Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may ship some of its upcoming "iPhone 12" models with a 20-watt PD USB-C adapter, based on photos shared by leaker Mr White on Twitter.

20-watt-power-adapter-iphone-12-mr-white-e1592995737788.jpeg

In Apple's current crop of phones, the iPhone 11 Pro models come with an 18-watt USB-C fast charger, while the iPhone 11 comes with a 5-watt adapter, which is the same wattage as the charger that came with the original iPhone back in 2007. The 18-watt adapter is the first fast-charger that Apple included in an iPhone box.

Rumors have suggested Apple will complete its transition to an all-OLED lineup for this year's "iPhone 12," with one new 5.4-inch device, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch handset.

Rumors suggest the 6.7-inch ‌‌iPhone‌‌ and one 6.1-inch model will be higher-end OLED devices with triple-lens cameras. Going on last year's phones, these may be the ones coming with a 18-watt adapter.

On the other hand, Apple may choose to bring the faster charging adapter to its entire "iPhone 12" lineup, but we probably won't know for sure until it drops in the fall.

Article Link: Leaker: 'iPhone 12' to Ship With 20-Watt Power Adapter

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'd wager, USB-C.

Wouldn't this powerful of an adapter be able to power a MacBook Pro too? Maybe they are moving towards a universal power adapter? I'm not a power expert, but having one adapter to bring them, and charge them, would be nice.

EDIT: The standard USB-C MBP power brick can be used with everything, with the proper cable. I forgot that. And using this adapter to charge a MBP would be punishingly slow. My comment didn't take that into account. I mean, you *could*, but why in the heck would you want to take 5 to 6 times longer to charge.

Last edited:

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
So it'll still have a port and won't go full wireless. So then is it lightning or USB-C?
Unless this 20W charger is for something else... I still believe that it will be portless and wireless to avoid EU lawsuits over lightning. Is this a charger for a wireless pad???

Reactions: 4491275

Philip_S

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2020
I'd wager, USB-C.

Wouldn't this powerful of an adapter be able to power a MacBook Pro too? Maybe they are moving towards a universal power adapter? I'm not a power expert, but having one adapter to bring them, and charge them, would be nice.
No, the MBP is 80W nominal, and even if ArmBooks are more efficient I doubt they'll want to slow charging sped that much.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2019
I'd wager, USB-C.

I've been doing it for years - it's the MBP USB-C brick - just need the USBC-Lightning cable. Incredibly useful when traveling - one brick and two cables to charge pretty much everything (iPad, iPhone, MBP, AirPods).

Unfortunately I still need a third cable if I also want to charge my Kindle or Bose headphones.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Slightly left field, but it would be nice if Apple looked into expanding the wireless power of the iPhones from their current 7.5W especially if they're - supposedly - still working on AirPower

Reactions: compwiz1202

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
2020 iPhone is gonna be lightning, everything points to Apple going full wireless in the future without making a short stop to USB-C.

If true I am gonna miss being able to sync and copying photos/videos off my iphone to my computer. Sync can be done wireless but is slow and annoying and i dont think you can manually copy photos/videos to a computer.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Slightly left field, but it would be nice if Apple looked into expanding the wireless power of the iPhones from their current 7.5W especially if they're - supposedly - still working on AirPower
Good point! But Android better watch out. Apple may be catching up to you in the charging department.

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
If the 18/20w charger is included on all iPhone 12s, then where’s the pro features at? The models are getting blurred further with each new rumor.

Reactions: compwiz1202

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I've never understood why Apple provide small charger for big iPhone. This baffled me. I know it's all about margin / profit, etc.

I think Apple should provide the same watt as iPad for big iPhone. That's what I've been doing that ever since and it is noticeable different.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
While it would be nice to have a larger watt charger, and I'd probably be buying Anker plugs, but that thing is huge and not travel friendly

Reactions: DotCom2

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
I've never understood why Apple provide small charger for big iPhone. This baffled me. I know it's all about margin / profit, etc.

I think Apple should provide the same watt as iPad for big iPhone. That's what I've been doing that ever since and it is noticeable different.

Because these rediculous 40w+ chargers popular with android heavily degrade batteries and fast. Apple also uses much smaller batteries due to efficiency.

IIRC Oppo had a 75w charger or something like that and came out saying it would degrade the battery 30% within a year of use.

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
If the 18/20w charger is included on all iPhone 12s, then where’s the pro features at? The models are getting blurred further with each new rumor.

I don't think a charger is a feature. You can buy hundreds of chargers after you buy an iPhone. They could include a 20w charger and still allow the pro models to charge faster than non-pro.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.