Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's intention to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from this year's iPhone 7 has been a well-publicized rumor since last November, with the widespread belief that the company would use a Lightning port to provide both charging and as a source for audio output on 2016's iPhone. Today, however, Chinese company LeEco announced a line of smartphones that will beat Apple's rumored removal of the 3.5mm headphone port, instead opting for a USB-C input (via Engadget).

LeEco also has its hands in product categories like smart TVs and electric cars, with offices in Los Angeles and Silicon Valley, but the company keeps most of its smartphone business focused locally in China. The new line of smartphones -- dubbed the Le 2, Le 2 Pro, and Le Max 2 -- will run the Android operating system, and users will be able to purchase either in-ear or over-ear USB-C headphones to go with the new phones. No specific plans were divulged, but LeEco noted that it intends to bring "at least one" of the devices stateside in 2016.

LeEco-smartphones-800x429.jpg
Image via Engadget​

Similar to other Android devices like the Nexus 6P and the Huawei Mate S, all three of LeEco's new devices have a rear-facing fingerprint scanner to allow access into the smartphone. Each version has a slightly curved backside that flows into chamfered edges and an edge-to-edge, "borderless" display, all housed in a metallic body.

The Le 2 and Le 2 Pro are analogues of the iPhone 6s Plus, featuring 5.5 inch, 1080p displays, but coming in slightly above Apple's 2750 mAh battery at 3000 mAh. Understandably, the Le 2 Pro stacks up better against the Le 2 in a few categories: it has a 21-megapixel rear-facing Sony IMX230 sensor and 4GB of RAM, whereas the Le 2 packs a 16-megapixel rear-facing camera and 3GB of RAM. The Le 2 will cost 1,099 yuan ($170), while the Pro version will run for 1,499 yuan ($230).

The Le Max 2 has a bigger screen than the other two devices at 5.7 inches, and includes Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 820 processor, a more "advanced ultrasonic" fingerprint scanner, and a bigger 3100 mAh battery. That's in addition to optical image stabalization, increased storage capacity options, and a total of 6GB of RAM. A 32GB storage option of the Le Max 2 (with a lesser 4GB of RAM) will cost users 2,099 yuan ($325), while the increased storage of 64GB (and 6GB of RAM) will sell for 2,499 yuan ($390). Pre-orders for all three smartphones began today in China.

Although nothing has been confirmed this far out from the iPhone 7 event, which will most likely take place in September, recent rumors have suggested Apple could ship Lightning-enabled EarPods with the smartphone to ready users for a new shift in headphone inputs. One report suggested recently that the company might even adopt Bluetooth-enabled headphones for the iPhone 7 to free up the Lightning port when listening to music, but still be able to charge the wireless EarPods through the iPhone when they run low on battery.

Read More: JBL Announces Noise-Canceling Headphones Powered by USB-C

Article Link: LeEco's Latest Android Smartphones Beat Apple to Removing the Headphone Jack

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ok, then. Now we can choose between an iPhone and an iPhony.
Take your picks.

USB-C headphones may become more universally accepted than Lightning Headphones, but I don't think iOS users could take a punch with another interface change.

This change would mean we would have to buy new HDMI Adapter, new USB Adapter, new SD Card Reader Adapter, a whole new net of cables and car chargers, etc.. What an expensive nightmare!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
now how many people will hoot and holler at Apple when/if they remove the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Reactions: AleXXXa

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
My problem with removing the 3.5mm headphone jack and replacing it with Lightning is that Lightning isn't significantly smaller. Lightning is wider and still has some significant height. If they were to remove 3.5mm, why not replace it with something much more advanced? My guess is Lightning has an expiry of around 2019.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
My problem with removing the 3.5mm headphone jack and replacing it with Lightning is that Lightning isn't significantly smaller. Lightning is wider and still has some significant height. If they were to remove 3.5mm, why not replace it with something much more advanced? My guess is Lightning has an expiry of around 2019.

The main reason for switching to a Lightning Connector is to eliminate the digital-to-analog converter and amplifier required for the 3.5 mm jack.

The Lightning connector would provide a Digital Signal to the headset instead, and it's up to the headset to convert, amplify and do whatever else may be necessary.

Moving completely away from the Lightning interface (for example to USB-C) will cause a deep financial impact for iPhone users, having buy new accessories all over again.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'm not very bothered about this happening with an Android phone. It's just another Android phone, so if you hate the idea of having no standard headphone jack, there'll be another Android phone along in 5 minutes that still has the headphone jack. Maybe there are cries of outrage on a LeEcoRumors site somewhere?!

It's different with the iPhone, where there are a limited number of models that tend to be very similar, which is part of why I think removing the headphone jack from the iPhone would be a mistake. Lots of people use it, and needing to use bluetooth headphones or an adapter will be a kludgey, inelegant situation IMHO.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Wow! I can't wait to not buy it.

Isn't the middle of the phone the very best spot to connect your headphones? That way there is absolutely no way to put it in the pocket without risking breaking either the plug or the socket. Well done!

Ok, then. Now we can choose between an iPhone and an iPhony.
Take your picks.

USB-C headphones may become more universally accepted than Lightning Headphones, but I don't think iOS users could take a punch with another interface change.

This change would mean we would have to buy new HDMI Adapter, new USB Adapter, new SD Card Reader Adapter, a whole new net of cables and car chargers, etc.. What an expensive nightmare!

But the question is will Apple EVER support USB-C on iPhone/iPad? If so, better to rip the bandaid off now before you buy even more adapters. Also, Apple can help support the push of the new USB-C standard which is beneficial for all.

I'm not knowledgeable enough of the technical pros/cons of each, but if USB-C is at least equivalent to lightning I would fully support the transition to USB-C this year.

Reactions: jayducharme

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Funny how rumors around next iPhone actually impact other manufacturers so they desperately realise them into newer models just for sake of saying "we did first"

Everyone is learning from everyone else. Apple tends to lead more than not, but some things are also obvious; like when Bluetooth has reached such market penetration and there are better interfaces for audio (lightning, USB-C) and the original component (3.5 mm jack) is using up space.

It makes sense that a relatively small Chinese company would be able to do this faster than a company as big as Apple that deals in much more volume and arguably will have a bigger impact on the headphone market. None of that will stop Apple, they're never shy of moving things forward, but I imagine they want all the pieces in the right place. (Including the Beats division).

Reactions: Deelron

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
They don't have to replace the jack with Lightning. Apple won't put a second lightning port on the iPhone (though they've apparently explored putting a second port on the iPad). They'll just remove the headphone jack, and you'll plug lightning-compatible headphones into the Lightning port that is already there.
I wonder if Apple will offer a lightening to 3.5 adapter. I'm sure it would be 19.99
Probably. I don't think I'd need to buy one. I occasionally use my earbuds to make a phone call or to watch a movie on a plane. I'll be fine with the lighting compatible earbuds that will likely be in the box with the iPhone.

There will also eventually be MFi earphones and headphones that are lightning compatible.

But the adapter will be useful for those who use a cable to connect to a 3.5mm auxiliary input jack. And for those who have a favorite pair of legacy earbuds or headphones that they want to use with their iPhone.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah, yeah! The rumors. Every Apple rumors you read on MacRumors, will be later copied by the Chinese. Sad but true!

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedy Dingo

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
now how many people will hoot and holler at Apple when/if they remove the 3.5mm headphone jack.
What??
What does this post even mean??
Now EXACTLY the same amount of people as before will "hoot and holler" at Apple for removing the headphone jack... why on earth would a 4th tier, basically unknown Android manufacturer not offering a headphone jack on their latest "pre-knockoff, based on rumors" phone have ANY bearing whatsoever on people's pleasure or displeasure with Apple continuing on with their plans??
*genuinely trying to follow your train of thought*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.