Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Keep in mind, Apple is well known for using unofficial “leaks” to set and control consumer expectations leading up to a product launch.

This could be an intentional false leak so that when prices go up a little bit (but not to $2000) we all say “Wow! This is great! They’re less than expected!” instead of getting angry about the price going up.

That’s what I would do in their shoes.

Reactions: Quackers

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
i wish i can buy a M1 Air or Pro now to replace my 2018 macbook pro with the sucky keyboard. but i need a big screen laptop, 13" just don't cut it, and i'm not buying the Intel MBP even if it's discounting 50%.

Suicidy

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
Wth Apple?? I’m done with this rip off company.. price hike for what? Using their own chips and removing the Touch Bar and still jacking up the price??
So you’re walking away based on an unsubstantiated rumor? Before any actual pricing information is available?

maybe you should wait and see.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013

The upcoming 14-inch MacBook Pro is set to be more expensive than the current 13-inch MacBook Pro and both the 14 and 16-inch models will offer the same performance, according to the leaker known as "Dylandkt."

M1X-MBP-Feature.jpg

The leaker shared the information on Twitter, explaining that both of the upcoming MacBook Pro models, expected to come in 14 and 16-inch sizes, will feature the same performance due to having the same "M1X" chip.

Currently, the 16-inch MacBook Pro offers a significant performance improvement over the high-end 13-inch models due to its more powerful Intel chips and better thermals, so bringing the two model sizes to parity could be a major boost for owners of the smaller, more portable model.

In addition, the 14-inch MacBook Pro will apparently be more expensive than the current 13-inch MacBook Pro. Dylandkt clarified to MacRumors that this relates to the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro model with the M1 chip, which starts at $1,299.

Dylandkt also told MacRumors that the 14-inch MacBook Pro will be priced around the current high-end 13-inch model, which it is expected to replace in the lineup, but will be priced much more closely to the 16-inch model due to their similar feature sets and performance.

The current high-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, which still features Intel chips, starts at $1,799. A base configuration with 1TB of storage is also available for $1,999. The current 16-inch MacBook Pro, which is not expected to see a price rise, starts from $2,399. This means that the 14-inch MacBook Pro could be priced in the region of $2,000.

Dylandkt has correctly predicted details about a number of Apple's product launches. As early as November 2020, Dylandkt claimed that the next-generation iPad Pro would feature an ‌M1‌ chip. This was five months before the device emerged. Before the launch of the 24-inch ‌iMac‌ earlier this year, Dylandkt correctly predicted that the new, redesigned ‌iMac‌ would replace the smaller entry-level ‌iMac‌ only and feature an ‌M1‌ chip rather than an M1X.

The new MacBook Pro models are expected to debut around October, offering new designs, brighter panels with higher contrast, an improved webcam, function keys with no Touch Bar, more ports, and a MagSafe connector for charging. For more on what to expect, be sure to check out our dedicated MacBook Pro rumor guide.

Article Link: Leaker: Upcoming MacBook Pro to See Price Hike Over Current Model, Equal Performance Across 14 and 16-Inch Sizes
Last time I checked, which was like an hour ago, price inflation is happening in every sector due to supply constraints, increased shipping and other logistical costs, and unpredictability. Welcome to capitalism where any private corporation legally exists for exactly one purpose: realize gain for its investors (within other legal limits). My understanding is that Apple has (mostly) NOT been passing their own higher internal costs of production onto customers for most of the past year. It should not come as a surprise to anyone whose been paying even modest attention to economic forces that Apple, like nearly every company selling just about anything has been raising prices lately. Go to Costco and compare prices on nearly everything to what they were 6 months ago. Yup, higher, sometimes a little, sometimes quite a bit. Hopefully, its a temporary glitch while we work through hiccups of the pandemic and navigate supply chain and shipping bottlenecks.

I plan to wait for 6 months or so to see if the prices come down, if not from Apple then at Amazon or Best Buy, once the feeding frenzy of people who've been waiting for this model are done buying--hopefully by then, some of the supply constraints will have been worked out as well and any bugs in the new models have been identified and resolved.

VArase

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Chicagoland
My old macbook died 3 months ago. I'm holding out for the new macbook so I bought a mini to hold me over. I got the bare minimum because I was told it would be enough. I was used to 64 GB of RAM and over a terrabyte in storage, but I went for it anyway. Surprisingly the 8GB ram is not so bad. I only run out of space when I have about 75 Chrome tabs open and that's with Photoshop and other apps running too. So something about this chip makes it so you don't need as much RAM. They should make 16GB the bare minimum, but 8MB is fine for simple home users. Hard drive space is a different story. Thank god I use icloud. I run out of space 2 or 3 times a week and have to clear out my core files probably because of all the crashes that happen when I try to shut down and my RAM is working on overdrive. So if 256 completely fills up twice a week with almost all my files going to icloud for storage, 512 GB isn't near enough.
I keep hearing this over and over - and while the virtual memory implementation is stellar, about the only place where there is less memory use is in the graphics pipeline.

Everywhere else is the same except for algorithmic changes due to IP blocks and the like - they have to be the same because pretty much no one rewrote their code for Apple Silicon - for the most part they simply recompiled for AArch64.

That means if you needed 32 GB on Intel, you should probably get 32 GB on M1x. The size of the files you're loading into memory didn't get any smaller and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.