Leaving Verizon is like leaving a needy ex-girlfriend

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Jul 7, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I called Verizon Monday to terminate contract, and the guy asked why I was leaving and after mentioning the iPhone, he sorta muttered in a mellow tone "You don't like err the Incredible or err have you seen it uhh" and I gave him a standard "I have a Mac, everything works" answer just to move along. Really nice guy, felt bad because of his puppy dog tone.

Then today, after I took their customer surveys (I'm going into marketing so I appreciate those kinds of things) I got a call from a rep that wanted to ask a few further questions about terminating service with them. She almost makes me feel guilty for them. She mentions Verizon's extensive service area, quality line up (that's always growing) of Android phones, and I responded to each politely saying that AT&T's voice quality in my area is the same to Verizon's and that their 3G speed is more to my preference than Verizon's (i.e. faster).

She prolonged the conversation and I truly felt like I broke up with my girlfriend on Monday and today her mom called to see if she could mend things. My actual girlfriend might get a little jealous (no, that's not an iPhone reference).

2. samcraig macrumors P6

And no doubt Verizon will stalk you for awhile trying to entice you back with stuff they should have been giving you when you were with them ;)

3. f00f macrumors 65816

f00f

Verizon stalks for about 3 months or so after a termination; they give you that long to reactivate the account anyway.

Regarding the 3G speed, if there's any long term truth to this thread, you may wish to reconsider. ;)

4. auero macrumors 65816

Everytime I left they got me to go back. They gave me offers I couldn't refuse. (Free blackberry on a ONE YEAR contract and refunded me my ETF)

5. llarson macrumors member

Welcome to the HELL that is ATT

Welcome to the girlfriend who spends all your money and ask for more while always having a Headache!!!

6. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Ha. :D

Really though, network differences aside, AT&T and Verizon aren't all that different when it comes to siphoning your money away. Not sure why people have to be fanboys (for lack of a better word) of any of these companies really.

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Unless there is some reason you want to hear their offers, if they call again I would just be firm with them and say that you are not interested in doing business with them anymore and that if they continue to call you you will never consider doing business with them ever again. Ask them to please take you off their call list and that if they continue to call you will report them to the do not call list for telemarketing.

That's what I would do.

8. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

The jokes on you !!! You walk away now but you'll crawl back when you get a taste of AT&T.

9. reelbgpunk macrumors member

I had a similar experience with T-Mobile. Been with them for 7 years and was running an unlocked 2G. I honestly felt bad leaving; I got everything dirt cheap since I was grandfathered into 5.99 internet and that included jailbroken tethering, although it was slow. She offered me a lot to stay but I have used my mom's Android phone and I hated it.

10. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

This is how cell service providers should be...competing for each persons business each and every month. The way the US system is set up now there is very little need for a provider to ever competing except near the very end of a contract.

Personally, I would tell Verizon that you want their best phone and their equivalent to the everything plan for < $40/month (so your total bill is less than $50 with taxes). That's really too hard to pass up even though it has no iPhone. They'll either say no and you move on, or they say yes and you get a great deal. A friend of mine is with Sprint and he pays ~$40/month for their everything plan.

I would dump AT&T if I wasn't on a FAN family plan since there are just many deals out there to be had.

11. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

You think that's bad, try breaking up with their over priced land line service. :rolleyes:

12. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Three years after dropping Sprint I still get "rebates" 2 or 3 times a year. A dollar here, two dollars there, sometimes 5 dollars because Sprint was a pack of lying cheats and ripped me off, got caught and taken to court with a class action lawsuit. Then they call three times a day every day for a month to make sure I received that oh-so-important check. Cracks me up.

If a carrier REALLY wanted to be competitive, they'd offer to pay your ETF up front to jump ship and then divide it up monthly and add it into your bill. You'd still be paying it, but not $300+ at one time. Chances are a lot better I'd ditch AT&T if a carrier did that.

13. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Once I get my iphone 4 in the mail soon i'm porting my number! Good bye Verizon :-D

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Repeat after me: "Please put me on your do not call list." Not only can they not call you again, it is illegal for them to continue to try to sell to you after you make that request. All they can do is acknowledge your request and say goodbye.

15. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

absolutely. when i finally ditched my landline a couple of years ago the rep i talked to tried everything to get me to keep it, the final pitch being: if i'm too injured to speak i can still pick up the phone and dial 911 and they'll know where i am and come save me!

stay classy, verizon

16. VTMac macrumors 6502

If only this were true. The law allows an exception to this request. If you had a business transaction (exchange of funds) within the past 90 days they can call you all they want.

Though only the worst of companies will ignore your request to no longer be called.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

911 is actually a very good reason to keep a land line.

18. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Reminds of trying to cancel Sirius Satellite Radio... those guys wouldn't leave me alone until I finally got fed up with their nagging and quit being nice.

19. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

If you guys want the nagging to stop, always say "My company got me one for free". Works with cars, phones,ISP's, etc. They can't beat that and they will leave you alone.

20. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I didn't have no problems leaving Verizon, just need to burn the bridges on your way out of there heh

21. johnntd macrumors member

It won't be in my case

Left Verizon last year for the iphone 3GS and would never consider going back. Verizon, in my opinion, is way worst than AT&T. Dropped calls have been much less and call quality is much better with AT&T. Have recently converted all 5 family members to AT&T and they love it too. Not sure why I believed Verizon was better...

22. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

There is nothing great about Verizon. I left a year ago for the iPhone 3GS & like other posters here I can't of any reason to go back

23. Greeney macrumors newbie

In the process of trying to switch my family away from VZW... They are pretty horrible.

24. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

When I ported my husband's phone to AT&T from Verizon, Verizon kept billing us and taking payment from the credit card. I went to the Verizon store with both phones and showed them that the line was on AT&T. Verizon kept telling me that AT&T had not notified them, while AT&T, of course kept telling me they automatically get notified. In the end Verizon said they would credit me. Yeah, right..... I removed my credit card number from their web site so that they wouldn't bill me and get paid a second month.

25. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

do tell! i keep planning on doing this since we never use it anymore... but i like the security...