Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming 14-inch MacBook Pro is set to be more expensive than the current 13-inch MacBook Pro and both the 14 and 16-inch models will offer the same performance, according to the leaker known as "Dylandkt."

M1X-MBP-Feature.jpg

The leaker shared the information on Twitter, explaining that both of the upcoming MacBook Pro models, expected to come in 14 and 16-inch sizes, will feature the same performance due to having the same "M1X" chip.

Currently, the 16-inch MacBook Pro offers a significant performance improvement over the high-end 13-inch models due to its more powerful Intel chips and better thermals, so bringing the two model sizes to parity could be a major boost for owners of the smaller, more portable model.

In addition, the 14-inch MacBook Pro will apparently be more expensive than the current 13-inch MacBook Pro. Dylandkt clarified to MacRumors that this relates to the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro model with the M1 chip, which starts at $1,299.

Dylandkt also told MacRumors that the 14-inch MacBook Pro will be priced around the current high-end 13-inch model, which it is expected to replace in the lineup, but will be priced much more closely to the 16-inch model due to their similar feature sets and performance.

The current high-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, which still features Intel chips, starts at $1,799. A base configuration with 1TB of storage is also available for $1,999. The current 16-inch MacBook Pro, which is not expected to see a price rise, starts from $2,399. This means that the 14-inch MacBook Pro could be priced in the region of $2,000.

Dylandkt has correctly predicted details about a number of Apple's product launches. As early as November 2020, Dylandkt claimed that the next-generation iPad Pro would feature an ‌M1‌ chip. This was five months before the device emerged. Before the launch of the 24-inch ‌iMac‌ earlier this year, Dylandkt correctly predicted that the new, redesigned ‌iMac‌ would replace the smaller entry-level ‌iMac‌ only and feature an ‌M1‌ chip rather than an M1X.

The new MacBook Pro models are expected to debut around October, offering new designs, brighter panels with higher contrast, an improved webcam, function keys with no Touch Bar, more ports, and a MagSafe connector for charging. For more on what to expect, be sure to check out our dedicated MacBook Pro rumor guide.

Article Link: Leaker: Upcoming MacBook Pro to See Price Hike Over Current Model, Equal Performance Across 14 and 16-Inch Sizes

Last edited:

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
My wallet, bank accounts, and I all had a conference over zoom and we decided to skip this one since we love our M1 MBA and Mini.

We would have had the conference over sharetime or whatever that's called but it's not ready yet.

To those who upgrade, enjoy!

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Makes sense that they’d have the same performance since Apple’s silicon is much more efficient (less space required for cooling/fans). Also, no surprise these would be more expensive than the M1 Pro…that was obvious to everyone. I hope all the rumors of the extra ports are true as well. The one rumor I haven’t heard that would be amazing on the new Pro models would be FaceID. It’s so nice on the iPad Pro when using the Magic Keyboard.

My wallet, bank accounts, and I all had a conference over zoom and we decided to skip this one since we love our M1 MBA and Mini.

We would have had the conference over sharetime or whatever that's called but it's not ready yet.

To those who upgrade, enjoy!
Yeah, I really love my M1 Air. I use way more than I did my 2017 MacBook Pro. I hope Apple offers a darker space grey or black on the new Pros. I put a black skin on my Air and love that look. 370C5088-DB5A-4438-AE5E-231F6EABB9AC.jpeg A55C9E61-2C7D-4112-81C5-D3619D72D6EF.jpeg

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I am so annoyed with Tim Cook always keeping „last years model“ to justify price increases on updated versions. Steve Jobs didn’t do it. He wanted his users to actually experience to best they can offer and didn’t settle with „last years models“. However, from a business perspective it’s smart of course but jeeze, I don’t even want to think of the Euro prices.

K-pax

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2021
I am so annoyed with Tim Cook always keeping „last years model“ to justify price increases on updated versions. Steve Jobs didn’t do it. He wanted his users to actually experience to best they can offer and didn’t settle with „last years models“. However, from a business perspective it’s smart of course but jeeze, I don’t even want to think of the Euro prices.
Cries in Canadian prices☹️☹️

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Lots of R&D behind those machines, so I can see that. And to be fair, they barely have raised prices in the mobiles since the PowerBook G4.

Same power across the line sounds perfect too, especially if there are more ports/features in the larger models. Very reminiscent of the PowerBook days.
If they are holding on to the 13" as the more 'prosumer' model it will be like the 12" PowerBook, 14" and 16" are the larger ones just like back then. Prices gaps might not be the same as with the PowerBooks, although screens on the larger ones will be smaller than they used to be.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I mean this is just obvious stuff.
The higher end MacBook Pro replacing the older higher end MacBook Pro will be priced around the same as the old hire end MacBook Pro? Who woulda thunk that.
$1999 is my guess.
Then the new 13 inch MacBook Air next year that comes in multiple colors with the M2 will take The place of the current low end 13 inch MacBook Pro, since that product is basically pointless at this point.
So…
$999: MacBook Air M1
$1199-1299: M2 re-designed MacBook Air with multiple colors
$1999: 14 inch MacBook Pro
$2399: 16 inch MacBook Pro

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
If the new 14” is going to start at $2k might as well opt for the 16” for $400 more.
Uh… did you read the article?
The 14 inch and the 16 inch will have the exact same specifications, which has never been done by Apple in the past.
Some people can’t justify lugging around an almost 5 pound 16 inch machine.
This 14 sounds perfect for most people, and for those who only need a bigger screen the 16 inch is around.
But other than screen size you won’t be getting any benefits. So yes, you could buy the 14 inch without feeling like you’re missing out on any power

maxolson

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
Makes sense that they’d have the same performance since Apple’s silicon is much more efficient (less space required for cooling/fans). Also, no surprise these would be more expensive than the M1 Pro…that was obvious to everyone. I hope all the rumors of the extra ports are true as well. The one rumor I haven’t heard that would be amazing on the new Pro models would be FaceID. It’s so nice on the iPad Pro when using the Magic Keyboard.

Yeah, I really love my M1 Air. I use way more than I did my 2017 MacBook Pro. I hope Apple offers a darker space grey or black on the new Pros. I put a black skin on my Air and love that look. View attachment 1822667 View attachment 1822668
I don't think FaceID is coming to their laptops any time soon. I don't think they can't fit the tech inside that thin a housing (the lid). It's why their laptop webcams suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.