "off" means it's off now, or will be if you slide the switch to the right where the word "off" is written?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It means it's off. Apparently if you turn it ON on the current iPhone, it crashes. But remember, the option doesn't appear normally -- someone hacked it so it would appear.

arn

virus7

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, CO
that is cool.

i'd run edge most of the time and only switch it to 3G for browsing. My Blackjack's battery has always sucked and I think part of it is due to using 3G. There is a way to switch it off, but I haven't bothered yet.

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
I get the feeling that the new iPhone will be coming very soon, possibly sooner than the 2.0 firmware will be released for current iPhone owners. The fact that the online Apple store has no iPhones is strange since that would put a month long hold on selling any iPhones if the new one is released at WWDC. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a new 3G iPhone very soon with a working firmware 2.0 that would continue to be tweaked and released to all other iPhone owners at WWDC. Just a guess, but Apple taking a break from selling phones at the majority of their stores for a month doesn't seem right.

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
So does this mean that Apple are making a 3G iPhone? Like...fo' real? I for one never would have seen that coming, what with there being no mention of this happening!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Omni Geno

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA, USA
That's a confusing switch. Does "off" means it's off now, or will be if you slide the switch to the right where the word "off" is written?

When it says OFF, it's off. When it is switched on, there's also a blue highlight, to kind of signify that something's activated. This helps to eliminate confusion when you're using it. It's not so apparent by looking at a single screenshot.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Very Interesting......

I think Apple is just going to add 3G to the new phone and keep the form factor pretty much the same. They say the back is going to be plastic, but I think the chrome and metal back is a signature trait on the iphone.

As for the 3rd "sensor" that case makers are being told to leave room for must be a camera. How cool would it be to have video chat on the new iphone.

Even though I current gen iPhone, I think i'll stick with it for another year and get the next version of the iPhone. After life in the tech lane is very fast and spending all that money to keep up to date is not worth it.

I wonder if Apple would take my EDGE iPhone and give me a 3G one for free......if only.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i'm sure this has been said a zillion times already, but couldn't apple just make their batteries user replaceable? it's not like the design or security of the device would have to suffer - plus wouldn't they make more money by selling iPhone batteries?

same goes for iPod of course... i mean, i'm surprised the Apple Remote has a user replaceable battery.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Great but they better increase the battery life. Come on Apple and put some real hardware in the iPhone 2.0! :mad:

i'm sure this has been said a zillion times already, but couldn't apple just make their batteries user replaceable? it's not like the design or security of the device would have to suffer - plus wouldn't they make more money by selling iPhone batteries?

Exactly!

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I think it would also be appropriate if they put a 3G switch here:

Attachments

• 3G switch.jpg
    3G switch.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,225

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Sweet

Cool - 3G!

nice option to turn it off too - for some reason i didn't realise that the 3G phone could also use edge!

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Very Interesting......

I think Apple is just going to add 3G to the new phone and keep the form factor pretty much the same. They say the back is going to be plastic, but I think the chrome and metal back is a signature trait on the iphone.

As for the 3rd "sensor" that case makers are being told to leave room for must be a camera. How cool would it be to have video chat on the new iphone.

Even though I current gen iPhone, I think i'll stick with it for another year and get the next version of the iPhone. After life in the tech lane is very fast and spending all that money to keep up to date is not worth it.

I wonder if Apple would take my EDGE iPhone and give me a 3G one for free......if only.

Perhaps that 3rd sensor isn't really a "Sensor", but an LED that can indicate wether you have a message, or voice mail.

I hope apple can implement this nicely!!

jrmontag

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
3g Ftw!

YAY!

a half dozen of my friends and i are thinking of buying into a family plan when these babies come out. anyone else tried this to see if it's reasonably economical?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
This option scares me: It almost leads me to believe they didn't use a new, lower-power 3G chip. That is frightening because I barely talk on the phone yet run my battery out in one day.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This option scares me: It almost leads me to believe they didn't use a new, lower-power 3G chip. That is frightening because I barely talk on the phone yet run my battery out in one day.

well, I think even a low power 3G chip is going to be more power than the corresponding lower-power EDGE chipset.

arn

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
YAY!

a half dozen of my friends and i are thinking of buying into a family plan when these babies come out. anyone else tried this to see if it's reasonably economical?

If you want to get screwed then go for it. Remember, if everyone pitches in to pay the bill every month OR if you alternate on paying the bill every month there is a chance that one of your friends won't pay. OR one of your friends will run the bill up when it isn't there turn to pay.

I am sure somebody will try to convince you otherwise, but it's really just common sense NOT to get your friends in on something that can ruin your credit, or leave you without a phone.

Just think, some people do it with the rent and electric bills, think about how screwed they get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.