Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Leaked Photos of Next Generation iPhone?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Images claiming to depict the back cover of an upcoming iPhone have started circulating on the internet. iPodObserver first posted a version of the above photo that allegedly depicts an unreleased 16GB iPhone with the model number A1303. This new iPhone case is said to "shed its glossy appearance for a matte black look" and also introduce a new case-back made of metal. The site seems confident in the photo and reminded readers that they were also responsible for publishing an early back-case photo of the iPhone 3G.

MacRumors has also received images that appear to be from the same series. While we can't confirm their authenticity, we present them for discussion given iPodObserver's apparent belief in them. The images have reportedly come from China and are said to depict the back-casing of the next iPhone. The case is also said to be textured for better gripping.

The original iPhone came with aluminum back casing. This design eventually gave way to a smooth plastic curved back of the current iPhone 3G.

Article Link: Leaked Photos of Next Generation iPhone?

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
My, my! That looks incredible, I'd greatly prefer it versus my glossy back.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Returning to a metal back would be nice, though I seem to recall my original iPhone had a partial black plastic back for the antenna.

Comment

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
The matte is SO much better than the glossy. . . . Are we talking about iPhones or MacBook Displays?

Comment

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Wow.

I really like that. Can't believe my baby is going to be considered "old" in a couple of months :(

And doesn't look like we'll be apple to upgrade cheaply since our 3Gs were subsidized (unlike original iPhone owners.)

Comment

Scott24

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Missed the boat

I think this would have been believable a few months back. This is far too much like the old black macbook. Would it be be totally out of the question that the new iPhone matched in with the rest of the mac/macbook line up? Who knows, they may go back to aluminum for the unibody look.

I don't really see them making the phones have the same finish as an old 13" plastic macbook.

Comment

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
hm....

i just hope the metal back doesnt change the weight that much cuz i LOVED the feel of the iphone 3g...

Comment

Garissimo

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Very interesting. Do I see an indication of a ring around the camera opening which could possibly be for an LED flash, or am I seeing things?

Comment

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I think the black glossy looks nicer.

That thing is going to be greasy like none other (think black Macbook except worse).

Comment

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Man, it seems like just yesterday that I was huddled outside the AT&T store at 2 a.m., trying to stay warm in the freezing rain, thinking about my upcoming iPhone 3G. Guess I'll be doing it all over in June...

Comment

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Bringing back the metal!

Im sorry it might just be the "Shiny" Apple "Reality Distortion" but I'd much rather have aluminum backing back! It just has a better feel to it- Heck lets go Uni-Body iPhone 3G, each iphone carved from a brick! :)p)

Seriously though, I'm hoping for the metal back!

Comment

RQPS

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Looks good! Hope it makes waiting to upgrade from my first gen worth it.

Comment

paetrick

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
MHM !!! hate the glossy back, feels greasy and get many scratches, me would love that iphone !

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.