Leaked AT&T doc slams the Palm Pre

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clevin, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There are some good points there. The Pre is over-hyped.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

A lot of those arguments are really weak. But i bet a sales guy will be able to use it none the less.

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

just to be clear, I will be the first in line to buy my Pre. :D

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but how will you deal with the plastic housing, and limited wi-fi?!?!?!

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

ahhh, yeah, My centro is plastic, I have no problem with it, limited wi-fi?...mmmm... when was last time I went to starbucks again? oooooh, 27th of March!:) drive through!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's an advertising memo... what do you expect. The Pre's biggest challenge will be proving it can compete with the App Store. The App Store dramatically changed the dynamics of the iPhone market, and although there have been similar third-party application markets for other phones for at least ... five years? None of them have been successful in the way the App Store has.

More power to Palm. But I shall wait and see if this can save them from the abyss.

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Tv

I've been seeing the Pre on the Sprint commercials the last few days so we're getting close to it's release. It will be interesting to see the impact.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sorry this is the first thing I thought of..... don't ask.

This reminds me of when the "Storm" was coming out. The commercial where the guys hand reachs down and picks up the "Storm", goes whooooo and the screen goes black.

I will be interested in seeing it but the form factor alone is kind of a turn off. I am not going to comment on the product's software until I can see it in action...

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It clearly is an advertising memo from what I can tell. I also bet that it was "leaked" on purpose because it makes it seem like they where doing a comparison for real but instead they "leaked" it to the press so that the slaming does more damage and seems more credible.

10. diemos macrumors 6502

11. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

One of those was released when the iPhone came out while I was working for Sprint. We had a comparison chart comparing the wonderful Samsung Upstage with the iPhone. I couldn't stop laughing. I hated the Upstage, same for the Instinct.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This kind of memo is pretty pro forma for advertising talking points -- others have circulated for the iPhone before, I think, for instance when it first came out, comparing it to more established competitors. As noted above, everyone else does it also, with their devices.

It is a clever strategy to let these things leak, at least when they're high quality. When the talking points are largely bunk, aside from the App Store one (IMHO), and perhaps the quality of music management on the Pre... then it's more risky. :eek:

13. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

AT&T pits Pre against iPhone 3G in internal doc

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/22/att-pits-pre-against-iphone-3g-in-internal-doc/

http://www.precentral.net/att-vs-pre-internal-document-smackdown-oh-no-you-didnt

Want more evidence that the Pre release is imminent? How about AT&T sending a document around their internal network for employees to bone-up on some anti-Pre, pro-iPhone talking points ...and then holding some in-store seminars for employees to make sure they get the message?

There are a few points here that are indisputable, but fans of the Pre might take umbrage at a few of the things here about the Pre (click the image above for the full size):

The Palm Pre "Touchscreen control gestures not intuitive" whereas the iPhone features "Patented Multi-Touch screen" and "Fast and responsive navigation." Hokay.
    The iPhone sports a "Thinner, lighter, bigger screen, metal and glass design" while the Pre is "Available in Black only; plastic casing."
    The Pre gets knocked for not being a GSM world phone and "Limited free Wi-Fi access" because they don't get to use AT&T Hotpots.
    The Pre has an "Unproven App Catalog app store."
    Ok, so we'll leave it as an exercise to our readers to debunk and take issue with any and all of the above (well, here's a start: the weight difference between the iPhone and the Pre: two grams. OH NOES!).

If this feels familiar to anybody, it should. Same thing happened in the months running up to the launch of the BlackBerry Storm, which caused a small flurry of Duelin' Documents between AT&T and RIM. Don't take this lying down, Palm (but don't hurt your relationship with AT&T either, we're eager to see the Pre on AT&T ASAP).

14. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

"AT&T iPhone 3G. Thinner, Lighter, Bigger Screen; Metal and Glass Design.

Hmmm...iPhone 3G and "Metal" design?

15. randomusername macrumors 6502

It has the chrome border. :p

16. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

But that's still plastic isn't it? Maybe designed "like" metal.

Metal+Plastic=....Pletal? :D

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They have to bash the Pre, after all, the iPhone has been like their sugar daddy in getting them new customers.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You think it's news that AT&T is preparing to defend its flagship product...?

19. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

these are just talking points for sales reps to use when a severely uninformed customer mentions the pre.

20. randomusername macrumors 6502

I think that part is metal, actually. If it's plastic then AT&T is lying to us and Apple and their manufacturers did a great job of making plastic look like real metal (something the Samsung Propel Pro and LG Incite failed miserably at).

21. kits macrumors member

If this is really true then AT&T is only getting more people to notice Pre. On specs Palm actually looks very attractive. Especially, their message notifications, contacts managements, and like every other phone in the world it too can do multi-tasking. But, I am not sure how good the screen size will feel.

22. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Palm Pre is hot, but those ATT counterpoints are so lame.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I couldn't translate the first item, but most of it seemed pretty standard and true. The complaint about the color was a little iffy since the iPhone has all of one more (fugly) color option.

The part about the unproven app store should be a huge marketing point. For years, the main knock on Macintosh was there wasn't much good software for it. That has changed quite a bit, and Apple's market share has improved.

AT&T is smart to push those free AT&T WiFi hot spots after they pushed T-Mobile out of a lot of places. That's just smart business. When you can hook up for free at any McDonald's or Starbucks, that's a lotta free WiFi.

I'm banking on the Pre being mostly a dud like the Storm. RIM is doing fine with the "I don't want a touch screen" crowd with the Bold and other models. But Apple right now rules the touch screen "ooh, pretty" market. I know Apple says it wants to make good devices, but plopping an iPod touch+phone device on the market that was maybe $100 would put a huge dent in the cheap phone market.

24. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

1. desktop level multitasking
    2. desktop level multitasking
    3. desktop level multitasking
    4. desktop level multitasking
    5. desktop level multitasking

and

short of app?

how about palm os classic apps, thousands of them

you can't be honestly regarding an AT&T internal memo as remotely fair. Industry is not dumb, and Pre didn't generate huge fanfare for being lame.