Latest Report Claims All New iPhone Models Facing Production Delays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Reports of delays to Apple's upcoming iPhone line-up continued this week, with the Chinese-language Economic Daily News claiming on Monday that production of the so-called "iPhone 8" will not start until between November and December, with production of the more typical "S" cycle upgrades to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus also potentially facing delays.

According to the report, the flagship redesigned OLED iPhone will ship only in small volumes this year, because yield rates at the main manufacturing plants have still not reached the mass production stage.

[​IMG]

Reports of iPhone delays typically happen every year and don't tend to pan out, but on balance we seem to be seeing more than usual this time around, apparently spurred by claims that Apple has found its redesigned handset particularly challenging to finalize, whether that's because of the intricacies of the customized OLED panel and other key components leading to low or staggered supplies, or problems integrating the Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently published a report supporting claims that Apple will debut the OLED iPhone in September, but the device will face "severe supply shortages" for some time. Kuo believes that production ramp-up on the OLED iPhone model won't begin until as late as October-November, two months later than previous ramp-ups in August-September. Similar rumors have been circulated by Bloomberg, analysts from Barclays, and Brian White. Today's report is the most delayed 2017 timeframe for "iPhone 8" production we've seen so far.

Last week claims were also made that the software-side of things isn't going well for Apple either, with rumors that problems with the front-facing camera's 3D sensor could see the feature temporarily unavailable at launch. A purported wireless charging accessory for the iPhone is also thought to be coming later than originally planned.

As for the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch LCD iPhones that Apple is said to be launching alongside the OLED iPhone, volume production is now said to be entering "full swing" in August, which is one to two months later than the normal mass production schedule for Apple's iPhones.

(Via DigiTimes.)

Article Link: Latest Report Claims All New iPhone Models Facing Production Delays

2. MacBergin macrumors regular

MacBergin

3. Sunny1990, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

Every year we hear this same report and Every year iPhone has been released at it's normal Date. This Report has never been true till date :-(

4. NoNothing macrumors 6502

I can see the internet in my minds eye come October: "sure the iPhone Pro is sold out, they are only making 1000 per month. It's typical Apple to limit supply to create headlines of sold out for months."

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Delay it by about 10 months and I might buy one.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Let's say I wouldn't bet the house.

7. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Off topic, but does anyone else think the new iOS 11 dock for iPad (only the look, not function) will make its way into the new iPhone? Just makes sense due to the edge to edge display.

8. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

The phones will be delayed till December and the HomePod will be delayed till Apple Campus 3's completion

9. recoil80 macrumors 68000

It wouldn't be July without a report claiming production delays

10. dan9700 macrumors 6502a

dan9700

Omg all these dam iphone rumours has actually made me not care about it anymore so much hype for something no one knows about

11. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

... but like every year the North Pole facility and Apple's Elves will make it for the holidays.

12. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

For those from the UK who listened to Mark & Lard's radio show in the nineties:
    "F&&k my hat, I didn't know that
    F&&k my hat, I didn't know that
    F&&k my hat, I didn't know that"

13. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

Man, I'm tired of these analysts and their stock manipulation tactics lately.
    There are only 2 months now until the keynote so I'll just wait.

14. xalea macrumors member

xalea

A trillion-dollar company that can't put out a product on schedule. Great.

15. Plinga macrumors newbie

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Does it matter if it launches in September or December as long as it launches? No one needs it in September.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

...published in Digitimes, quoting Ming-Chi Kuo.

OK, in all fairness Ming-Chi Kuo is right occasionally -- just like a broken clock.

19. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

You haven't been praying to him

20. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

This has been the same claim with every iPhone and every time it's been unfounded.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well Apple needs it in September/October because December is too late for the holiday season. If the iPhone were to not be readily available until December it would be a disaster for Q1 earnings and possibly crimp the entire FY.

You are right no consumer needs it -- which is why it must launch during the holiday season because no one has any money or the will to spend money they don't have in Jan, Feb when they are paying off the holiday bills.

22. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

Absolutely true. But Apple didn't NEED to announce that it would be available in September. They should drop their insistence on clockwork release cycles. Just release the new hardware when it's ready. They used to do that.

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Late out of the gate-gate

Ha! In first with a gate.

24. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Does not surprise me.

There is still a 2 week wait for the iPad 12.9 a product they ALREADY made for years beforehand!

25. Freida macrumors 65816

Well, we do get these every year but this year seem a bit different. We really haven't seen many leaks and by this time we usually have most of the components leaked. So maybe there is a delay this year. Who knows!
    However, if even part of the rumours about iPhone 8 are correct then I don't think I'll be getting one. Too expensive to begin with and it will be version 1 of a new design which is always a massive gamble. Lets see what they do though :)