Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Sounds like pure spewage to me.

On the other hand, I would think that eventually AT&T and/or Apple would find ways to thwart jailbreaking attempts. This won't last, of course, someone will find a way to thwart the anti-jailbreak system. Its just like anti-piracy measures...totally futile.

But I doubt this link is anything more than pure spew at this point.

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Lol this looks like a paranoid BS posting, and the grammar/editing is terrible.

Even if all the OTA update locking was true and the Facetime data mining really happened, Apple and AT&T would get hit with huge lawsuits.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
DirectTV and Dish network have been doing the same OTA updates to thwart the hacking of their satellite cards with great success for years now and there have been no legal issues with them.

I can see them getting away with the OTA thing without fear of legal issues whatsoever.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
anytime a suggested anonymous Apple employee uses the word "iTouch", I have serious doubts.

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Theres a huge difference between pirating satellite signal and the regular usage of an iPhone.

dmize31287

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Honestly, I could care less about the OTA. The service from ATT is not bad at all near me.

The location information that is sent for a facetime call is another thing I could care less about. I have nothing to hide, and this could be a security precaution more so than a invasion of privacy.

I.E.
"O hai! I'm a terrorist and I have bombs, Facetime with me so I can show you my newest one made out of nail polish, bleach, and my old iphone. Pretty good huh!"

"IMMA JIHAD"

^ Now we have their location and can find a cave with wifi somewhere. Pro stuff.

mike5411

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
If you're not on the AT&T network, how will they know to send the OTA to you since I doubt T-Mobile would go through the trouble of sending an OTA for a device they don't sell but unoffically support. Are you trying to say there is a call home function in iOS4?

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
So Apple and AT&T are pulling the same thing the cable company and satalite companies do. Seems legit to me...they don't want ppl jailbreaking their phones or using them unlocked.

UCF-ENG

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Killing the jailbreak community will be the BIGGEST mistake Apple could ever make IMO... It would completely destroy their grassroots support among the developer community and cause a lot of the folks to move over to the Android platform...

Between that and the privacy issues, if this is true, it is truly disappointing, but not surprising...

fleali88

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2008
Big Brother.....................MOTHER****ER!!!!!

i hate this kind of ****. i think i might sell mine on ebay now.

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
I call BS. The first two points are total crap so the rest must be.

The first point says that AT&T is communicating with my phone every 7 to 14 days. If I'm not on AT&T's network, how exactly is that happening? Yeah, that's what I thought. It isn't. Oh, Apple is doing it for them? And this nets Apple what? Oh right, nothing.

The second point says AT&T had the phones released early. Why exactly was that? What about a 1 to 2 day early release allows them to test or validate anything? Right, it doesn't. And again, this nets Apple what? Oh right, nothing.

It's all complete BS.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If this is true, it is disgusting on both Apple and AT&T's part.

The first point says that AT&T is communicating with my phone every 7 to 14 days. If I'm not on AT&T's network, how exactly is that happening? Yeah, that's what I thought. It isn't. Oh, Apple is doing it for them? And this nets Apple what? Oh right, nothing.

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone answer their own questions like this. Anyway, as for your first question, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there's a "phone home" feature hidden in the iPhone. Frankly, I'd be surprised if there wasn't. And as for what it nets Apple - they get a cut of every monthly bill that customers pay to AT&T. If you're not using AT&T, that's money that Apple is losing.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Killing the jailbreak community will be the BIGGEST mistake Apple could ever make IMO... It would completely destroy their grassroots support among the developer community and cause a lot of the folks to move over to the Android platform...

Between that and the privacy issues, if this is true, it is truly disappointing, but not surprising...

I seriously doubt killing the jailbreak community will hurt anything....not that it will happen, but the JB "community" is more like a highly disorganized rabble of independent homebrew hacks.

Not that I've done anything special...but neither have they.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
FACT 1: If an Apple employee decided to risk his career to get this very important information out to the public, he'd want to go somewhere that reaches the most people most directly.

FACT 2: That does not describe addictivetips.com.

- - -

If they'd said they'd stolen some documents or something that might be a bit more believable...but we're supposed to believe that this Apple employee just woke up one day and just decided to call addictivetips.com?

That's the part I find the most unbelievable.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005

Not really - you're talking what, 10-20K people at most. They just sold 600k iP4's.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
If they'd said they'd stolen some documents or something that might be a bit more believable...but we're supposed to believe that this Apple employee just woke up one day and just decided to call addictivetips.com?

That's the part I find the most unbelievable.
This is sound logic. I should point out, however, that in the comments of that article, the person I take to be the admin at AddictiveTips claims that he sought out the Apple guy, not the other way around. Through what channels, or how he found out about him, he won't say.

Not that it makes it any more credible, certainly.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
OTA updates: Sounds more like carrier settings updates. I don't think this is new at all. Everytime I put a SIM into almost ANY GSM phone like Nokia/SE, it always ask if I want to download updates for the carrier settings. I doubt Apple allows AT&T to mess with the iOS itself.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Man there sure is allot of newbie "news flash" items today. Wish there was a filter for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.