Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnaby117

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I’ve never really known if I’m supposed to leave my iPad plugged in all the time, or if it’s better to let it drain to a certain point and then plug it in. What’s best for the battery? I’m using the latest iPad Air (late 2020). Thanks!

Reactions: slplss

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is best to exercise the battery on a regular basis. That means using it without being plugged in all the time. Ideally, you want to not let the battery drain lower than 20% and you don't want to keep it at 100% charged all the time, either.

Once a month, let the iPad drain to 20% before charging it back to 100%, let it stay at 100% for an hour before disconnecting it from the charger

This will help keep your battery in goof working condition.

Reactions: slplss and bsamcash

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Better not to keep iPad fully charged always. Keeping battery at less than 20% and also at 100% is not good. Once in a while discharge battery to 20% and then charge fully.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I keep my iPads between 40-50 and 90%.
Why? I consider it the best balance.
First of all, the best battery level for health of the battery is around the nominal voltage of the cells, which in turn it's slightly above 50%.
So batteries don't like extremes. Now why I don't discharge to 20? I only do if I need to, but if I don't I want to have more spare life, rather than risking needing my battery life when I am at say 25%...
Same with 90%, it's higher that the usual 80%, but it gives you more room, while at the same time avoiding the extreme...

Reactions: rui no onna

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Don’t leave it plugged in all the time, you can damage the battery like this, use your iPad normally and charge the battery when needed.

No need to over complicate things, especially with the fast chargers we have these days.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I keep my iPads between 40-50 and 90%.
Why? I consider it the best balance.
First of all, the best battery level for health of the battery is around the nominal voltage of the cells, which in turn it's slightly above 50%.
So batteries don't like extremes. Now why I don't discharge to 20? I only do if I need to, but if I don't I want to have more spare life, rather than risking needing my battery life when I am at say 25%...
Same with 90%, it's higher that the usual 80%, but it gives you more room, while at the same time avoiding the extreme...

Similar. The 12.9", I keep plugged in at the office so I connected the adapter to a Smart Plug and set automation to charge at 60% then stop at 90%.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Similar. The 12.9", I keep plugged in at the office so I connected the adapter to a Smart Plug and set automation to charge at 60% then stop at 90%.
I have put automations at 49% and 90%, so I get shortcut notifications to plug / unplug when the thresholds are reached... Most of the time I am there, if I am not it's not the end of the world, I'll either charge from a lower level or unplug from 100%. I never leave them plugged in at night however.
On the devices that have a battery life extender, instead, I leave the charger in all the time when I am at my desk.... (my samsung tablet and laptop at 85%, plus other Windows laptops from HP and Microsoft)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have put automations at 49% and 90%, so I get shortcut notifications to plug / unplug when the thresholds are reached... Most of the time I am there, if I am not it's not the end of the world, I'll either charge from a lower level or unplug from 100%. I never leave them plugged in at night however.

Plain notifications don't work for me. What usually happens is it stays 100% almost the entire workday or I forget to plug it in and often the charge gets too low when I need to use it on battery.

I've got overnight charging scheduled, too (Anker 60W 6-port, 12am-2am).

My ThinkPads, I believe, are set to the default 75-80%.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Plain notifications don't work for me. What usually happens is it stays 100% almost the entire workday or I forget to plug it in and often the charge gets too low when I need to use it on battery.

I've got overnight charging scheduled, too (Anker 60W 6-port, 12am-2am).

My ThinkPads, I believe, are set to the default 75-80%.
I think it really depends on the usage... but if I ever forget to charge (because I didn't hear the notification) I can still alternate, while I put it to charge, between 10.5, 11, 12.9 and even my Tab S7+... Similarly, if I (rarely) miss a 90% notification, I generally use the 100% iPad first. But if you have scheduled chargers it's even better of course....

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I wonder if I let the battery drop to the charging point (let’s say 20%) is it OK to plug the cable and use the iPad while it’s charging?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I wonder if I let the battery drop to the charging point (let’s say 20%) is it OK to plug the cable and use the iPad while it’s charging?
It generally is, since iPads are cool devices... unless you are doing something intensive and are fast charging at the same time (which would make it hot, which is bad for the battery...)

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
What smart plug do you use? I’ve only made a script to send notification when battery drops below 20%/goes above 80%, but iPad can’t be connected to Apple Watch so I often miss the 80% point. Yours sounds like the ultimate solution.
Also a shame you can‘t see your iPad’s battery on your iPhone widget…

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think it really depends on the usage... but if I ever forget to charge (because I didn't hear the notification) I can still alternate, while I put it to charge, between 10.5, 11, 12.9 and even my Tab S7+... Similarly, if I (rarely) miss a 90% notification, I generally use the 100% iPad first. But if you have scheduled chargers it's even better of course....
Yeah, it really depends. I have a wifi-only 10.2 that's always in the office and a 10.5 Air 3 that's always in my purse that I can use. The one I leave plugged in used to be my only 12.9 device though and sometimes, I just need that size.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What smart plug do you use? I’ve only made a script to send notification when battery drops below 20%/goes above 80%, but iPad can’t be connected to Apple Watch so I often miss the 80% point. Yours sounds like the ultimate solution.
Also a shame you can‘t see your iPad’s battery on your iPhone widget…

I use this:

Nice thing is the outlets can be controlled separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.