Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, serial mobile leaker Evan Blass shared a leaked image of Samsung's forthcoming Galaxy S10 lineup, confirming earlier rumors that it will initially consist of three models to compete directly with Apple's latest devices, the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

samsung-galaxy-s10-lineup-2019.jpg
Leaked official image via @evleaks

The handsets shown in the image are encased in clear covers and understood to be (from left to right) the S10E, the S10, and the S10+. All of the phones adopt Samsung's new edge-to-edge Infinity-O display, which features a small cutout at the upper right side of the device for the camera.

The S10 with 6.1-inch display is the mid-range device, while the S10E with 5.8-inch display is expected to be the most affordable model and appears in the image with two cameras on the rear where the other two phones have three. Meanwhile the premium S10+ with 6.4-inch display features two front-facing cameras housed within a longer pill-shaped hole punch.

Samsung is able to use a single camera cutout for the S10 because it has less technology than Apple's latest iPhones, which use a notch design to house the TrueDepth camera system that enables Face ID.

However, as suggested in the image, all the devices in the S10 line-up are expected to use in-display fingerprint scanners for authentication instead of the rear-mounted scanners featured on earlier Galaxy models.

Details on the phones' internal specs remain murky, although publicly shared benchmarks recently revealed the new S10+ model has 6GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 855 processor, earning the device lower Geekbench scores than Apple's latest iPhones.

In other news, Samsung's rumored 5G variant of its upcoming flagship, the tentatively named "Galaxy S10 X", has reportedly appeared in a recent firmware development. According to Sam Mobile, the software build references only South Korean carriers, suggesting development for the U.S. and European markets has yet to reach a similar stage.

Other rumored specs for the S10 X include a 6.7-inch Super AMOLED display, a 5,000 mAh battery and four rear cameras. The 5G model is expected to appear in the second quarter of 2019, with one report pegging it for a launch in late March.

Samsung's Unpacked Galaxy S10 launch event will take place on Wednesday, February 20 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California, where the company is also expected to demo a functioning version of its all-new foldable phone, dubbed the "Galaxy Fold".

Article Link: Leaked Image Shows Three Models in Samsung Galaxy S10 Line-up

Sykora171

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2015
Pittsburgh
I have not used Android in a few years, has it gotten better? I wonder how these phones would do running iOS (if it were possible of course)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Obviously, these are popular and sell in droves.

But high-end flagship sales are slowing down, so they are gradually becoming reference designs for the Galaxy A series in 1-2 years (plus certain other manufacturers who rely on Samsung screens).

- hole punch camera
- multiple rear cameras
- in-display fingerprint (hope they nail it)

All of these are already on other phones, and the pace of "innovation" is changing.

The Folding Phone will be a fascinating starting point, not a truly great complete device.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

But high-end flagship sales are slowing down, so they are gradually becoming reference designs for the Galaxy A series in 1-2 years (plus certain other manufacturers who rely on Samsung screens).

- hole punch camera
- multiple rear cameras

All of these are already on other phones, and the pace of "innovation" is changing.

The Folding Phone will be a fascinating starting point, not a truly great complete device.

I'm going for the s10+ i reckon as my s7 edge is a bit long in the tooth. Apple Music finally runs stable on Android for me now though so that's an added bonus.

Personally I like the fold from phone to tablet idea but I reckon it'll take a couple of years to settle into it's groove.

Meanwhile my ipad mini 2 is doing me really nicely as a casual web daily driver but recently the battery has started to die super quick... Like even in a day of non use. Do i need a new battery is the question....

Reactions: JaySoul

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon

- hole punch camera
- multiple rear cameras

You don't even have to wait for that. In a few months you will be able to get a nice new S10 for less than half XS.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
So, last year was the year of the notch, & this year will the year of the hole puncher. Jeez!

Reactions: Jovijoker

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Back looks neat.
a good design without any doubt.
I really hate the lumpy camera in recent iPhones,but let’s really hope the recent picture from next iPhone is fake because its so bad that it’s humiliating.

dvffffffffff.jpg

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
I have not used Android in a few years, has it gotten better? I wonder how these phones would do running iOS (if it were possible of course)

Android as a whole has gotten better. The biggest problem is the lack of software updates. The standard $1,000 Android phone in the US still does not have the latest Android Pie due to restrictions from mobile carriers. You should never let a mobile carrier tell you when to upgrade your software. Ever.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK

I think they are excellent now. My Galaxy S5 pretty much ground to a halt on the old system software after 3 years and eventually stopped working altogther. I'm currently running an S7 Edge for the last 18 months and it's as fast and as slick as it was out of the box, great camera too. I can't really tell the difference between it and my wife's S9 in terms of speed to be honest, the gap from 5 to 7 was massive but it's all but disappeared from 7 to 9 in my opinion, but yes I think they're very good now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So the website seems to focus on rumours alongside news and this looks like a pretty credible rumour/leak of a competing product. I think it’s more about the rumour than the news.
Every smartphone maker is going to have a new phone this year and shocker...it will have an improved camera. I don’t see how that’s news. To me if there’s any news from these photos it’s that the GS10 appears to look just like the GS9 except for the camera arrangement. Is everyone going to complain about Samsung’s lack of innovation because this phone aesthetically looks like it’s predecessors?
[doublepost=1548075867][/doublepost]
Competition is a good thing.
Yes competition in Android land is a good thing though Samsung might not agree. ;)

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I’m amazed things like this still make news. It’s the back of a phone. What’s newsworthy?
If you're familiar with other smartphones like Samsung Galaxy their fingerprint scanner is on the back. If you look closely that scanner is no longer there, either they completely switched to face scanner only or added in-display fingerprint scanner. If Samsung adopted the in-display fingerprint scanner it's going to be a big deal just like Apple adopted NFC. Just to show if a famous brand like Apple and Samsung make some feature standard it's going to be widely adopted even Apple might follow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.