Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Probably because the PS3 != Mac ;)

Cant believe people still use a PS3....its all about the Xbox - the 1 thing MS got right!

(for the record, I own both but as you probably guessed, dislike the PS3)

Failed HD-DVD Drive, barely any 1st Party Development, Horrid Controllers (compared to the PS3), and soon-to-be Failed Kinnect...

Yep... the 1 thing MS got right :rolleyes:

Caviar

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2009
Come on... Stop the fanboy war (for both PS3 and 360)....

We should be celebrating this :)
Finally! I was waiting for L4D to come to the Mac.
But one thing I need is a GPU upgrade(HD5870), which still isn't available!!
Hurry Apple!!!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Don't bother. Games on the Mac is dead despite Steam. Call me when Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops plays at all on a Mac, even slow.
Steam for Mac is months old, yet sales have been incredibly high for a platform where gaming is apparently dead. Maybe you believe developers can just magic up ports in a couple of weeks. Things don't move that quickly.

There will be more games for the Mac thanks to Steam showing how much demand there actually is, and with PC gaming revenue dropping companies will be looking to tap the revenue the Mac demand suggests. The likes of Aspyr with their crappy Cider ports were killing Mac gaming. Now we're beginning to move past that the future actually looks a lot brighter.

tCruzin4lyfe

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Good stuff, I love L4D1 & 2 and I'm still playing it alot on my 360 so I'm happy that Mac users will be able to slay some zombies plus playing on a desktop has the advantage of all the custom maps

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Failed HD-DVD Drive, barely any 1st Party Development, Horrid Controllers (compared to the PS3), and soon-to-be Failed Kinnect...

Yep... the 1 thing MS got right :rolleyes:

The xbox has by far the best controller lol. The ps3 sticks are terrible and in a really bad place. Not to mention the god awful trigger buttons. The 360 also has a lot better games. And live blows away the psn.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
The xbox has by far the best controller lol. The ps3 sticks are terrible and in a really bad place. Not to mention the god awful trigger buttons. The 360 also has a lot better games. And live blows away the psn.

Of course your opinion is fact/law. :rolleyes:

But this is all besides the point, the best game computer has already been made, the Commodore 64. ;)

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I'm cautiously optimistic. I have the PC version and it runs fantastic on my game machine. Though, I haven't experience stellar performance under bootcamp on my MBP. Heres hoping the performance vs. detail level is acceptable.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You know all this stuff is subjective so you can't actually win the argument? It can't end. There is no point. Neither controller is "better", some people prefer one to the other. Some people prefer the games on either/both platforms.

And to jmull - Mac gaming isn't dead either. Gaming seems to bring out the crazy in people.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Don't you see the poor support of OpenGL on OSX?

Actually OSX has one of the best OpenGL support for a Unix system. Linux and BSD still don't have complete 2.1 support without replacing the existing DRI/DRM (If you don't know what those mean you aren't qualified to talk about low level computer graphics programming), and all that Apple needs to support OpenGL 3 fully is GLSL 1.3.

Slow performance != bad support.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Video Games!

Yes!!!!
now we just need halo reach..... jk. I know not going to happen.

more games for os x which means more gamers will buy a mac.
which means more games will be made for mac hell yea!!!!

Though they have a long way to go, 99% of the pc games I play are only on windows.

a mouse and keyboard is hands down the best input method, but if you are stubborn you can still use a xbox 360 controller on a pc.

and xbox doesn't have the best games, cuz a pc has every major game on xbox with the exception of halo and gears 2. plus all the pc exclusive games

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
a mouse and keyboard is hands down the best input method, but if you are stubborn you can still use a xbox 360 controller on a pc.

and xbox doesn't have the best games, cuz a pc has every major game on xbox with the exception of halo and gears 2. plus all the pc exclusive games
Some people may prefer a controller.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Well, L4D is currently my favourite game series of all time, and a week after I bought L4D2, my PC died a death.

A year later I can play it at home as opposed to on my mates 360. Psyched.

MBPnoob

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Wow this flame war takes me back to grade school when it was SNES vs Genesis.

To quote Billy Madison...

Kid: Mortal Kombat, on Sega Genesis, is the best video game ever.
Billy Madison: I disagree, it's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever.
Kid: Donkey Kong sucks.
Billy Madison: You know something? YOU SUCK!

:D

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Valve would get my $60 in a heartbeat for a Mac version of Civilization V, but a zombie shooter really isn't something that I would purchase. It is wonderful, though, to see Valve promoting cross-platform development with their Steam product.

And what has Valve to do with a Mac port of Civ V? Just for the record, Valve is the company that developed Left 4 Dead, but they are NOT the company that developed Civ V - they only distribute it through their Steam service.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Yes!!!!
now we just need halo reach..... jk. I know not going to happen.

more games for os x which means more gamers will buy a mac.
which means more games will be made for mac hell yea!!!!

Though they have a long way to go, 99% of the pc games I play are only on windows.

The Xbox 360 has a bunch more exlcusive titles, the most notable one at the moment is Alan Wake and next year we will have Gears of War 3. Microsoft makes sure that there is a steady supply of Xbox exclusives, they want that platform to succeed and they want gaming to move away from Windows.

And, unlike somebody said, there is nothing mediocre about Gears of War 2 or Alan Wake.

I tell you what completely sucks about PC gaming: DRM/Copy protection. It's completely painless on an Xbox 360, but on a PC those things have become painful to a degree that they almost break your system (well, as we could read several times everywhere, in many cases DRM drivers actually have broken systems or opened unwanted backdoors).

The other thing that completely sucks on a PC is the requirement to constantly upgrade your hardware in order to be able to fully enjoy a new game. It's costly and annoying. And since I'm no longer 13 years old, I just don't see the benefit or fun in that anymore.

The Xbox 360 solved all those problems for me. And I also don't have a problem with the controller anymore - at first I didn't like it and was missing the mouse and keyboard, but then I got used to it. Heck, I'm a casual gamer - I don't get paid to play games and I also do not get an ego boost because I have such a great frag score.

Games are there to give me a relaxing, good time. They are not supposed to be work or the meaning of life (unless, maybe, you are a game developer and enjoy creating virtual worlds).

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Actually OSX has one of the best OpenGL support for a Unix system. Linux and BSD still don't have complete 2.1 support without replacing the existing DRI/DRM (If you don't know what those mean you aren't qualified to talk about low level computer graphics programming), and all that Apple needs to support OpenGL 3 fully is GLSL 1.3.

Slow performance != bad support.

I'm saying OSX is far behind windows when it comes to support OpenGL. That's why people rather play game under windows than OSX. Not mentioned OpenGL 3 been released 3 years ago and Apple yet to implement completely this far. Apple has poor support on OpenGL 3 and lead to poor gaming performance on OSX. Don't hold your breath waiting for Apple to support GLSL 1.3.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This is good news for all Mac users who would enjoy these games. :) Back in '06 with the first intel iMacs I was thrilled to play PC games via bootcamp. In late '08 I bought a desktop PC for games and rendering so I use that machine now.

However it's nice to see developers supporting the Mac platform. The demand for Mac games will only get higher as Valve and Steam continue to move their catalog to the Mac. I'm sure other companies are already looking at their previous or future games for the Mac. If my iMac was faster I'd still be playing games on it. It wasn't half bad in Windows XP at all for games, except for the sudden blue-screens while playing Battlefield 2...

Thank you Steam and Valve, this is fantastic. :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Thanks for agreeing with my point...! :rolleyes:

Having the option to have console VS PC matches would be interesting. However there is a lot of things that would make this difficult. The console and the PC would both need to be updated, or have a similar version. I believe Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 is compatible with the PC version. It may be because the PS3 allows use of a USB keyboard or mouse, but it can be done. But I can see how difficult it may be and the reasonings to not allow this. Different controller types may pit some users against one another and it may seam unfair etc.

Especially in a game such as Left 4 Dead with the many updates, DLC content, and other custom content that may not be as available on a console.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Civ V is coming, it was accidentally posted on Aspyr's website (and then taken down.)

Whaaaaaaat, really?????

That would be a nice way to finish up 2010 - Civilization 5 released just in time for the holidays :p, though probably unlikely.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I am more excited about this new campaign that is available. Apparently this is the pre-sequel campaign with Bill getting killed (Sacrificed) and is referenced in "The Passing" campaign with the crossover with the 4 new survivors. I hope they make a movie based on this zombie game someday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.