Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Given a choice between a company that we know does all these things for advertising (google), a company that at least says it doesn't (apple), and having no real way of knowing which is being honest or not, I know which company I'd rather take the gamble on given there are only 2 smartphones OS to choose.

There are more than 2 smartphone OS available

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I can't wait to hear Apple's classic pr-doublespeak on this. If they truely cared about user privacy like they claim they wouldn't charge billions in kickbacks to Google allowing they to be the default search engine on iOS among other issues.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
It's no secret that Google pays billions to be the default search engine.

It was until it got disclosed during the Oracle trial. I wonder why Apple wouldn't volunteer that they're paid billions of dollars by a company they claim violates users' privacy?

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
It was until it got disclosed during the Oracle trial. I wonder why Apple wouldn't volunteer that they're paid billions of dollars by a company they claim violates users' privacy?
Simple - it allows Apple to look good & make a competitor look bad even though they're doing the exact same thing.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Google should be worried, not Apple.

Apple will be more than happy to represent in front of a Congressional hearing. Google will probably be scared ***** trying to come up with excuses regarding their business practices.
[doublepost=1531171272][/doublepost]
So the Gub'ment is only going after the mobile phones.:( Because they need to target MS as well. Any computer savvy person who has used Win10 has an inkling of how much data they collect on you.

Agreed. These Congressional hearings/inquisitions should apply to most tech companies, including smaller social media ones which also (by the nature of their apps) collect user information.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
These questions need to be worded better. For example:
  • Do Apple's iPhone devices collect audio recordings of users without consent?
All devices are constantly 'recording' like 5 seconds looking for 'Hey Siri' or 'Hello Google' if that feature is turned on. But if this 'recording' is instantly removed when 'Hey Siri' is not recognized, and this 'recording' can never be captured by anything else, then 'technically' it's true, that recordings are collected without consent, but in reality what the question is asking another way is NOT true. They're not 'stored'.
If we turn on “Hey Siri” isn’t that consent for it to listen?

And it sounds like you’re assuming the process for “Hey Siri” is: [listen - save - match/no match - discard] but I don’t think that’s correct. I found nothing to suggest that an iPhone is constantly recording to find a “Hey Siri” cue. I think it’s [listen - match/no match] with no audio ever saved anywhere, let anyone collected as the question states. Someone knowledgeable about this could weigh in.

There are more than 2 smartphone OS available
Yes, but not really.
#duopoly

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
We got some new tools at work and I am literally shocked at the things I can see of our app users. From their current battery percentage, WiFi signal to how often a certain button / area gets clicked inside an App.

Just today i sent out push notifications to our app users who have not opened the app but registered for 7 days in the last 30 days within a 60 km radius of Stuttgart. I can even see the routes our users drive every day and could target only people that stay at a certain spot for more than 2 hours per day. Since we require our customers to register I can even go as deep as Name and Last name level

So much for Apple taking good care of our data.

Reactions: shpankey

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
We got some new tools at work and I am literally shocked at the things I can see of our app users. From their current battery percentage, WiFi signal to how often a certain button / area gets clicked inside an App.

Just today i sent put push notifications to our app users who have not opened the app but registered for 7 days in the last 30 days within a 60 km radius of Stuttgart. I can even see the routes our users drive every day and could target only people that stay at a certain spot for more than 2 hours per day

So much for Apple taking good care of our data.
Are these data anonymized or aggregated, or are they associated with a specific user (by user, I mean identified human, not a username unassociated with any personal information)?

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Are these data anonymized or aggregated, or are they associated with a specific user (by user, I mean identified human, not a username unassociated with any personal information)?

I can see their names since we need them to register to use / order our product tho this is going to be stopped soon cuz we don’t need it but the fact that it is possible is creepy

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
These questions need to be worded better. For example:
  • Do Apple's iPhone devices collect audio recordings of users without consent?
All devices are constantly 'recording' like 5 seconds looking for 'Hey Siri' or 'Hello Google' if that feature is turned on. But if this 'recording' is instantly removed when 'Hey Siri' is not recognized, and this 'recording' can never be captured by anything else, then 'technically' it's true, that recordings are collected without consent, but in reality what the question is asking another way is NOT true. They're not 'stored'.

What you say about iOS devices is wrong. Newer devices have a chip that listens for the words "Hey Siri" and for nothing else - the reason for a separate chip is that a chip that can detect _one phrase only_ can be built using a lot less power, and therefore can be turned on permanently. It doesn't record anything. And it doesn't recognise anything you say except that the words "Hey Siri" have been spoken.

And of course this is done _with consent_. You are asked whether you want to turn Siri on or not. That's consent.
How can you possibly use an audio trigger without listening all the time?
By having a chip in your phone that can detect the audio trigger and nothing else.

[doublepost=1531175279][/doublepost]
Considering Apple gets billions of dollars a year in secret payments from Google perhaps Apple needs to worry as well.
Since you mention it here, it's obviously not secret. At least not secret anymore :)

Reactions: FFR and Solomani

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
3rd party developers only pay consequences if they are small. Uber willfully violated privacy rules and got a slap on the wrist:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...n-the-wrist-for-breaking-the-app-store-rules/

Small developers have been pulled from the store without warning for making non-willful mistakes, but Uber got a "sit down" with the boss...
Uber should have been pulled from the store.
Cook has NO credibility regarding privacy due to this.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Good. These questions should be answered by all tech companies. I’ve been happy with Apple’s position on privacy and it will only get stronger in the coming years. Google’s sole purpose is for data mining and advertising. I wonder how long this approach will last or if they will completely change as a company.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
After watching the useless fiasco the Facebook hearings were, I wonder why lawmakers question anyone else. If you watched the Facebook hearings you would see how utterly useless the lawmakers were in regard to the massive privacy issues and data breach with Facebook.

In regard to this news event, this is why I am on Apple devices. Not a day goes by where there isn't some massive privacy issue regarding Android, Google, or something associated with them. I have yet to hear anything about Apple. I'm not saying Apple is innocent, but there are a heck of a lot of eyeballs trying to find a chink in their armor and if there was something that was an issue I'll bet they would have found it already. Google just scares the heck out of me. I respect Apple that much more that they are willing to backup privacy so much, even when it's obvious that lawmakers could in reality care less and will let any of these companies off with a slap on the wrist.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Given a choice between a company that we know does all these things for advertising (google), a company that at least says it doesn't (apple), and having no real way of knowing which is being honest or not, I know which company I'd rather take the gamble on given there are only 2 smartphones OS to choose.

You should maybe ask yourself why it's so important.

What in the world do you think Google does with my data that effects me in any way? Really, tell me what I'm missing.
[doublepost=1531187179][/doublepost]
I don't expect Apple is sweating this conversation at all. I would think they welcome it to further differentiate their focus on privacy from the competition.

Apple will market their way out of it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That's ok. I question lawmakers personal data collection policies.

Yep. however we only focus on law makers here, as a greater concern when it comes to 'privacy'... Who's to say companies can't do the same thing? But when it comes to law enforcement, there is no question about not collecting info and 'hiding secrets'

I can see why they would question Apple with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, particularly when you "turn it off" it in Control Center it is not completely disabled.. You need to go into Settings to that..

https://support.apple.com/en-au/ht208086

"In iOS 11 and later, when you toggle the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth buttons in Control Center, your device will immediately disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will continue to be available, so you can use these important features:"

Completely understandable questions. If Apple can allow a change this to a temporary disconnection this way, one much ask what else can they do.

Also since Apple users a external service to help with 911 calls, anytime u do not do it yourself, you break out of that privacy barrier

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't wait to hear Apple's classic pr-doublespeak on this. If they truely cared about user privacy like they claim they wouldn't charge billions in kickbacks to Google allowing they to be the default search engine on iOS among other issues.

This started since the beginning of the OG iPhone ... but the "kickback" which really isn't such a thing on iOS ... so let's call it payment for mobile device relevance, dominance, and brand name recognition. Google is willingly and wantonly to pay Apple priority cash to BE THE dominant search engine on their platform. Apple can CHOOSE another platform for internet search and although many users including myself would immediately change it back to google ... Apple could REALLY heart Google in the mobile search space if their choice was VERY commendable and competitive in the service, results, etc.

Apple is doing what they believe is best for their customers ... "we offer Google as a primary search engine on our devices. In the interest of CHOICE, we do offer others that can be changed by the user" ... I recall a similar line from Jobs when Microsoft purchased 5 million common shares (non-voting shares) when Apple was just around the corner from Bankruptcy. Apple agreed:

Internet Explorer will be the default browser on OS9 and OSX for a time.
Microsoft would continue to provide MS Office Suite for Mac with timely new versions and security updates.
Microsoft guaranteed that they would NOT sell the 5 Million non-voting shares for 5yrs!
Apple allowed the end user the "choice" to change the default browser.
Apple sent a team of programmers to be employed by Microsoft to help work on software for Mac.
( this is why MS Office for Mac has continually improved beyond anything "Entourage" could amount to; yeah we remember that horrible software from Microsoft).​

PS: I'd WILLINGLY pay $50/yr for an incredible FAST, PRIVATE (nothing of my search or history or habits to be SOLD to ANYONE/COMPANY/GOV/research), and just as comparable and accurate search results on my PC/Mac or mobile phone of choice. Using Google as a search I'd LOVE to have the option to be paid $5/Day for my searches (non logged onto any Google service). I've already weened myself off of using Google account for Chrome ... if Firefox fixes the crazy BS in their browser for Corporate intranet behind firewall for internet searches then I'd use that too (Ahem, only OLD versions tagged for business seems to work and not end up with a non-https error even if the site is https)!!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
After watching the useless fiasco the Facebook hearings were, I wonder why lawmakers question anyone else. If you watched the Facebook hearings you would see how utterly useless the lawmakers were in regard to the massive privacy issues and data breach with Facebook.

In regard to this news event, this is why I am on Apple devices. Not a day goes by where there isn't some massive privacy issue regarding Android, Google, or something associated with them. I have yet to hear anything about Apple. I'm not saying Apple is innocent, but there are a heck of a lot of eyeballs trying to find a chink in their armor and if there was something that was an issue I'll bet they would have found it already. Google just scares the heck out of me. I respect Apple that much more that they are willing to backup privacy so much, even when it's obvious that lawmakers could in reality care less and will let any of these companies off with a slap on the wrist.

Agreed. You (all of us actually) should protect yourself by being selective in the companies and technologies/apps you use in daily life. Don't count on the useless politicians to protect you. They are all talk, no action. They talk big, as if they will do everything to protect you. But in the end, they are insipid, ineffective and corrupt. They are easily derailed, and easily bought off (by special interests and lobbyists).

Reactions: spinedoc77

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The lawmakers should be looking at the government agencies who keep exposing the citizens' personal data thanks to their incompetency.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017

Good. These questions should be answered by all tech companies. I’ve been happy with Apple’s position on privacy and it will only get stronger in the coming years. Google’s sole purpose is for data mining and advertising. I wonder how long this approach will last or if they will completely change as a company.

While we are applauding Apple for not selling personal user data, has anyone stopped to ask if Apple is a customer of companies that collect/sell personal data? For example, does Apple purchase user data from outside sources? Does Apple pay for ads or other services that target user data sold by other companies?

Last edited:
Reactions: H2SO4

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
If a device doesn’t allow you to completely disable the storage of your personal data, then the device is questionable by design. And neither iOS nor Android give you the freedom of not storing your private data, so both systems are highly questionable. You cannot even disable the facial recognition of the photos you take. But people don’t worry, until some security breach happens, and then they scream (when they chose to take the risk in the first place).
. At least Apple is doing facials recognition on iPhone not like Google which is send everything to the cloud.

Reactions: Solomani

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
While we are applauding Apple for not selling personal user data, has anyone stopped to ask if Apple is a customer of companies that collect/sell personal data? For example, does Apple purchase user data from outside sources? Does Apple pay for ads or other services that target user data sold by other companies?

As of now, we have no reason to believe so. Fair questions to ask though and I don’t doubt Apple would answer.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
. At least Apple is doing facials recognition on iPhone not like Google which is send everything to the cloud.
The point is not which is worse, but that both iOS and Android are highly questionable. And if you don't have with them the same degree of control and freedom that you have with a computer, allowing you delete any data you wish, and stopping any services you don't like, then they aren't trustworthy systems.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's great there is far more exposure to this today then ever, and I am sure there will be a happy balance between a powerful cloud platform that adapts to your needs while also protecting your "private" data.

But Apple's approach is not going to win by simply abstaining from collecting user information. You can't implement AI without collecting information for the system to learn, and trying to build that all into a phone will have significant limitations, including the fact that things like the HomePod will be slaved to iPhones because if that AI is not cloud based and only phone based, Apple will not be able to leverage their accessory devices to be more independent of the phone; that might work well for Apple to force people to buy iPhones to support their entire platform, but in the end consumers will tire of a "smart" speaker that is only smart when a phone is paired to it, just like how people got tired quickly of a Watch that was pretty much useless without an iPhone nearby.

I don't think this is an all or nothing issue. I don't believe that the idea no data should ever be collected is correct, but I do feel that Google et. al. have way too much access to critical personal data and without full transparency and user control and having the ability of knowing where and how and WHO this data will be used for and by, it leaves consumers in a state of FUD about it all.

Apple is not helping by fueling this FUD and constantly touting about how safe and secure and private they are and reprimanding their competition. Apple SHOULD be part of the conversation for useful and safe data collection practices rather then acting like some preachy pontiff acting high and mighty that because they could not figure out how to innovate a decent cloud system and so they discredit their competitions efforts in trying to actually innovate and create a powerful cloud system.

Consumers will be negatively impacted if the government caves in on consumer fear and uncertainty and simply bans collection of user data. There is a far difference from some app or platform collecting usages stats and gaining insight into how a consumer uses their platform and adapting to it vs collecting your name, address, financial information and allowing that information accessed by 3rd parties whether on purpose or because of poorly implemented APIs.

It is important for companies like Apple to put pressure on this issue, but if that pressure is misguided and biased around Apple simply self-promoting their own platform because their competition went a little too far with consumer data, that is not going to be a great future for consumers.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
You should maybe ask yourself why it's so important.

What in the world do you think Google does with my data that effects me in any way? Really, tell me what I'm missing.
[doublepost=1531187179][/doublepost]

Apple will market their way out of it.

That's fine. You are subsidizing your phone via a company selling your information to target ads at you, I'm overpaying for mine so it doesn't. We all have choices and some people love "free" services and don't care that their data is mined (to an extent) to target advertising messages at them. The world is a beautiful place.

Reactions: WannaGoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.