Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Law Firm Gearing Up for iPhone 4 Suit Over Signal Issues

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
via valleywag (another gawker site).

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5574781/an-iphone-class-action-suit-is-in-the-works

EDIT: Adding the content if you want to avoid giving them a click:

The California law firm that sued Facebook and Zynga over scammy gaming ads is setting its sights on Apple, investigating a possible class action over reception problems with the new iPhone.

Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff, LLP is looking for people who "recently purchased the new iPhone and have experienced poor reception quality, dropped calls and weak signals." That's the same firm that filed a federal class action suit over deceptive "offer" ads in games like Mafia Wars and Farmville. In the case of the fourth-generation iPhone, released last week, the phone shows fewer reception bars if you hold it wrong; Apple has suggested gripping it different.

There is evidence other phones may have had problems when gripped a certain way. But none generated the number of public complaints or level of controversy associated with the iPhone 4. So when Steve Jobs personally suggests to users to "avoid holding it in that way," he's handing the likes of KCR some valuable legal ammunition.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I'm not surprised. Seriously though, I think you at least give them a chance to fix it. If you sued the maker of every product you purchased that had a defect you'd be spending a lot of time in court.

Comment

3eyes

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
They should refund the restocking fee for people that return their phone (if they have to pay one) otherwise people have the opportunity to return their phones or they know about the issues when they make their purchase. The consumer knows full well what they are getting themselves into.

Comment

myztikal47

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I'm in, I don't care if the lawyers get rich, at least the company learns a lesson and hopefully they don't try to pull the same crap again.

Comment

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Even less valid than suing McDonald's over happy meal toys.

Didn't some person win a few million for spilling McD coffee on their lap? Anything is possible. So now someone can sue Apple for damages because they missed an important call.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm in, I don't care if the lawyers get rich, at least the company learns a lesson and hopefully they don't try to pull the same crap again.

Wow. You know, I'd like to see Apple come up with a solution. Whether it's a fix for the current phone, an exchange program, or something else, let's have them make the phones work.

But sure...giving lawyers millions of dollars for no reason is also fun. :rolleyes:

(Can I repeat the no reason at all part again? Since, you know, some kind of fix or exchange is gonna cost Apple a lot of money, so your "learn their lesson" plan works out there too.)

Comment

protox

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Carlsbad, CA

Likewise. I don't even care for the anything we may get or not get from this lawsuit but I just don't want to see a company try and pull the wool over our eyes.

Comment

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas

Exactly what crap are they pulling? I don't believe there has been sufficient time to diagnose a specific problem, much less sufficient time for a fix or even a legitimate response. I don't see anyone pulling anything other than impatient and entitled consumers complaining.

Comment

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Didn't some person win a few million for spilling McD coffee on their lap? Anything is possible.

Not the greatest example. McDonald's was found to be keeping the coffee abnormally hot, and the lady actually had very serious burns from it. The facts of that case actually showed pretty clearly that McDonald's knew they kept the coffee hot enough to cause serious burns, but did so anyway. If I recall they'd settled a number of previous burn cases, but that's the first one that actually went to trial.

Comment

fuzion

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2010
Listen up !#(*%&, if Apple comes out and says the official fix is scotch tape, then we have a reason for legal issues; wait for them to address the situation.

Idiots.

Comment

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I would opt out. I cant' stand lawyers. Worked with them for years and everything they say is true. We will prob all get a bumper and they will get millions.

Comment

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Class action lawsuits help nobody but the lawyers.

The lawyers make millions and consumers get a $5 gift card.

This is very true, but it provides an incentive for companies to do the right thing. Without the ability to file a class action suit the vast majority of claimants wouldn't have the financial ability (or incentive) to file one on their own. While lawyers do abuse the system at times, the ability to hold companies accountable for their products often makes class actions worthwhile.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.