Leaving iPhone plugged in for a week

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sviato, Jan 14, 2012.

1. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm leaving for Aruba tomorrow and decided not to take my iPhone with me. Last time I went on vacation I turned the phone off and left it at home, but when I got back and turned it on not all of the texts that were sent to me were received by my phone.

This time I was thinking of leaving the phone plugged into the charger for the week just so all texts and calls would come through normally and I could check them when I'm home.

Is there any dangers to leaving the phone plugged in for this long? My main concerns would be the phone overheating and maybe a fire starting if something happens with the charger.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It won't hurt, but I wouldn't. Putting in Airplane mode and leaving it connected makes no sense either.

I'd unplug it and collect your missed stuff on return....If you are not there then why?

3. sviato thread starter macrumors 68020

sviato

It won't be in airplane mode. I was to leave it plugged in at home. And the issue is that last time when I left it at home but left it turned off, not all the texts from the week arrived when I turned it on after getting home.

I thought of keeping it plugged it so that battery doesn't die.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Still not with you. That information will be there whatever way you do it:confused:

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Once the battery is charged it won't draw any more and the phone will live off that incoming power. It's fine!!

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

It probably won't hurt the phone but I wouldn't do it!

7. cynics macrumors G3

You'll be fine. It stops charging once full so it will cycle off the incoming power.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't keep it plugged in for a week. I always unplug anything before I go anywhere for an extended period of time.

Say, if you keep your phone on but turn of Wifi, bluetooth, brightness, vibration, sounds, cellular data, and so on. Maybe it'll last for a week staying on.

9. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I would imagine that the battery might even last the full week if left dormant. I have left mine on my counter for a few days while out of town. I was gone 4 days and the battery had only dropped to 45%. I had charged it the night before and left it on the counter on my way to the airport. Thank God for business phone or I would have been farked.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Personally, I don't see the point, as if I have something important coming through, the information would find a way of reaching me wherever I am... but, to actually answer the question, it won't hurt anything.

11. SporkLover macrumors 6502

It stops charging once the battery is full..... but when does it start to charge again? If it's a number fairly high like 90%, that can be detrimental to the overall life of the battery.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Charge circuit cuts the power. Phone lives off that power not the battery

13. APtalent macrumors regular

There are resistors which prevent any incoming current when the phone is fully charge. No damage will be done.

14. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

I would dare say that it would last the week without any problems. Turn off all location services and things like wifi, Bluetooth and cell data like above user said and it should be fine.

15. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Just turn off wifi/cell data/bluetooth. It should last a week if in an area with a strong signal.

Or put your sim in a dumb phone if you don't think the iphone would last.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

17. wharzhee macrumors 6502

there's another thread about 200hrs standby for an iphone 4s.
    not that id really try, but that wld chalk up to abt 8 days. (hopefully, if specs is true. haha)

18. gladoscc macrumors 6502

Your battery would drop in capacity, permanently. Do this a few times, and enjoy being able to use it for 3 hours.

Leaving it in the charger for 24 hours is one thing, 200 is another.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

So your saying that if I put my iPhone on the charger for a week straight three times that my usage time will drop to three hours? I might take you up on that ;)

20. gladoscc macrumors 6502

Sure, go ahead. I'll be laughing at your iNeedJuice.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'll post on this thread when I'm done.

22. wharzhee macrumors 6502

id advise against that. dont leave any devices charging, its damaging to the battery. even if it has a smart charging circuitry, ull never know if the battery charging really stopped.

23. matttye macrumors 601

True, but it's generally not a good idea to let any electrical equipment sit around for long periods of time with no supervision. Faults can and do occur, which is how a lot of house fires start.

24. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

yeh, why not leave it not charging for a week?

Turn off all push notifications and 3G (if possible) and WiFi, bluetooth etc etc, should last the distance :cool:

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Do like some of the people said. Turn off wifi, bluetooth, vibration, sound, cellular data and so you just get texts and calls. This is a good test to see if the phone will last 300 hours if it's an iPhone 4 or 200 hours if it's a 4S.