Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Ryan London. New out of the box, 2023-11-01, and today half a year later.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 100

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Do you guys use any kind of conditioner on your leather cases? If so, what brand?
I strictly use the brand Saphir for leather care products. For my shoes, portfolios, gloves and phone cases.

When I purchased my case from Ryan London I saturated the leather with Saphir Creme Universelle Leather Balm (specifically this one because it does not darken the leather), through many separate applications across many days with ample drying time in between. The result was a leather case not at all thirsty which gives a much slower patina development. Now after 6 months my case shows less patina than many other cases shown here do after just 1-2 months.

Not for everyone, but I want a slow patina where the leather doesn't just turn 1 shade darker evenly across the entire case.

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
I'm not worried. It’s just part of the patina journey. I'll likely be bored of the case, or moved on to a new phone before two years so it’s not an issue for me.
Each to their own :) The leather we get with cases nowadays is dry as hell, so it develops patina unnaturally fast since it soaks up any and all moisture and oil. Sadly, selling dry leather is probably intentional for this very reason, people want their patina yesterday. Then they throw away and start anew. It’s a shame really.

Surratt14

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Ventured down the leather case journey again for my iPhone 15pm. I started with a tan keyway leather case. The case itself was decent. Fitment was loose on the lower corners and the metal X logo on the back always bothered me. I got curious about the lucky coin leather case because you can’t beat the 30$ price point and the reviews seemed good. I’ve been an Apple leather case user since the iPhone 5 & my ocd often gets the best of me when trying 3rd party brands due to fitment, quality of leather etc. I went with the black lucky coin case. Here’s my thoughts, the fitment couldn’t be better. To be honest it’s the tightest fitting leather case I’ve ever had! There is no gap around the charging port that some leather cases have. All corners are extremely tight and “click” into place. The quality of the leather is amazing! I could smell the leather when I opened the box. The action button and volume buttons are very clicky and responsive and the power button has become that way now after a few days of breaking in the case. The cutout around the camera is great and provides enough lip to protect it when I set the phone down. The charging port cutout is centered and the speaker holes are perfectly cut out and smooth when I’m holding the phone with my picky next to them. Hands down my fav leather case I’ve ever had for a phone. Just wanted to pass along my thoughts for anyone thinking bout getting one or wanting a good leather case.

JerryIII

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Ventured down the leather case journey again for my iPhone 15pm. I started with a tan keyway leather case. The case itself was decent. Fitment was loose on the lower corners and the metal X logo on the back always bothered me. I got curious about the lucky coin leather case because you can’t beat the 30$ price point and the reviews seemed good. I’ve been an Apple leather case user since the iPhone 5 & my ocd often gets the best of me when trying 3rd party brands due to fitment, quality of leather etc. I went with the black lucky coin case. Here’s my thoughts, the fitment couldn’t be better. To be honest it’s the tightest fitting leather case I’ve ever had! There is no gap around the charging port that some leather cases have. All corners are extremely tight and “click” into place. The quality of the leather is amazing! I could smell the leather when I opened the box. The action button and volume buttons are very clicky and responsive and the power button has become that way now after a few days of breaking in the case. The cutout around the camera is great and provides enough lip to protect it when I set the phone down. The charging port cutout is centered and the speaker holes are perfectly cut out and smooth when I’m holding the phone with my picky next to them. Hands down my fav leather case I’ve ever had for a phone. Just wanted to pass along my thoughts for anyone thinking bout getting one or wanting a good leather case.
I agree with you. I think that the LC case is the best case I have ever had and that includes Apple's own cases. The fit is perfect, the camera bump is best in class and the leather feels and smells great. The $30 price is just gravy.

Reactions: RRC and Surratt14

Lyusi

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
Ryan London closed bottom for £44 vs Luckycoin for £36… Which one should I buy? :)

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
I currently using the Shieldon Leather case for my iPhone 15 Pro which isn’t too bad value at £22.99 feels nice and gets a gripper overtime. Prolly not as good as the main ones but it is pretty close and the case doesn’t deform when taking the case off and on multiple times

Reactions: RRC

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Ryan London closed bottom for £44 vs Luckycoin for £36… Which one should I buy? :)
Luckycoin seems to market their cases as made with "genuine leather". A.k.a bonded leather. A.k.a leather scraps ground up into dust and mixed with glue, then heavily processed. It is absolute trash.

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Just goes to show that people don't know what quality is, especially when it comes to leather.

Surratt14

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Luckycoin seems to market their cases as made with "genuine leather". A.k.a bonded leather. A.k.a leather scraps ground up into dust and mixed with glue, then heavily processed. It is absolute trash.
Seems as tho lucky coin must’ve hurt you a time or too 🤣🤣 aka. everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Reactions: clin0048

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Seems as tho lucky coin must’ve hurt you a time or too 🤣🤣 aka. everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Never heard about them until the other day when reading comments in here. You are indeed entitled to your own opinion, I merely pointed out that the level of knowledge amongst the general population is extremely low when it comes to leather. You yourself said “The quality of the leather is amazing!”, when in fact it is the lowest grade leather that is still legally allowed to be marketed as actual leather. It may be cheaper than Ryan London like someone pointed out, but you’re still massively overpaying since the leather is literally scraps mixed with glue.

Surratt14

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Never heard about them until the other day when reading comments in here. You are indeed entitled to your own opinion, I merely pointed out that the level of knowledge amongst the general population is extremely low when it comes to leather. You yourself said “The quality of the leather is amazing!”, when in fact it is the lowest grade leather that is still legally allowed to be marketed as actual leather. It may be cheaper than Ryan London like someone pointed out, but you’re still massively overpaying since the leather is literally scraps mixed with glue.
“Massively” over paying when I guess no one else does for the leather case of their choice? If this case is constructed of “glued leather scraps of dust” then consider me very sold because then I can’t even imagine what ingredient “apples leather case” consisted of in the 12-14 series run 😤! Thank you for educating me and everyone else on this forum. I suppose call me crazy but I’m happy with my “lowest grade legally sold leather case” ☺️ carry on. We’re all here for the love of leather. Weather it’s trash or not. #opinions. I also forgot to ask, have you personally purchased a lucky coin to justify your leather review or basing it on the web details?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.