Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

chadmacd

ARN

are you saying there is only one model
the mid models may have a slot load i guess.

who knows we shall see

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Somebody sez: the image isn't there yet, but why would they put up a bogus source code??

To quote the Dead Milkmen:
>From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli
We are all tools of the conspiracy
>From the littlest baby to the biggest V.I.P.
We are all tools of the conspiracy

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
true... suppose it's possible the lower end models have slot loads...

but it would likely be easier for them to design if there was just 1 model...

we'll see soon enough :)

arn

Cisco

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Check out the half black/half white, sometimes left, sometimes right apple logos on those imac scans. What's up with that?

mcbane

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Re: Re: errrmm

Originally posted by Brent Turbo

1.2GHz Dual would be appreciated for WHAT? Everyone is so anxious to get a few thousand megahertz in their computers, but what are you going to use it for? And who could possibly afford it?

If Apple focused less on speed, and more on the digital hub, and changing the face of computing, then everyone would greatly benefit. I use a Mac because I can accomplish things in fewer steps than I could on a PC. The speed of my processor has never been an issue (400MHz G3), and I am a professional graphic designer who uses the Mac every day with large files and multiple applications (and OS9, thank you.)

So, who cares about speed. I want more iDevices and intuitive software.

What would I use the extra speed for? many many things. I may be in the minority but I don't use my mac as a "digital hub", I need it to perform many tough tasks ranging from rendering in cinema 4d and maya, along with some very processor intensive photoshop filters, and quite a bit of rendering quicktime files in adobe premiere. every second it takes to render is one less second I can spend working, and sometimes it is just painstaking to wait for some of these tasks. I need more power which means advances in processors (g4 to g5) and higher clock speeds. also fyi, having dual processors just about halves the time of many rendering tasks.

[Edited by mcbane on 01-07-2002 at 11:17 AM]

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Cisco
Check out the half black/half white, sometimes left, sometimes right apple logos on those imac scans. What's up with that?

that's what we call a "reflection" :)

arn

mmoore00

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2001
Northfield, MN
Originally posted by arn
15-inch Active Matrix LCD, 800-MHz G4 with Velocity Engine, SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-RW), GeForce2 MX Graphics, USB - FireWire - Ethernet, Apple Pro Speakers, AirPort ready, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD

see

http://www.apple.com/home/

The important thing to remember here, is whether the 800 is the high, low, or midrage iMac. Possibly the iMac will go up to 1gHz and blow everyone away ("Full Speed Ahead!")

The g4 in the thing is immense, but will apple push it farther and use 1ghz apollos? I guess we're about to find out!

pixelpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
CNBC 8:30A.M.

CNBC just showed the cover of the times magazine article as the guys standing in front of the moscone center. He said Steve always brings something new and exciting out last, The guy just blows it!
HOW can they come out with new towers when the Crystal Clear savings runs till Jan. 31?

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
Those specs on the applesite must be for the top model. Apple always advertice for the top model and shows prices for the lowest model. I can't see why they should change that now...

reyesg4

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
This is the only thing Apple can do to survive.

Remember, they rely on Motorola for their high end chips so that means they can't get into a speed war with the wintel world. Apple cannot beat the many companies making chips, Apple is only one company. They also cannot beat the competition on price, because that requires you to make more boxy looking Macs with off the shelf parts. Would you buy the new iMac if it looked like a Dell and cost $1,800? Hell No!! It's the design of the hardware in software working together that makes Macs special, it makes them more than a computer and makes them into something you can lust after. If Apple did not make weirder and weirder computers that worked it would not survive. Now that Mac OS X is becoming the crash-less OS, the new macs will be more appliances than computers. This will not help Macs become the dominant OS on the block, but it will keep them around for the next decade. Which is OK with me.

H

h8teiris

that blows

that imac , is ass, dude , what the hell is he thinking!!! , people are *****ing crazy

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
the stream is working...Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream..."

Is that metaphorical?

-Pete

E

europeboy

i can't stream...

all i get is the title and then it goes on until it times out...

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.