MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Economic Daily News reports (via Engadget) that Apple will start using LED backlit screens in all of their MacBooks in 2009.

Steve Jobs had previously announced the intended transition to the environmentally friendly LED screens, but left no exact time-table for the switch. LED displays were first introduced into the Mac line with the 15" MacBook Pro in June 2007. Advantages of the first Macbook Pro LED screens included:

- extended battery life
- instantly at full brightness, no warm up necessary
- same brightness and color range as previous screens.

The LED screen has since made its way into the 17" MacBook Pro as a $100 upgrade and the MacBook Air as a standard part. In fact, the MacBook Air's LED display has been noted to be particularly bright compared to the rest of Apple's laptops. Meanwhile, even though the next MacBook revision is expected in the 3rd quarter of this year, MacBook customers may have to wait until 2009 for LED screens.

Article Link

VideoShooter

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
Wow, this is going to be great. I love the LED on my 17 incher.

Go Mac Book!

btw... 1st! I am awesome!

So AWESOME!

Comment

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Bummer. I was hoping for an LED display in the supposed upcoming revision.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I say bring it on. I really like these screens. Them seem to work very well. I believe that the LEDs are less likely to burn out as well.

Comment

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
LED screens, possibly a redesign... nice. Makes you want to wait till next year to purchase one :rolleyes:

Comment

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Weird... IIRC, the financial chief said in a conference last year that all computers would get LEDs in 2008...

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
HA! I glanced quickly at the headline and thought it said "LCD Screens in All MacBooks by 2009" and was like "THEY ALREADY ARE!!!!"......

Been a long morning I guess.....

But anyways, I agree that they should make it into the Cinema Displays ASAP.

Another thing is a new iSight.

If Apple isn't going to bring out the displays with the photocells in between the LCDs soon, they really need to bring an iSight 2.0 out. I've noticed that my built in iSight in my MacBook makes my original iSight on my PowerMac G5 look like I am looking through a fuzzy, dirty glass window at dusk.

With how small the MacBook(s) iSight camera is now, there is no reason that they can't make a small clip on housing with a USB cable that could go on top of all displays. Everyone else is doing it! And besides, I have not found a USB camera out there that is any better than my worst iSight, so go figure!

Comment

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
My antique PowerBook 17 is so dim you need a flashlight to see the thing. I would love an LED screen -- maybe soon ;)

Comment

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
Great! That will about the time I will want to buy a new one to replace my current MB 2.0GHz.

Now if they can only change the graphics card.....

Comment

djcj

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
WHoopdy doo. How about a real upgrade. LED backlit screens should have been in the last revision.

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
WHoopdy doo. How about a real upgrade. LED backlit screens should have been in the last revision.

Its still quite a big upgrade, the original Macbooks already look dim with full brightness, while the MBA is astoundingly bright to my eyes.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I'd really rather them work on the technology and get it 100% reliable and right before they start using it across the entire product line.

Perhaps there are technical issues/reasons why it was easier to implement it in the 15" MBP and Air but it hasn't made it to the other lines yet.

Patience. It will come soon.

Comment

Jimmery

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2005
Canada
dates

So when does the 3rd quarter run? July/August/September is the 3rd quarter for the calendar year, but are they talking fiscal year? If so, what dates does the quarter span?

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
LED brightness is much more higher than CCFL.

LED is as bright as CCFL when it's new, not brighter, iirc (though I could be wrong). Regardless, when my Powerbook's CCFL screen was new it was initially way too bright to look at. So if LEDs are capable of going brighter than that, then it's a useless difference in this application.

p.s. I'm no grammar stickler, but uh, "much more higher?"

(edited to accurately quote the o.p.)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.