Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This has been the same claim with every iPhone and every time it's been unfounded.

Well, not totally. A lot of iPhones have availability launch weekend and then backlogs grow as Apple tries to distribute inventory world wide. Last year, for example, the iPhone 7+ was not easily available until late November. Before that time it was only randomly available, usually not in the color or size or carrier you needed.

Of course that is very different from these rumors saying no availability until Nov/Dec. I don't buy that at all.

Reactions: manu chao

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Every year we hear this same report and Every year iPhone has been released at it's normal Date. This Report has never been true till date.
Yeah, estimated shipping dates never slipped beyond more than a week. Part of the line-up never remained hard to find long into December. Accessories never barely made it to ship in the same year. And something like the white iPhone 4 never happened.

Reactions: kdarling

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm not exactly in a rush to buy a new one. When it releases, it releases. I'll preorder and hope to get in a window that's not months out to be delivered. That said, it's all on Apple. They knew years ago what they were doing...generally and had time to plan for it. It's Cook's baby.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Absolutely true. But Apple didn't NEED to announce that it would be available in September. They should drop their insistence on clockwork release cycles. Just release the new hardware when it's ready. They used to do that.
Really? When did they used to deviate from the yearly cycle of the iPhone?
[doublepost=1500293470][/doublepost]
A trillion-dollar company that can't put out a product on schedule. Great.
Because money can fix everything?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Absolutely true. But Apple didn't NEED to announce that it would be available in September. They should drop their insistence on clockwork release cycles. Just release the new hardware when it's ready. They used to do that.

And that's still true for Macs and iPads.
But iPhones are different. Many people buy them via carriers or the iPhone upgrade program so they expect a new model to be available at the same time of the year since they can change phone after 12 months.
If you bought iPhone 7 in September 2016 you expect to be able to upgrade to iPhone 7s or 8 in September 2017, etc.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I wonder why there are such supply shortages across the industry in 2017? It's not just OLED panels, but DRAM, NAND, and SSDs as well, driving up cost and price across the electronics industry. Not enough fabs or manufacturers? A purposeful constraint? It's hard to imagine they botched estimated order forecasts.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
If these rumors are true and all the others why not simply delay it to January or something. No point rushing an artificial deadline to release mediocre product, and we are all doing fine with the current phone. If the iPhone 8 comes out in tiny numbers and missing a lot of features I'm gonna wait anyway.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Thinking about this and I wonder if apple will put the finger print sensor on the power on/off button.

morcutt11

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2015
USA
Well, this is the first time I've ever heard a rumor like this (except for every single iPhone model ever - excluding maybe the original).

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
If these rumors are true and all the others why not simply delay it to January or something.
Because it won't be the tenth anniversary iPhone if it comes out next year will it?
[doublepost=1500295722][/doublepost]
Well, not totally. A lot of iPhones have availability launch weekend and then backlogs grow as Apple tries to distribute inventory world wide. Last year, for example, the iPhone 7+ was not easily available until late November. Before that time it was only randomly available, usually not in the color or size or carrier you needed.

Of course that is very different from these rumors saying no availability until Nov/Dec. I don't buy that at all.
A reasoned argument. Hey you're probably right. But lets throw it out there, what if Apple truly drops the ball and the iPhone 8 doesn't ship until next year?

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
how quaint... buying a phone locked to a carrier.

Locked to a carrier? What are you talking about? You are only locked if you consent to being locked. If you buy the phone outright there is no lock, but it's still important to buy the right carrier. (And some carriers will unlock after 2-3 months of service.)

The point of buying an iPhone with the right carrier has more to do with the iPhone's capabilities -- unless, again, you are consenting to being locked in exchange for a subsidy or no cost financing. For example, last year's VZW model was essentially the same as the SIM-Free model, capable of being used with any carrier in the world. OTOH the ATT and TMob models did not have CDMA capability. IIRC the Sprint model was missing a few GSM bands.

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
No problem - upgraded from a 1st day iP4 to iP SE last September, thus should still be good with my next upgrade - unless the delay will be 5+ years ;)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I think that if the issues with the iPhone 8 are real, then Apple will announce the 7s only in September with the same design as the 7 with minor upgrades and hold the 8 back until Sept next year. They could lose a big chunk of market share to Samsung if that happens.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
But lets throw it out there, what if Apple truly drops the ball and the iPhone 8 doesn't ship until next year?

At this point- if all these component shortages, software issues, and delay rumors are true- I wouldn't mind Apple not shipping the iPhone 8 (or X, or Edition, or whatever it'll be called) until next year.

I don't want a shoddy product, and I'm sure neither does Apple.

Shareholders, OTOH...

Reactions: WatchFromAfar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.