Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I guess mostly enthusiast will be upgrading. From what I see in the real world, most are hanging on to their older iPhone. Apples biggest competition is itself.

I’m pretty much skipping upgrades until iOS no longer supports my X.

Same here. I think that the X really fulfills all needs and wants I have. Better camera is tempting, but not enough to make me pay $x,xxx.

I waited for the XS but I agree, a $1k+ phone is a whole new level. I never pandered to Apples annual upgrade cycle, I was always on the 2 year (ish) cycle. I almost held out with my 7+ for a third year but ultimately gave in for the XS. I think I'll have it for 3 years or until it breaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Dee

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I guess mostly enthusiast will be upgrading. From what I see in the real world, most are hanging on to their older iPhone. Apples biggest competition is itself.

Same here... I went from the 7 to the XS and I guess I will keep it for at least one or two more years.

I wish Apple would release something more interesting, I had high hopes after iOS 13 came out even tho we were requesting such features for 5-8 years...

Come on Apple! Just read the Macrumors forums or reviews on YouTube, that would help you get a clue... stop blaming Tech/Tax war, "peak iPhone" or battery replacement, start by giving users what they want.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
With such a hideous bump, they sure want that mobile photography crown back..

1500x500

This actually looks good.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Huh? Where have you been?

We typically see logic board leaks in July and August. The iPhone X logic board was leaked in late August 2017.

We already know the colors for iPhone 11 will remain the same but with frosted glass.

The 11R will get green and lavender colors.
Yeah I already know all that information. Even in 2017 Apple was hard on leaks. If you recall in 2016, we knew all colors, storage configurations, and internal specs. I already knew to go for the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black ( Piano Black In leaks) 128 gig and it was only in July. I am already aware of the upcoming new 11R colors. I'm referring to the premium models. The point that I'm making is that after 2016, leaks were now hard to come by.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
ELI5 How comes only the 7+ is exactly 3GB DRAM and the rest aren’t exactly 3GB or 4GB DRAM? And why do the X and XR act like 1.8GB DRAM devices. Genuinely curious.

Read my comment earlier. Smartphone chipsets are shared memory devices where the GPU and functions like the camera take RAM away from the OS to run their functions. Exactly like integrated video on a computer.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yeah I already know all that information. Even in 2017 Apple was hard on leaks. If you recall in 2016, we knew all colors, storage configurations, and internal specs. I already knew to go for the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black ( Piano Black In leaks) 128 gig and it was only in July. I am already aware of the upcoming new 11R colors. I'm referring to the premium models. The point that I'm making is that after 2016, leaks were now hard to come by.

What is hard to come by?

If the specs don't change, Kuo isn't going to release a note saying, "nothing has changed" and draw up a big table. The premium colors are remaining the same.

We already know the camera situation. We already know the RAM. We already know the antennas. We already know the base storage.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
As long as it lasts 2 days I don’t care what the board looks like. More battery please!!

No I don’t want the XR either.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
What is hard to come by?

If the specs don't change, Kuo isn't going to release a note saying, "nothing has changed" and draw up a big table. The premium colors are remaining the same.

We already know the camera situation. We already know the RAM. We already know the antennas. We already know the base storage.
Didn't we get information in January that the premium 2019 iPhones might also come in Blue?

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Si
If it was credible, MR would have posted it in their Roundup.
If it was credible, MR would have posted it in their Roundup.
Sigh... Same colors but with frosted glass. Knowing me seeing those phones in the Keynote I'll be tempted to pre- order for one anyhow. Space gray for me then. Can't help myself when I say i love iPhones lol!

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
C’mon people still complaining about the added cameras?
People, if you don’t want more features or cameras, stay with your old phone. No one is making you buy a new phone. Keep your old phone and stop whining.
Since when did you have a monopoly on peoples opinions on aesthetics? Just asking.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have a 7 plus.
Works great still and I will for sure replace it when the battery dies.
I suppose I can pull one more year out of it which will lead me to around 3.5-4 years / phone.

Spending money on the latest and greatest ESPECIALLY on the iphone is money down the drain for most people.
Just to have 3 cameras... useless....for many.

I do believe there might be the ones who have serious need for the cameras but honestly... FB, Mail, Messages, Web Browsing, Music and picture taking is still great on older models.

Unless you game a lot... but for that I would recommend and PC or a console.

My rules is always buy the latest and greatest when your device is dead. (talking about iPhones here)
A friend of mine uses 5S and was showing off some gorgeous pictures he took of his daughter. Really couldn’t tell the difference even if it was XS. When I look at my usage pattern, the camera is already good enough as it is and for social media and the web, you really don’t need the latest and the greatest. The environment is suggesting as much, I see people everyday with Touch ID models, social media selfies show people with Touch ID models. You do see the newer ones, but its not saturating the market. Maybe thats a good thing for Apple, it means, there will be a ripe upgrade market over the next few years.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
If Cook & Schiller had ANY Software Dev experience, they would NOT have made those mistakes.

I don't see why Cook and Schiller would be, or would need to be, involved in deciding how much RAM to surface to the OS.

Also, if there was even a single EE or Software Dev on the Apple Board, Apple as a company would NOT have made those mistakes !

I don't know about the board or why that would be relevant. I assume you don't mean the Board of Directors but the Executive Team. It has three computer scientists, three mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer, a biologist, a physicist, and a chemist.
[doublepost=1562633451][/doublepost]
Again with the camera. Do people buy iPhones just for the camera?

The camera is one of the big reasons to get a high-end smartphone at all. Many other applications are served just fine with a $300 device at this point.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

"Apples biggest competition is itself."

100% Correct

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Dude, using an iPhone - any iPhone - to take family pictures is "cheaping out". Any real camera will do better. Even my ancient Olympus E-M1 will put any smartphone to shame when I pair it with a good lens like the Panaleica Nocticron, so that's what I'll use to take pictures of my kid.

I own a DSLR but it’s too large for everyday use, I always have my phone on me so having the best phone camera I can is important to me as well, I completely agree that a dedicated camera will always give better results but it’s just not practical to always have one with you in my experience.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
C’mon people still complaining about the added cameras?
People, if you don’t want more features or cameras, stay with your old phone. No one is making you buy a new phone. Keep your old phone and stop whining.

Since when did you have a monopoly on peoples opinions on aesthetics? Just asking.

Yeah man

Some people on the internet are just so dense and egoistic.

All I did was made an comment on how they really the mobile photography crown back as they really went all out on the bump this time

Would actually be getting one to upgrade my X which is btw is running really fine and strong

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Okay this sounds/looks interesting.. can anyone provide more depth?

What in the blazing wrench are you blathering about?

Ok, what?
Guys, here is one post from the same member:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a11-a12-performance-controller-hardware-bug.2186474/

The thing is, even according to konqerror, iPhone CPU and GPU shares the same RAM Just like Intel integrated graphics share system memory with CPU, it might still not matter much. And I also have no idea why iPhone 7 Has true 3GB of RAM when all other iPhones might dedicate a certain amount of RAM to GPU.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Good luck with that new phone... My expectations for this year are really low. Newer CPU, possibly -but not certainly- more RAM and more cameras.
IMHO iPhone will only be interesting again once they remove the notch (as already demonstrated by the competition) or if the hardware is too slow to keep up.
Dude, using an iPhone - any iPhone - to take family pictures is "cheaping out". Any real camera will do better. Even my ancient Olympus E-M1 will put any smartphone to shame when I pair it with a good lens like the Panaleica Nocticron, so that's what I'll use to take pictures of my kid.
Mhm... comparing a DSLR (or DSLR sized) camera to an iPhone? For at home, that's OK, but do you always have your DSLR with you? Surely, the real bokeh, depth of field of a proper lens can't be compared to a smartphone. I don't know the HDR capability of your Olympus, but in difficult lighting the iPhone outperforms most DSLR easily. And what matters more is that you got the geotagged picture right on your phone, ready for editing & redistribution. I found this missing link between camera and phone to be a major show stopper in most casual situations. Also, I really like the iPhones Live pictures. Because they actually bring life to pictures... The irony is that those live pictures take up less space than a RAW from a decent camera. Let alone the HEIC of the iPhone which is roughly 2MB iirc which is less than 10% of a normal RAW shot.
As such I find the term "cheaping out" inappropriate.
Anyway, it's sad that we are still stuck with 2D pictures. I mean, why not put stereoscopy imaging in smartphones? That would not just improve depth measurment but also allow pictures & vides to be viewed in "3D" using (e.g.) VR headsets...

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Guys, here is one post from the same member:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a11-a12-performance-controller-hardware-bug.2186474/

The thing is, even according to konqerror, iPhone CPU and GPU shares the same RAM Just like Intel integrated graphics share system memory with CPU, it might still not matter much. And I also have no idea why iPhone 7 Has true 3GB of RAM when all other iPhones might dedicate a certain amount of RAM to GPU.

yes I remember that thing about Performance controller, and it turns out it was false.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Let alone the HEIC of the iPhone which is roughly 2MB
Mine takes somewhere from 3MB to 5MB per photo. So slightly larger than your typical size. But I guess that is fine, given iPhone otherwise has 512GB storage nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.