Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage7.png

Stanford University is adding Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of Steve Jobs, to its 33-member Board of Trustees for a five-year term.
Powell Jobs, who earned an MBA from Stanford's Graduate School of Business in 1991, is the founder and chair of Emerson Collective, an organization that supports social entrepreneurs and organizations working in the areas of education, social justice and conservation.

Laurene Powell Jobs, a leader in the education reform movement and vocal advocate for the federal Dream Act, has been elected to the Stanford University Board of Trustees to a five-year term that begins Oct. 1.
Powell Jobs is historically very private with her activities but is passionate about education, serving on the boards of a number of charitable organizations. She serves as the President of the board for College Track, an after-school program outside San Francisco, and also sits on the board of Teach for America.

The story was broken by TechCrunch earlier today.

Powell Jobs earned an MBA in 1991 from Stanford's Graduate School of Business, where she also first met Steve Jobs.

Article Link: Laurene Powell Jobs Joining Stanford Board of Trustees

Turin

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
London, UK
MacRumours, I love you but this has nothing to do with Apple. The widow of the ex-CEO's educational accomplishments has nothing to do with the site.

She's kept a private life, let us try and honour that and leave her be.

douten

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
MacRumours, I love you but this has nothing to do with Apple. The widow of the ex-CEO's educational accomplishments has nothing to do with the site.

but wait! the story was rolled out by techcrunch surely that justifies this :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

Serving on many different boards and being a "vocal" advocate is hardly someone wanting to keep a private life. In addition, MR made no mention of her private life save for her being married to Steve Jobs. Lastly, what MR reported on was actually an official press release from Stanford. Be mad at Stanford.

----------

Dream Act is fairly controversial. I am surprised Stanford is touting it.

Wait. An educational institution touting education for all? Nope. Can't possibly see why they would support this.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wait. An educational institution touting education for all? Nope. Can't possibly see why they would support this.

I believe they're talking about the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors act, which is an immigration thing, not an education thing. Education happens without DREAM. Rather, DREAM is about who gets deported and who doesn't.

If I'm wrong then I was also confused by the article and MacRumors should probably clarify.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Ditto here. Why is this on PAGE 1? Absolutely irrelevant Apple-wise.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I believe they're talking about the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors act, which is an immigration thing, not an education thing. Education happens without DREAM. Rather, DREAM is about who gets deported and who doesn't.

If I'm wrong then I was also confused by the article and MacRumors should probably clarify.

Dream Act is fairly controversial. I am surprised Stanford is touting it.

I think that is the one. It has a connection to education in that I believe some of the exemptions are for students intending to go to college. Stanford may or may not endorse it as a university, regardless what one of its 33 trustees does. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a diversity of opinion among the trustees.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

DREAM Act is not about deportation. It's about rewarding illegal immigrants with the rights to stay in the US based on levels of education they obtain. The more education they receive, the longer they can stay. If no education is being sought, then the deportation applies. But the heart of the bill is to provide education to illegal alien minors, which no educational institution should fault.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Good luck to her. She deserves to step out of her husband's shadow and be better recognized for her own accomplishments, although it's unfortunate that some of that recognition came about only after Steve's death.

yeah...that's what she was thinking. I can't wait for my husband to die so I can get some recognition! :rolleyes:

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
DREAM Act is not about deportation. It's about rewarding illegal immigrants with the rights to stay in the US based on levels of education they obtain. The more education they receive, the longer they can stay. If no education is being sought, then the deportation applies. But the heart of the bill is to provide education to illegal alien minors, which no educational institution should fault.

QED : Wife of American Genius wants already struggling citizens to pay for the education of ILLEGAL Mexicans because they and their country can't.

and is getting POSITIVE credit for that.... sad day.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
yeah...that's what she was thinking. I can't wait for my husband to die so I can get some recognition! :rolleyes:

No, I know what she's thinking. Awesome, I can now donate all Steve's billions without getting yelled at.

----------

QED : Wife of American Genius wants already struggling citizens to pay for the education of ILLEGAL Mexicans because they and their country can't.

and is getting POSITIVE credit for that.... sad day.

I completely agree. But if they're going to be here no matter what, wouldn't you want them at least educated? Or, maybe not. Then they'll just be competing for higher paying jobs. Hence the controversy.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Hmm.... not making any judgements here, but it looks like there must have been at least 20-25 years difference in their ages. Steve was 56 this year, and she only looks to be in her late 30s. However I understand they were married for almost twenty years, so maybe she just looks young.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.