Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Leather Cases for iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Coming on November 6

ArPe

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2020
Leather sleeve has me a bit confused - why I'd ever use something like this?

It’s a good way to reduce user’s attention away from the poisonous filth of social media. Seen too many employees who spend half of their working hours and personal time on that narcissistic and divisive crap.

You can check your texts and make phone calls on a paired Watch. 👍

polyphenol

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
It’s a good way to reduce user’s attention away from the poisonous filth of social media. Seen too many employees who spend half of their working hours and personal time on that narcissistic and divisive crap.

Together with using AirPods...

Reactions: ArPe

Tarantularock

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016

Yes, I understand your point... I have adopted this same philosophy - however, I just leave my phone in my bag pocket, this extra bobble is still not for me and seems unnecessary and inconvenient.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
Pandemic has really caused Apple to step their delivery dates. Curious though why the iPad Airs still have no firm date, seems sloppy.

I think some of it may be Apple is staggering their Air Freight Short Term contracts to obtain better rates letting more carriers bid on shipment. I noticed a lot of non standard routing out of China when the AW Series 6 launched, and I would expect it to be the same here.

Just speculation on my part however.

UPS is around 53% higher per kilogram right now as opposed to Oct 2019.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Man, I looked at these and got excited about the alternative, but they don't say Magsafe compatible. Hmmm...
I've just had my Torro Dark Brown Leather Wallet Case for the 12 Pro delivered today and it's lovely quality. As good if not better than the leather Torro case I've had on my XR for the last 2 years (which is still in great shape).

The Torro cases are Qi compatible so if you charge wirelessly already you can continue to do so with no issues. As they don't say Magsafe compatible the case may be slightly too thick to get a reliable connection with the magnets but as BasicGreatGuy says you'd be best contacting support to check.

Last edited:
Reactions: HouseofG

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Lol. Dbag. Read up on cattle farming and environmental impact.

@Billyk711's underlying point (presumably) was to discern whether you truly thought leather usage was the determining factor in the quantity of cattle farming, and whether you thought a reduction in leather usage would reduce that quantity of cattle farming.

... because the reality appears to be the opposite - it's the demand for beef that drives the volume of cattle farming. Cow hides are a byproduct and represent a fraction of the value of cattle. Plus there's already a glut of cow hides due to reduced demand for leather. Thus, further reducing leather demand won't affect the quantity of cattle farming.

So the question then becomes... do we make use of an existing byproduct which would otherwise go to waste, or do we replace that renewable resource with non-renewable petroleum based substitutes?

See https://fortune.com/2019/08/09/cowh...-buy-less-leather-jackets-more-vegan-fashion/

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Really can’t figure out why the leather cases were not released tomorrow. So, we who choose leather, just have to go caseless until they get released. Never seen that happen before at Apple.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Really can’t figure out why the leather cases were not released tomorrow. So, we who choose leather, just have to go caseless until they get released. Never seen that happen before at Apple.

Or wait on doing an upgrade until the leather cases are available. That's what I'm doing. In fairness I also want to see the new magnetic charging car mount from Belkin and any others who do similar.

Though with each passing day my eagerness to upgrade my works-just-fine-XS lessens...

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I bought an ESR iPhone 12 transparent case for 8$ until the Apple leather cases are released.

At least they're making one this time, they never did for the XR. I had a Mujjo for that phone, and very happy with it but no Magsafe.

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
@Billyk711's underlying point (presumably) was to discern whether you truly thought leather usage was the determining factor in the quantity of cattle farming, and whether you thought a reduction in leather usage would reduce that quantity of cattle farming.

... because the reality appears to be the opposite - it's the demand for beef that drives the volume of cattle farming. Cow hides are a byproduct and represent a fraction of the value of cattle. Plus there's already a glut of cow hides due to reduced demand for leather. Thus, further reducing leather demand won't affect the quantity of cattle farming.

So the question then becomes... do we make use of an existing byproduct which would otherwise go to waste, or do we replace that renewable resource with non-renewable petroleum based substitutes?

See https://fortune.com/2019/08/09/cowh...-buy-less-leather-jackets-more-vegan-fashion/

It’s not as simple as just that, because if that leather isn’t veg tanned, it’s generating plenty of toxic effluents as part of the chrome tanning and dyeing process.

• Disagree

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
It’s not as simple as just that, because if that leather isn’t veg tanned, it’s generating plenty of toxic effluents as part of the chrome tanning and dyeing process.

... and petroleum acquisition & processing has its own slew of ecological impacts which are mitigated to greater and lesser extents depending on locale.

Which is worse or better?

I don't think anyone here is going to truly know. Not without the sort of detailed knowledge of the specific processes and ecological impacts of the suppliers Apple uses that a true insider of the supply chain might possess. Who would also likely be under NDA.

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Who cares about that. Take your eco discussions somewhere else, as we just want our leather case.

Please the other cases with plastic and crap are just as bad or worse, so moot point!

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Apparently, the people who are discussing it. You don't like it, don't read it. Move along.

They can all move along and start some environmental wacko thread. You can move along too for a worthless post. This thread is about ordering a leather case.

• Disagree
Reactions: jimthing

error

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2006
I wonder how many iPhone 12 (Pro) devices will get damaged before Apple's leather case ships? I guess many people who want a leather case and already have the iPhone 12 (Pro) are using the device caseless while waiting for the leather option.

Like me. I briefly tried a silicone case from Apple… but the material feels horrible. I know from people who use these cases that after a few months they lose the soft coating and get sticky. The clear case is an absolute no i.m.h.o.

Thinking about buying some really cheap third party case to fill the gap between now and November 6.

• Disagree
Reactions: whirldy

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
Good luck with that one.

Anyway...

This potential ring issue sure doesn't look promising. Maybe I'm NOT waiting for one 🤨

I wonder how many iPhone 12 (Pro) devices will get damaged before Apple's leather case ships? I guess many people who want a leather case and already have the iPhone 12 (Pro) are using the device caseless while waiting for the leather option.

Like me. I briefly tried a silicone case from Apple… but the material feels horrible. I know from people who use these cases that after a few months they lose the soft coating and get sticky. The clear case is an absolute no i.m.h.o.

Thinking about buying some really cheap third party case to fill the gap between now and November 6.
We may be somewhat caught between a rock and a hard place here...

- Apple clear & silicone cases.
Clear has an annoying cut-out on bottom. Silicone doesn't, but the material is known to become sticky over time. These may not show the ring marks issue as much (unknown?).

- Apple plain leather cases (non-wallet/sleeve type).
Presuming they're like the silicone ones (no bottom cut-out), then they may have more ring mark issues instead.
Leather ones also wear, of course, but it's more a natural patina effect, rather than silicone stickiness.

I'd likely go for a plain leather if there is a colour I liked. But will have to see the pricing.

Last year's plain 11 Pro Max cases were priced (UK): £39 clear/silicone / £49 leather.
Given the MagSafe 12-series plain clear/silicone are £10 higher already at £49, I'm guessing the MagSafe plain leather will be the same amount higher at £59.

And to be honest while this is not ideal, is it really such an important issue to me: no — life's busy, I'll deal with it and move on to more important things to think about!

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
They can all move along and start some environmental wacko thread. You can move along too for a worthless post. This thread is about ordering a leather case.

Rather ironic that you've generated substantially more off-topic commentary than if you'd simply followed your own advice to move along.

We may be caught between a rock and a hard place here...

- Apple clear & silicone cases.
Clear has an annoying cut-out on bottom. Silicone doesn't, but the material is known to become sticky over time.

- Apple plain leather cases (non-wallet/sleeve type).
Presuming they're like the silicone ones (bottom cut-out wise), then we have this ring marks issue to deal with instead.
Leather ones also wear, of course, but it's more a natural patina effect, rather than silicone stickiness.

I'd likely go for a plain leather if there is a colour I liked. But will have to see the pricing.

Last year's plain 11 Pro Max cases were priced (UK): £39 clear/silicone / £49 leather.
Given the MagSafe 12-series plain clear/silicone are £10 higher already at £49, I'm guessing the MagSafe plain leather will be the same amount higher at £59.
I've had the Apple leather case in the past and was please with its durability. I chose black though so that may've been a factor too. I've not yet bought a 12Pro as I'm waiting to see my options for charging car mounts and what may be workable with a leather case... which may be good as I get to see some folks results before I've committed my own $$$....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.