Leaked Images Reveal Google 'Pixel' Smartphones Ahead of October 4th Event

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

U.K. mobile retailer Carphone Warehouse was today guilty of publishing a series of visuals and spec slides for Google's upcoming own-branded smartphones, a day ahead of their official unveiling (via 9to5Google).

[​IMG]

Due to be announced at the company's October 4th San Francisco event, Google's 5-inch 'Pixel' and 5.5-inch 'Pixel XL' smartphones feature Snapdragon 821 processors and 4GB RAM, a 2770mAh battery for the Pixel and a 3450mAh battery for the Pixel XL, and screen resolutions of 1080x1920 and 1440x2560, respectively.

[​IMG]

Both similar-looking handsets are available in black or white, and come with a choice of 32GB and 128GB storage capacities with the addition of a microSD slot for storage expansion, as well as what appears to be a headphone jack on the top and a USB-C port on the bottom. A 12-megapixel camera on the back, an 8-megapixel front-facing camera, and a circular fingerprint scanner on the rear also feature.

[​IMG]

The pulled slides from the U.K. retailer's website also show off a number of Google software services on the Android Nougat 7.1 powered devices, including free photo storage via Google Photos, and the company's Duo video chat and Allo messaging apps, not to mention a quick charge feature that claims seven hours' battery life after 15 minutes of charging.

[​IMG]

The two smartphones signal the company's first foray into own-branded phones in the manner of Apple and Samsung, and will allow it to have more control over the hardware running its Android OS.

[​IMG]

Google is said to be relying on HTC to manufacture the devices, which will be unveiled tomorrow along with a number of other expected hardware announcements, including the company's Amazon Alexa competitor, Google Home, a Daydream VR headset, 4K Chromecast 'Ultra', plus a successor to its OnHub wireless router.

Article Link: Leaked Images Reveal Google 'Pixel' Smartphones Ahead of October 4th Event

2. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

Interesting...
    Why have a 128 gb storage option with an SD card slot?
    My ignorance of Android may be showing...

3. miscend macrumors regular

4. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

"Every touch, every moment, every interaction..." Logged by us to sell your data track your every move and manipulate you. Ah Google, finally they are being honest...

5. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Does it have a headphone jack? That is the question.

6. JOLoughlin macrumors member

JOLoughlin

“Don’t think different, think same”
    -Michael Dell (parody)

7. ToM7 macrumors 6502

ToM7

well, hello there iPhone 5 google copycat

Attached Files:

8. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Bezel appears to be almost as big as on the iPhone. No me likey

looks like it does judging by the second picture

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Looks very similar to my iPhone 7 in silver. None the less, I am curious to see how well it do. Consumers like options.

10. coolfactor macrumors 68040

People keep saying it looks like an iPhone. I'm curious how they can *not* make it look like an iPhone and keep it simple and elegant.

11. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

with a headphone jack.

12. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Experience Pixel, the first iPhone clone* that actually costs as much as the real thing!

*comes with free 18 months software support

13. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Curious why they didn't call it the G phone... with their new G suite, etc. I figured they were moving to a new Alphabet(ical) naming scheme for everything.

14. MarrkDJ macrumors newbie

I'm so disappointed it has a headphone jack. Would be cool if it hadn't.

15. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Yes, there are people that will never move away from Android, so having another Samsung contender is a very good thing!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2016 ---
    I can see the keynote now... "and it has a headphone jack!"... rubbing it in Apple's face. Leave it to Google execs to stoop so low... we shall see soon enough.

17. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

Is that a mirror on the back of the phone? Hairdressers can use the back camera for selfies.

18. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

The USB-C port for charging is also a good move. But no mention of an OLED display?

19. atropos macrumors regular

1440x2560.. the resolution is just as same as my 27 inch display.... geez

20. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Samsung did the same thing, and see what happened to their Note 7 phone.

21. thatJohann macrumors 65816

thatJohann

Nice quick charging feature but that is an ugly phone. Jeez.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Pixel hardly resembles the iPhone 5. If anything, it resembles the iPhone 6 Series.

23. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Even the wallpaper blatantly copies iOS 10's

653A71D0-C036-4199-99FF-B9B4F50A72E2.jpg

Also the phone looks like a sorry Chinese knock-off, but maybe that's just me? :rolleyes:

24. 0098386 Suspended

Very interested in this. I've had a play with a few Android-devices and I haven't found one with a high quality Apple-like feel, as in build materials, hardware-software integration. I'm hoping a Google developed phone will fix that last one. would love to either move away from Apple phones or for there to be such a decrease in its userbase that they start to push the market forward again.