Leaked iPhone 8 Screen Protector Includes Reduced Bezels and Front-Facing Camera Cutout

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

New images and a video of a screen protector for the upcoming "iPhone 8" have been posted to the Chinese social network site Weibo and shared recently by leaker Benjamin Geskin and leak aggregation site SlashLeaks. The tempered glass screen protector is said to be made for Apple's upcoming iPhone 8 with a 5.8-inch display, and represents a design that falls in line with current rumors for the unreleased iPhone.

The screen protector's bezels are noticeably thin and are the same thickness all the way around, with the exception of the front-facing cutout for the device's camera and various sensors. Although reports have failed to largely agree upon how Apple will incorporate the iPhone 8's front camera into a device with dramatically thinner bezels, recent renders have suggested a minor cutout for the camera, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, and potentially a 3D sensing module.

[​IMG]

To make the cutout less noticeable, iOS could then use deep black technology provided by the new OLED screen to make the area atop the screen appear like one uninterrupted dark strip. As Geskin tweeted out over the weekend, the new tempered glass screen protector aligns nicely with his previous iPhone 8 renderings.

[​IMG]
    Called the "Olixar iPhone 8 Full Cover Tempered Glass Screen Protector" and priced at $31.99, the MobileFun description for the accessory says that it supports 3D Touch and provides edge-to-edge protection for the iPhone 8's screen. The screen protector is also said to include a 2.5D rounded edge, supporting the rumor that the iPhone 8 will include a flat OLED display.

In a separate image posted on SlashLeaks today, another screen protector manufacturer has leaked a picture of an iPhone 8 accessory, claiming the 5.8-inch iPhone will be dubbed the "Decade Edition." This name has never been mentioned in previous reports on potential name schemes for the iPhone 8, so it's best to remain skeptical about its veracity.

Following a report last year that Apple employees were referring to the 2017 iPhone as the "iPhone 8," that nomenclature has largely become the go-to title for the 5.8-inch device. More recently, Japanese site Mac Otakara has suggested that the device could be called the "iPhone Edition," marking the new iPhone as a higher-end device similar to the Apple Watch Edition. The "Edition" name would furthermore differentiate it from the iterative iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus updates also expected to launch this fall.

Article Link: Leaked iPhone 8 Screen Protector Includes Reduced Bezels and Front-Facing Camera Cutout

2. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Why would a screen protector have the black section at the top, and not just cutouts in the transparent plastic/glass like all other screen protectors.

3. Sunny1990, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

Much nicer looking than the Samsung, but apple should make upper portion like this.

IMG_0316.PNG

Black camera and speaker grill cutout on top of the screen protector looks awful.it should be transparent like all other screen protectors.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Nice to see Apple eliminating all the wasted space on the front, but also sad to see the home button go after being on every iPhone made in the past decade.

5. SoN1NjA, Jun 19, 2017

SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

No, no, no... Apple please don't release this!

I'd rather have very small top and bottom bezels like the Galaxy S8 over a random black bar at the top. What happened to uniformity?

6. Freida macrumors 65816

Those camera cut outs are just so ugly. Where is the sense of design? either have a small band on the top and bottom or don't have anything. This just looks weird

7. Sunny1990, Jun 19, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

But How will touch id work[recognize finger]under the glass screen protector? if it's embedded in the display.

i think there should be a separate cutout for the touch id like this :-
    IMG_0318.PNG

8. Hemmik macrumors newbie

This makes no sense. Don’t just copy every little rumour you find on the web. A part which looks completely the same accompanied by a back panel and camera lens is called front panel in this Macrumors article. Besides, it makes no sense that the top part without a OLED beneath it would be black.

9. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

If they use the deep black of OLED to produce a strip across the top, then there’s not gonna be any white iPhone 8 then.... so I call BS.

10. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

hmm, not feeling that top line there.

edit - still getting it though. my iP6 is slugging to the finish line right now.

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Remember the teardrop phone we were getting in 2011? Didn't we have leaked cases for that too?

12. themachugger macrumors member

oh my god, with everybody talking about the "shoulders" or cutouts of the screen image area at the top. Sites like BGR even use it as click bait: "ugliest design evarrr" they scream. Apple will almost surely make the pixels dark left to right with the usual signal strength and battery life and then some smarmy editor will pat him/herself on the back for "giving Apple the idea." ...no.

13. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Wow, a “leaked” screen protector! Not that it could be made by any idiot based on the speculation we’ve already had and not necessarily any real parts leaks. Please stop writing headlines like that.

This is shaping up to be 2011’s iPhone 5 hype all over again with “leaked” dummies, which actually aren’t leaks. Then turned out that the designs were completely made up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an iPhone 7s instead this year.

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Agreed. It appears there would be no purpose to duplicate the black section on a screen protector. Furthermore, it seems like it would significantly up the risk that the model from which they are working might position something slightly more left or right than expected, making something like this NOT align when the real thing rolls out. Make it a cut out or perhaps even just clear glass (if that could work) and their own manufacturing risk would go way down, as it wouldn't matter if the prototype model got positioning on that particular tech exactly right or not.

I'm going to have to assume that they tried it with a cutout and as plain glass and it didn't look or feel right, so they had to resort to duplicating the black layer too. I suppose if there was a cutout, it might look like a person chipped a perfectly-shaped hole out of the top of their screen???

I'm going to declare fake though, soley on trimmed fingernails. ;)

15. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

To be fair why do you assume there's going to be a white iPhone 8 to begin with?

16. redmac macrumors regular

Why do you assume it's not going to work? Touch ID requires a glass surface and screen protectors are made of glass.

17. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

Agreed. I don't get why so many mock-ups have the wallpaper extending to the top of the screeen. Yours is much more likely to be what they'd do, if this design is correct.

18. gpat macrumors 6502a

Hi there.
    [​IMG]

19. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

After a while you'll hardly miss it. Like the knobs on a TV or the physical number pad on a mobile phone.
    I'm definitely getting it. My 6+ is still going strong, but I'm ready...for faster TouchID, for 3D Touch, for live photos, for portrait mode, and for whatever new capabilities the "iPhone 8" brings to the table.

20. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

This is what the article mentions. I think they'll certainly go this route.

21. nabeel24 macrumors member

I think it's actually a good design. It allows Apple to use the left side to output signal/wifi info and output Battery/Bluetooth, portrait mode lock/GPS info to the right side.

Having a black strip would create another line to display that info. I think this is good use of area.

22. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

A reasonable assumption given the history of iPhone's I would have guessed.

23. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

That S8 sure does look nice with the rumored iP8 camera module and iOS icons 'shopped on it.:p:D
    Well, 'cept that upper right corner. :eek:

24. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

25. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

I want to downgrade my display size to the SE (current: iPhone 7) However, I can't go without 3D Touch. I really hope the next SE has 3D Touch!