Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Not willing to pay more to verizon for 5 g is it still worth it to go from 11 pro to 12 pro given that they will probably do at least 400 trade in on 11 pro .

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Makes you wonder why the 11 Pro has the same amount of RAM as the 11.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Yes, quite easily. Cussing, calling people entitled for wanting certain features before upgrading their phones etc. But no worries, it’ll be alright ?
That doesn’t sound like hurt feelings to me. Sounds like he was annoyed, as he posted ?‍♂️
[automerge]1594429654[/automerge]
Makes you wonder why the 11 Pro has the same amount of RAM as the 11.
No LiDAR makes sense to me.
[automerge]1594429803[/automerge]
Camera bumps looking ridiculous.
imo Apple’s unlikely to sacrifice camera quality or make the iPhone thicker—for hundreds of millions of customers every year—just to eliminate the camera bump for those few who don’t use a case. I might be wrong?

Apples obviously oh with the camera bump; if it becomes a deal breaker for you you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zdigital2015

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Yeah, it's not. Unless you want all your apps closed after launching camera.app.

This is interesting, I am not against more RAM, but why is the 2GB not enough?
The iphones of yesterday do the same as the iphones of today, Twitter, Safari, Instagram, App Store, 3D games, YouTube...and people called them fast and snappy for the time, so what changed?

Another ironic point, I believe I bought a 2008 Macbook that shipped with 2GB RAM. That thing was supposed to run stuff like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop together no issue...how come the same 2GB RAM is not enough for smartphone apps today?

aeronatis

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
This is interesting, I am not against more RAM, but why is the 2GB not enough?
The iphones of yesterday do the same as the iphones of today, Twitter, Safari, Instagram, App Store, 3D games, YouTube...and people called them fast and snappy for the time, so what changed?

Another ironic point, I believe I bought a 2008 Macbook that shipped with 2GB RAM. That thing was supposed to run stuff like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop together no issue...how come the same 2GB RAM is not enough for smartphone apps today?

That totally depends on different use cases.

iOS used to be more closed OS with no extensions, no pro level apps, no customisation at all. Now, for a photo editing app to have extension on the Photos app, they need to utilise more than 1 GB of RAM which Apple does not allow as total RAM of the device is 2 GB almost half of which is already filled by the OS.

When I edit a quick video on LumaFusion or light to medium photo editing on Pixelmator or even on Photos (I have iPhone X, so 3 GB RAM), the app on the background restarts and it hurt really bad if there is an ongoing work on that app. Everything is ruined ?

Which is why I think regular iPhone and iPhone Pro should be separated on the amount of RAM rather than extra camera or screen specs. Those who use mostly one app at a time would get the non-pro version with still getting high camera/screen specs and those who would like to use the phone for creativity and anything requiring extensive multitasking would get the pro version paying some more.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
6GB of ram certainly helps on the iPad but wouldn’t ‘say it’s a huge difference as apps still refresh on 6GB. Safari tabs seem to stay open though for the most part.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Android needs the extra ram to run smoothly because of the way the OS is built/written. This isn't a case of "more ram = more better" It's down to how the OS is built and optimised for the hardware they run on.
Well yes but android also needs more ram as the multitasking on android devices is so much better so more tasks that are done will use and need more ram.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
2GB RAM on 6s/7/8 is still more than enough for most iPhone users these days.
Since an iPhone cant multitask either way I’d argue it’s probably enough. My iPhone XS Max wont retain many apps in the background after launching camera apps either way and that one has 4GB of RAM.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Android needs the extra ram to run smoothly because of the way the OS is built/written. This isn't a case of "more ram = more better" It's down to how the OS is built and optimised for the hardware they run on.
Android is a Linux based OS. It handles memory just fine.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
That totally depends on different use cases.

iOS used to be more closed OS with no extensions, no pro level apps, no customisation at all. Now, for a photo editing app to have extension on the Photos app, they need to utilise more than 1 GB of RAM which Apple does not allow as total RAM of the device is 2 GB almost half of which is already filled by the OS.

When I edit a quick video on LumaFusion or light to medium photo editing on Pixelmator or even on Photos (I have iPhone X, so 3 GB RAM), the app on the background restarts and it hurt really bad if there is an ongoing work on that app. Everything is ruined ?

Which is why I think regular iPhone and iPhone Pro should be separated on the amount of RAM rather than extra camera or screen specs. Those who use mostly one app at a time would get the non-pro version with still getting high camera/screen specs and those who would like to use the phone for creativity and anything requiring extensive multitasking would get the pro version paying some more.

I am sorry, while it is possible, iphones are not the right tools to do pro work. Why can't they use local storage as RAM to save current state, isn't this what happens on computer when RAM runs out?

aeronatis

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
I am sorry, while it is possible, iphones are not the right tools to do pro work.

As long as they keep the RAM low, they sure aren't, which is a current fact that should change. At least, we should have the option.

Why can't they use local storage as RAM to save current state, isn't this what happens on computer when RAM runs out?

Paging on computers is allowed so that the computer wouldn't crash when RAM is full. If we are talking about keeping many apps on the background to return later, yes paging should work; however, for the use cases when a single app needs more than 2 GB, paging would not do much good.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
While that may be true, I suspect the former is true. Android devices tend to have more ram because android is just that badly written and you need to throw more specs at it to make it run smoothly.

Conversely, Apple makes the software and hardware, so it's worthwhile for them to spend more time optimising the software so they can get away with including less specs in their devices (which in turn translates to lower costs when you don't have to include as much ram, or can afford to use a smaller battery). Especially given the scale that they operate at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.