Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Leather Cases for iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Coming on November 6

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Usually I love the Apple leather cases but I already purchased a navy blue Silicone case for my soon to be 12 Pro... I will also more than likely buy a clear Spigen case as well like what’s currently on my 11.

I saw that the leather cases leave marks on them when used with the MagSafe charger so it made me feel that they were lesser quality than before? They’ve held up well for me in the past but then again I’ve only used the black ones so 🤷🏻‍♂️

mfrank29

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Just to verify,

Will there be a 12 pro MAX leather case or just the smaller phones? Is the pre-order date for leather cases Nov. 6th?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
Just to verify,

Will there be a 12 pro MAX leather case or just the smaller phones? Is the pre-order date for leather cases Nov. 6th?
Both. Yes all on Fri.06.Nov – which is going to make it fun trying to order, for those wanting Max iPhone, Max case, and HomePod Mini before they all sell-out for two months in the first five minutes, lol!

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

mfrank29

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Both. Yes all on Fri.06.Nov – which is going to make it fun trying to order, for those wanting Max iPhone, Max case, and HomePod Mini before they all sell-out for two months in the first five minutes, lol!
Yeah and pre-orders on the east coast are 8am....would prefer 1 or 3 am so I could just stay up and order rather than rushing to my desk in the morning after dropping off the kids.

Reactions: jimthing

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Am I the only one dismayed by lack of folio case? The sleeve case is an odditiy. I don't want to slide the phone in and out to use.
Not the only one. And it sounds crazy but I am questioning if I want to upgrade to the 12 pro max for this very reason. I really really really like my folio case, have had one for over two years, so easy to just grab my phone and go without worrying about where my wallet is. and a separate wallet (pain to carry) means I can't use my watch to find it if I misplace it (like I can my phone).

All of which means, yeah, I am glad this forum lists some leather folio alternatives (toro?) because I dont think I can upgrade my phone without one. crazy huh.

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks for this article; it answered something I was wondering about. I was thinking of getting a new top-end iPhone to replace my X, which would otherwise need a battery replacement about now. With the iPhone X, I'd gotten an Apple wallet type leather case rather than the Otterbox I'd had with previous ones. It was enough to protect from the very few drops on hard surfaces (if with some scuffing of a corner of the retaining plastic of the case) and better looking/less clunky; and something that closes over the screen protects it in a pocket without trapping abrasive dirt as a non-stick-on screen cover tends to.

So I was looking for a wallet case for the upcoming 12 Pro Max, and bothered that there wasn't an Apple one. I had the experience that Apple's was good looking, and precisely designed to provide just enough protection; but I didn't have that confidence in the early-appearing wallet cases from brands I'd never heard of before. With those coming out in time to hopefully have case and phone at the same time, I'm a lot happier that my new phone will be well protected from the first, without making me postpone switching to wait for a suitable case.

the apple leather case (mentioned in the article and pictured) is NOT the same as the Apple Leather Folio case (the wallet you reference here and want). I can't find any source that says the Folio case is being released for the 12 pro max. They seem to be pushing their leather wallet mag safe attachment instead. Which bums me out but I suppose we will find out more Nov 6. But I wouldn't bet on the folio case, people like us that loved them might be forced to look at third party alternatives.

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
Women will. And sort of is convenient if you have Apple Card and not inteding to carry wallet.

I tried a sleeve when I got my last phone but didn’t find it convenient at all. For any interaction you have to take the phone out which got cumbersome really fast.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
I tried a sleeve when I got my last phone but didn’t find it convenient at all. For any interaction you have to take the phone out which got cumbersome really fast.
Yes, but for some folks that's irrelevant if it's sufficiently fashionable... :p

Reactions: ericwn

HouseofG

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Not the only one. And it sounds crazy but I am questioning if I want to upgrade to the 12 pro max for this very reason. I really really really like my folio case, have had one for over two years, so easy to just grab my phone and go without worrying about where my wallet is. and a separate wallet (pain to carry) means I can't use my watch to find it if I misplace it (like I can my phone).

All of which means, yeah, I am glad this forum lists some leather folio alternatives (toro?) because I dont think I can upgrade my phone without one. crazy huh.
Yeah, Toro seems like a good choice and there's these Burkley cases as well, which are tempting to me. I would NOT want a folio case on my phone at all times (like whenever I'm home), so this removable concept is appealing.

Reactions: deeddawg

Truckondo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Are these going up for pre order on the 6th? I have a hard time believing these will make it out on time. The least they could do is put them on the Apple site since we are less than a week out.

s66

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2016
Apple what’s going on with your supply chain?!! This is not exclusive to this year and pandemic! They always announce products only to have them released weeks, months later! It’s LAME and I’m annoyed by it!!
It's an announcement of a product that will become available, not one of an immediate availability. If you watch those actual announcements, you'd have seen when what product is to be expected.

From the last years I know of only one product that Apple announced and then did not deliver on in the end: airpower. That's it. The rest has always been delivered on, and mostly even a tiny bit earlier than promised.

s66

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2016
2. Yes you can definitely still use an old USB-A to lightning cable, including with the old 5W brick. The only downside is that it will charge slower, but that's not an issue if you mostly charge overnight.
The slower charge for overnight use is actually better for the battery AFAIK than the faster charge.

Reactions: deeddawg

s66

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2016
To my mind any case that doesn't cover the screen is pretty useless. I've never understood why you'd bother.
The Apple cases (and those they approve of) do protect the front as well as they protrude a very tiny amount and in doing so protect the glass when dropped on a flat surface.
Over the years I've always used one of those apple designed cases and they've had a 100% success rate in protecting my phones. No scratches, no broken glass. And yes I've kept my phone in my jeans pocket with keys, I've dropped it far more often than I care to count etc. I'm not easy on my phone: it's a tool. Proof is that I've worn out a few of these leather cases.
But the bottom line is simple: These cases DO protect your phone, are handy in use and when they wear out, they are easy to replace.
For the record: I never used any "screen protector" at all. I don't think sticking a sheet of plastic onto the hardened glass is actually any improvement at all. My iPhones have ALL lasted many years of abuse in my pocket without one and never showed more than fingerprints on the glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: HouseofG

s66

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2016
2. I'm still a little confused about cable situation... I do think Apple made a bad decision. If one wants to, can one charge iPhone 12 with existing brick and a USB-A to lightning cable? What's the downside? (As an aside, if companies like Anker or RAVPower made chargers with 4-6 USB-C ports, then I would enthusiastically be all-in).

Your phone needs a lighting connector to charge from. Any cable and charge combo ever made by Apple will work perfectly.

Apple included a USB-C to lighting cable as people typically have few of those.

USB-A to lighting cables are plenty in most homes that have Apple devices (they came with iPhones, with the Apple TV (the remote), with many of the desktop macs since the current bluetooth keyboards and mice, etc. But the world has been changing rapidly from USB-A to USB-C (and even more so in an Apple world compared to rest) and as such making sure people can also charge from a USB-C computer port and/or charger is a smart thing to do and certainly NOT a "bad decision".

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Vicar of Dibley-land, UK
The Apple cases (and those they approve of) do protect the front as well as they protrude a very tiny amount and in doing so protect the glass when dropped on a flat surface.
Over the years I've always used one of those apple designed cases and they've had a 100% success rate in protecting my phones. No scratches, no broken glass. And yes I've kept my phone in my jeans pocket with keys, I've dropped it far more often than I care to count etc. I'm not easy on my phone: it's a tool. Proof is that I've worn out a few of these leather cases.
But the bottom line is simple: These cases DO protect your phone, are handy in use and when they wear out, they are easy to replace.
For the record: I never used any "screen protector" at all. I don't think sticking a sheet of plastic onto the hardened glass is actually any improvement at all. My iPhones have ALL lasted many years of abuse in my pocket without one and never showed more than fingerprints on the glass.
Fair point, well made :)

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Fair point, well made :)

One point of clarification - many cases possess a "lip" extending above the screen, this is not exclusive to Apple cases or third party cases sold by Apple.

Also worth noting that such a lip isn't a guarantee of protection - small stones / gravel can still contact the screen if the phone is dropped. I've had to replace a couple tempered glass screen protectors due to this occurring. :)

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Anyone know what colors these will be? Brown and black but anything blue like in the past?

whirldy

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Within
These still coming out on Friday?
The silicone cases for the Mini and Pro Max are on the Apple site as "Coming soon!"
No sign of the leather cases yet.

Two images (not mine) of saddle brown...

Attachments

• 6a62e77a-384e-4c4e-aec4-3ec11707feec-jpeg.1069320.jpg
    6a62e77a-384e-4c4e-aec4-3ec11707feec-jpeg.1069320.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 7264c411-41cd-42fc-b96b-614d64c424a6-jpeg.1069272.jpg
    7264c411-41cd-42fc-b96b-614d64c424a6-jpeg.1069272.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 17

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
These still coming out on Friday?
The silicone cases for the Mini and Pro Max are on the Apple site as "Coming soon!"
No sign of the leather cases yet.

Two images (not mine) of saddle brown...

Rumours are yes and be available for 13th i imagine

• Disagree
Reactions: whirldy

Dtsd

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
Not sure this is the right thread at this point, but I’m currently typing this from my phone wearing the new iPhone 12 leather case.

Picked this one up from Apple this evening and the case looks good, feels good, fits well, pretty much what you expect if you’ve used previous Apple leather cases...but they changed the case design, so the bottom is completely closed.

Coming from iPhone X with an Apple leather case with the bottom cut out and this one is much less pleasant to use with the constant swipe up.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
It’s a good way to reduce user’s attention away from the poisonous filth of social media. Seen too many employees who spend half of their working hours and personal time on that narcissistic and divisive crap.

You can check your texts and make phone calls on a paired Watch.

I’d rather have this people exercise their self control though. Better time spent than waiting for a case to solve a behavioural problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.