Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors suggest Apple will release refreshed versions of the iPad mini and iPad Pro models in the first half of this year, potentially as soon as this month, and a new leak today has provided us with a possible preview of what to expect in terms of the devices' overall design and camera prospects.

sonny-2021-ipad-mini-pro-dummies.jpeg

Tech leaker and Apple blogger Sonny Dickson this morning shared images on Twitter showing dummy versions of the upcoming 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, and a refreshed iPad mini 6. Dummies are usually based on CAD schematics sourced from the Chinese supply chain, and are often used to aid-case makers before the official reveal.

Perhaps the biggest talking point in the photos is the look of the iPad mini, which appears to feature the same general design of the previous model, complete with Home button and thick bezels on the top and bottom, although Dickson suggests the device looks "slightly thicker."

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple will launch a new iPad mini that could measure in at 8.5 to 9 inches, and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has similarly said that the next iPad mini will have a larger display. However, whether the increased screen will mean a larger iPad mini or a bezel reduction has remained unclear, and it's difficult to tell the exact size of the dummy in the images.

Japanese site Mac Otakara has claimed the iPad mini 6 will feature an 8.4-inch display with slimmer bezels and a design similar to the iPad Air 3. But it also claims the new model will continue to feature a Touch ID Home button and a Lightning port, and is therefore not expected to mirror the major design changes seen on the iPad Air and iPad Pro.

That said, Kuo believes Apple is working on a new iPad mini with a mini-LED display, which could be the same iPad mini that is getting a size increase. Again though, it's not clear if that's the same iPad mini that's depicted in these images.

sonny-dickson-2021-ipad-mini-pro-dummies.jpeg

Onto the iPad Pro dummies, the new models appear to have the same dual-lens camera system with LiDAR Scanner. However, the camera bump on the 12.9-inch model appears to protrude less than on the 11-inch model. Rumors suggest the protrusion of the individual lenses in the camera module will be reduced, but the camera itself is still expected to protrude.

Meanwhile, the reduced-bezel designs appear to mirror the current models, bar the Smart Connector that's mysteriously missing on the bottom of the 12.9-inch model. Dickson has confirmed to MacRumors that the connector doesn't appear anywhere else on the dummy, and it's hard to know if its omission is intentional or a mistake. Other than that, it's difficult to tell the exact screen sizes and dimensions of the iPad Pro models from the photos, but there are no major design changes expected.

Gurman has said that new iPad Pro models will have an updated A14X processor that is "on par" with the M1 chip in the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini, along with better cameras. A mini-LED display will be included with "at least" the larger 12.9-inch ‌iPad Pro‌, with the display upgrade bringing improved brightness and contrast ratios. This is in line with other rumors that we've heard, and most of the information suggests the upgraded display technology will be limited to the 12.9-inch ‌iPad Pro‌.

Apple has also reportedly tested iPad Pros with a Thunderbolt connector that would make them compatible with additional external monitors, hard drives, and peripherals, plus it brings faster data syncing speeds, but it is unclear if the feature will be included on the final 2021 models. Apple's Mac machines have featured Thunderbolt technology for years now, but current iPad Pro and iPad Air models have standard USB-C ports.

We're still waiting to hear concrete details about a possible April event from Apple, but Gurman has claimed that the company plans to announce new iPads as early as this month, including new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models. Whether they arrive via press release or are announced at a digital-only event remains to be seen.

Article Link: Leaked Dummy Units Show iPad Mini 6 With Thick Bezels and Home Button, New iPad Pro Models

Last edited:
Reactions: Julianne

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
I’m predicting the iPad model will go and going forward it’ll just be iPad Air(with a mini option) and Pro models.

Reactions: MrFootery

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Very lazy by apple, the mini has been around since 2012 and this is the best they can do, give it a proper redesign or don't bother releasing it. 🤦‍♂️
Well, I mean, in fairness it is a CAD dummy. But I think Apple has done actually a really decent job in terms of expanding the iPad line up with different sizes, prices, accessories, ect. And in the tablet industry, there’s not much competition, especially since Samsung pretty much has been on a losing battle ground with Apple for years now in the tablet industry.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Are we sure that these aren't just older iPads? I don't any difference whatsoever...
Well, it is a rumor, right? Nothing is confirmed based off these dummy units. I think 50% of the time when we see dummy units surface on the iPhones, iPads, etc., they’re generally never factual entirely. We’ve seen this time and time again from Macrumors reports over the years.

Reactions: putodelrey and max2

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
Why can't Apple make a mini sized iPad Pro. It would sell like hot cakes.
TBF that’s what people here were saying about the iPhone SE.
Which Apple then made.
And which, in Apple terms, flopped.

I suspect Apple have got detailed market research backing up which variants are actually in demand and plan accordingly.

Personally I’d have thought a small display would count against a Pro device, far too limiting for pro use surely?

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
For those who want pro mini. What is the usages you see for the mini that also use full performance of A14X?

Note pad? well any iPad will do
Video /photo editing? You probably very soon wants a larger screen.
Reading books: any iPad will do
Games: possible use case for portable gaming but it is an expensive solution.

aknabi

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
As many others here I'd love (and buy) an iPad Mini Pro (and I have a 2018 iPP with no desire to upgrade that for the next few years).

My fact-free guess is that Apple keeps the iPad mini primarily for those large commercial deployments that use it... in those cases they just need replacements and maybe more speed... actually a new form factor may increase costs for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.