Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutsjul

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
08BD8359-24A3-4CBD-8EA2-89D905E0B590.jpeg

Got my Ryan London saddle brown case today, it feels good. I also owned Marshal case from Andar, they both have the same layout and buttons, I think they are from the same manufacturer (waiting for bullstrap to be shipped out, I guess they are identical too)

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
View attachment 1993244
Got my Ryan London saddle brown case today, it feels good. I also owned Marshal case from Andar, they both have the same layout and buttons, I think they are from the same manufacturer (waiting for bullstrap to be shipped out, I guess they are identical too)
You hit the nail on the head, I have the Marshal from Andar and a really nice bourbon case from Bullstrap. They seem identical outside of the color. Both great leather cases.

Reactions: nutsjul

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
C6BB4AB4-2DF5-4233-BAFE-C1B25EC13D07.jpeg
EE93F234-47C7-42CA-A63B-CD95F8ED5865.jpeg
C22E5934-21A7-4D49-94DD-EDF20442B708.jpeg
After my iPhone 12s unfortunate demise I wound up replacing it with an brand new iPhone 11 that I got a great deal on. Turns out I really like the rounded edges way more than the square ones too which is a bonus.

Anyways I had a really hard time finding a good leather case for it. I don’t like the ones with rubber sides so nomad and bellroy were out. Bullstraps are beautiful but way too expensive and shipping to Canada is slow and expensive. Andar was out of stock as was Ryan Leather. Decoded had stock but I didn’t like the shade of brown they use. Had it before on a XR and didn’t like the patina.

Wound up stumbling by fluke on Geometric Goods. They had iPhone 11 cases on half price and they gave me free FedEx shipping too. It’s a small company from Poland and Roman was awesome to work with. Case arrived today and I really like it. Italian full gran veg tan leather. Covered buttons (which I like). Feels great and smells good too. Looking forward to seeing how it ages.

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
Replacement Enzo was delivered today and now I have a complete set of maracas. ?

Spigen, you be trippin with the price tag on this case. Both coming right back atcha.
I recently purchased the Enzo and just saw your posts about the buttons. That sucks! Should I just order a nomad for $30 on huckberry and send the Enzo back when I get it? I’m sorry but i can’t stomach rattling buttons ?

JerseyJon

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
View attachment 1993244
How long did the shipping take on this? Gorgeous case BTW

juhaszroli

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Guys, who has both Bullstrap and Nomad, which likes you more? I like the bullstrap, but the nomad leather is also so good but get easily scratch…

Numerati

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Orlando, FL
Guys, who has both Bullstrap and Nomad, which likes you more? I like the bullstrap, but the nomad leather is also so good but get easily scratch…

I do not have neither so take my comments with a grain of salt . Bullstrap is a leather case in the sense of Apple leather case. Whereas Nomad is a rubber case with a piece of leather slapped on to its back. Sides are rubber. Bullstrap does not cover the bottom of the phone. Which can be a dealbreaker for some people. Nomad scratches easily and look like beaten up leather in a few weeks whereas bullstrap ages in the traditional leather fashion.

Reactions: JBlass421

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I recently purchased the Enzo and just saw your posts about the buttons. That sucks! Should I just order a nomad for $30 on huckberry and send the Enzo back when I get it? I’m sorry but i can’t stomach rattling buttons ?

I’d be curious if the one you receive suffers from the same issue. That said, there’s nothing about that case that warrants the price. I likely would have returned it even if the buttons weren’t all loosey-goosey.

I do not have neither so take my comments with a grain of salt . Bullstrap is a leather case in the sense of Apple leather case. Whereas Nomad is a rubber case with a piece of leather slapped on to its back. Sides are rubber. Bullstrap does not cover the bottom of the phone. Which can be a dealbreaker for some people. Nomad scratches easily and look like beaten up leather in a few weeks whereas bullstrap ages in the traditional leather fashion.

I’d refrain from commenting on stuff you haven’t used.

Bullstrap is nothing like Apple’s leather. Apple cases look nice and have great buttons but whatever they coated their leather with feels nasty after a few weeks. Bullstrap cases are vastly superior.

Regarding Nomad, this description couldn’t be further from the truth. First of all, it ain’t rubber and it feels nothing like it. It’s TPU with a frosted finish that feels great. Sure, you could be cynical and say the leather is “slapped on the back”, but in my opinion the transition between the two materials looks and feels seamless.

It really depends on what you want in a leather case. If you want full-on leather I recommend Bullstrap or Ryan London. If you want something a little more durable/rugged, go with Nomad.

mattiiiaa

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2022
hey, I recently bought a green iPhone 13 pro max, I was looking for a good leather case, and I've found a few in here. tho I need some on amazon, I have some money on there as a gift card, so I'm looking for suggestions. let me know :)

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
hey, I recently bought a green iPhone 13 pro max, I was looking for a good leather case, and I've found a few in here. tho I need some on amazon, I have some money on there as a gift card, so I'm looking for suggestions. let me know :)
Torro

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
I’d be curious if the one you receive suffers from the same issue. That said, there’s nothing about that case that warrants the price. I likely would have returned it even if the buttons weren’t all loosey-goosey.

Bullstrap is nothing like Apple’s leather. Apple cases look nice and have great buttons but whatever they coated their leather with feels nasty after a few weeks. Bullstrap cases are vastly superior.

Regarding Nomad, this description couldn’t be further from the truth. First of all, it ain’t rubber and it feels nothing like it. It’s TPU with a frosted finish that feels great. Sure, you could be cynical and say the leather is “slapped on the back”, but in my opinion the transition between the two materials looks and feels seamless.

It really depends on what you want in a leather case. If you want full-on leather I recommend Bullstrap or Ryan London. If you want something a little more durable/rugged, go with Nomad.
I already ordered the $30 nomad modern leather so I plan on sending the Spigen Enzo right back ?. I couldn’t pass on the 50% nomad from huckberry.com!

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I already ordered the $30 nomad modern leather so I plan on sending the Spigen Enzo right back ?. I couldn’t pass on the 50% nomad from huckberry.com!
Yeah that’s a great find. Including the Enzo that’s on its way back I have ten cases for my 13 Pro and the Nomad is by far the best. The modern leather is such a massive improvement over the previous generations of rugged leather.

I think you’re going to be very happy with it.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

I've been using a Nomad folio case on my iPad for more than a year, and on my XS for about four months. The iPhone case cost a total of $12 shipped, as an outlet closeout with a sale code applied on top.

My biggest beef with the iPhone case is that Nomad omitted the sleep/wake magnets, not helped by the stiff action of the side button needed to put it to sleep, but otherwise, it has the same qualities of its big brother, which I've been quite pleased with. Not sure if that's something they rectified with the newer cases, but in any case, so to speak, it was $12, so much easier to digest.

The Horween leather has a fantastic aroma, which fades, sadly, and patinas just like Nomad clearly promotes. That's why this thread exists, no? Contrary to some conceptions, leather is not a homogeneous material. Different cuts, different splits, different hide species, and different tanning methods. Personally, I'm not a big fan of leather that's made to look perfect, and wear like iron; might as well be vinyl in that case, marketed with some BS made-up term like "vegan leather."

Otherwise, the moldings are clean, and well done, particularly on the iPad case where the edges meet the screen, with a neat and refined design, like it was a native part of the device. The TPU is stiff enough to not warp, peel or fold over in response to pressure, like a cheap case might.

I can understand the subjective dislike for cases that have exposed non-leather edges, but the fact of the matter is that almost all cases have to have some sort of plastic shell backbone to give the case form, and provide some protective properties. Basically, every case uses a leather veneer whether it covers every bit of surface or not.

In that respect, the precision and fit/finish of the seams where the leather edges meet TPU is also top notch, and has proven to be durable thus far. On a cheap case, such vulnerable areas would be first to show signs of wear, or detachment, particularly the parts surrounding the outer edges of the camera opening, where the leather is very narrow, and has little surface area, making it more delicate.

I recall there is a company that did/does make a phone case that has no inner shell, and is basically two pieces of stiff leather roughly molded into the desired shape, but I don't recall its maker (who changed names), only that looked crude, and ill-fitting, like a beginner project of some kind. I think it also had awfully applied, mismatched edge coatings as well.

juhaszroli

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Yeah that’s a great find. Including the Enzo that’s on its way back I have ten cases for my 13 Pro and the Nomad is by far the best. The modern leather is such a massive improvement over the previous generations of rugged leather.

Where did you buy the nomad $30?

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021

I now have an extra Enzo maraca ?. I’m sending this **** back first thing tomorrow! I love my nomad that I just got though. I also have a Bullstrap ocean and I love it, but I got the nomad mainly for work. I’m a school police officer, so the Bullstrap made me nervous while breaking up fights ?

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I now have an extra Enzo maraca ?. I’m sending this **** back first thing tomorrow! I love my nomad that I just got though. I also have a Bullstrap ocean and I love it, but I got the nomad mainly for work. I’m a school police officer, so the Bullstrap made me nervous while breaking up fights ?
How ridiculous is that? Literally everything about the Nomad is better than the Enzo for a third of the price. Glad to hear you’re loving the it.

I don’t have social media but if I did I’d be lighting Spigen’s asses up.

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
How ridiculous is that? Literally everything about the Nomad is better than the Enzo for a third of the price. Glad to hear you’re loving the it.

I don’t have social media but if I did I’d be lighting Spigen’s asses up.
I did the tape trick you talked about and it worked like a charm but I’m still mad lol. If I decide to hold on to it, I’ll definitely not buy anymore cases.

filip98r

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Which cases will you guys use now that warmer weather is approaching? I'm asking since I'm scared that the sweat from my hands and hot weather will ruin the leather, so I'm interested in some cases that will be good for the summer months.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Which cases will you guys use now that warmer weather is approaching? I'm asking since I'm scared that the sweat from my hands and hot weather will ruin the leather, so I'm interested in some cases that will be good for the summer months.
Seriously? Just use it.

Once you get a new phone it's a throwaway anyway.

This kinda take is just crazy - It's a phone case not a £250,000 car

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
Leather does really well in the heat and I live in Vegas. But if you’re too concerned I’d go with pitaka Magez pro. Also the nomad sport band for the Apple Watch is excellent for the heat (if you have the Apple Watch). My wrist stays cool and doesn’t sweat at all with it.

Reactions: filip98r
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.