Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A photo of what appears to be dozens of iPhone 5C devices being put through a testing process has appeared on the Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo. The photo was first noticed by the French site NowhereElse, though Engadget has done some additional digging on the image.

Engadget discovered, according to the original poster's Sina Weibo profile, that the shot was taken at a Pegatron plant in Shanghai, China and that she apparently joined Pegatron's quality control department in mid-July.

iphone5c.jpg
According to her posts, the cheeky employee -- or more likely an ex-employee at this point -- in question joined the company's quality control department around mid-July. In an earlier comment, she also hinted that her plant is responsible for the latest Mac mini as well. The above photo was published yesterday, and it only came with the following caption:

"The low-end iPhone 5C to be launched for Chinese consumers in September doesn't look much different than the Xiaomi Phone 2, right?"
Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 5C at its media event on September 10, with the 5C -- available in a number of different colors -- replacing the existing iPhone 5 in its lineup.

The iPhone 5S, equipped with a fingerprint sensor in the home button and new 128GB and gold color options, is expected to be the new flagship iPhone.

Article Link: Leaked Photo Shows Dozens of iPhone 5C Devices Being Tested at iPhone Manufacturer Pegatron

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
So Xiaomi infiltrated Pegatron like Samsung infiltrated Macrumors.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Much like the 3GS, the faceplate will be black rather than white. Will have to see what that will look like live.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Testing the ability of polycarbonate to dissipate heat during elevated charge temperatures? Sounds like a good idea.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Wow - this is terrible.

I've seen real mobile phone testing racks. Either this is fake, or these people have no idea of what they're doing.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
FINALLY the evidence we need that there really is a 5C! 'Cause up to this point it was a confusing mess!

Thank you internets, I salute you!

Mission Accomplished! Major spy operations have ended, MacRumors and their allies have prevailed!

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Much like the 3GS, the faceplate will be black rather than white. Will have to see what that will look like live.

There maybe white face plates with other colors but all that is shown are white backs.

Look at ipod touch. Black face plate only found on Black 32gb.
Any other color choice you get a white face place. Unless you by the 16gb which gives you black face, silver back.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Black front on the white model?

Hmm...

Yea thats a real bummer. The all white would have been great. I don't know that white face would work well with the other colors that we've seen, but the black face with those colors is going to be.... bad.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
"The low-end iPhone 5C to be launched for Chinese consumers in September doesn't look much different than the Xiaomi Phone 2, right?"
This makes it seem like the iPhone 5C will only e launching for the Chinese market, and not everyone else. Yet MacRumors keeps reporting that the 5C will replace the 5. :confused:

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Black front on the white model?

Hmm...

I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually think the contrast looks good. Also, the logo on the back will be black to match.

How this looks with the other colors, it's hard to say.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Wow - this is terrible.

I've seen real mobile phone testing racks. Either this is fake, or these people have no idea of what they're doing.

We all know iPhones work in here. Apparently Pegatron is attempting to test in more "real world" environments.

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
There maybe white face plates with other colors but all that is shown are white backs.

The images we have seen of the various coloured back-plates all show black logos, suggesting that this will be matched by black glass on the front as the only available combination.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Looks like is a real picture people. From what the sources tell us, this indeed is not a fake. I think its hilarious personally. I will be strictly buying the iPhone 5S when it makes its debut here within the next couple of weeks. Although this iPhone 5C does look interesting, I'm still a fan of only the highest grade products and not wanted to cut standards for any device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.