Leaker: 'iPhone 12 Pro' to Come With 6GB of RAM

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Later this year, Apple is expected to release four OLED iPhones in three display sizes, including 5.4, 6.7, and two 6.1-inch models. Rumors suggest the 6.7-inch iPhone and one 6.1-inch model will be higher-end devices, and now leaker @L0vetodream has corroborated previous rumors about the internal specs of Apple's upcoming lineup.

Rumors suggest Apple will use 5-nanometer A14 chips in its 2020 iPhone lineup that will be smaller, faster, and more battery efficient due to improved thermal management. And to accommodate these improvements, @L0vetodream claims the Pro models will feature 6GB of RAM, while the mid-level models will retain the same 4GB of RAM that all iPhone 11 models have.

Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis previously said he believes the iPhone 12 Pro models will feature 6GB RAM, while the iPhone 12 will have 4GB RAM. UBS analysts also believe the four iPhones in development will feature varying amounts of RAM. They're expecting a 6.7-inch iPhone with 6GB RAM, a 6.1-inch iPhone with 6GB RAM, a 6.1-inch iPhone with 4GB RAM, and a 5.4-inch iPhone with 4GB RAM.

The anonymously-run Twitter account @L0vetodream accurately revealed several details about the new ‌iPhone SE‌ before any other leakers that we know of, including that the device would launch in the second week of April and come in three storage capacities. Likewise, the account accurately claimed that new iPad Pro models would launch in the third week of March. It has also hinted at a 2021 release for a rumored 14-inch MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Leaker: 'iPhone 12 Pro' to Come With 6GB of RAM

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Wake me up when non volatile storage is as fast as RAM, SSD's already make a difference, VM was slow on mechanical HDD, it got much better on SSD's, now I wish we wouldn't need RAM at all if Storage was indeed as fast as RAM.

2GB RAM on 6s/7/8 is still more than enough for most iPhone users these days.
You can easily see how an iPhone gets slowed down by limited RAM, Updates are much faster if there's sufficient RAM, close all your Apps, next restart and Update let's say 20 Apps, compare that to lots of open Apps and Updating, it is considerably slower.

ian87w

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Make sense. With the non Pro models also getting OLED and cheaper starting price, there's a need for further differentiation for the Pro models.

Äpfelchen

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
Wake me up when non volatile storage is as fast as RAM, SSD's already make a difference, VM was slow on mechanical HDD, it got much better on SSD's, now I wish we wouldn't need RAM at all if Storage was indeed as fast as RAM.
There’s more to memory architecture than just speed.

For example, the iOS kernel has no swap pager on purpose, because paging out memory would wear out the NAND much quicker than users would tolerate.
That’s one reason why RAM ain’t going away anytime soon.

AvisDeene

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
6 gigs of RAM may finally make me upgrade from my iPhone 6S Plus. I’m content with everything else that my phone has, but it shows it’s age when I use two or three apps that are connected with the internet. Tired of switching between them and having some information lost.

• Love
Reactions: DrwMDvs

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
Well, at least the Pro’s will be future-proofed a little. That’s one way it’s worth it to go with the pro models.

Reactions: mi7chy

tridley68

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2014
Looks good Apple I'll need two Apple pro max 512GB for my yearly upgrade in September

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

For example, the iOS kernel has no swap pager on purpose, because paging out memory would wear out the NAND much quicker than users would tolerate.
Thanks for pointing that out, I should note that we might have nonvolatile storage years from now that is as fast as RAM and does not wear out.
Todays SSD's also have different architectures, one wears out much faster than the other one, SLC>MLC>TLC>QLC
> = Better than the next one.

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
The quantity of RAM is often the reason an enthusiast chooses one iPhone over another, yet apple still refuses to even mention it in their product announcements to this day. They'll go on and on about animoji and a stupid AR ruler which nobody cares about — but refuse to even mention how much ram the phone has... As if it doesn't matter ... When we all know it certainly does because insufficient ram is the main reason an old iPhone chokes on future versions of iOS.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014

Good point about benefit of more DRAM vs NAND storage wear but isn't app state suspension stored to NAND?

Creator74

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Happy with my iPhone 11 Pro Max for now and not planing to upgrade until the new design ( if there is any lol ) ,shame on them keep releasing similar design

Reactions: w1z

jaack

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2016
Happy with my iPhone 11 Pro Max for now and not planing to upgrade until the new design ( if there is any lol ) ,shame on them keep releasing similar design
It literally is a new design this year... what were you expecting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.