Leftover WWDC Rumor Tidbits

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A hodgepodge of last-minute claims that are unable to be verified, but posted for your amusement and discussion:

- Mac Pro Cube.
- 25" iMac in Black
- 27" (1920 x 1200) and 37" (4520x2540) displays

Tidbits that are believed to be true:

- Mac Pro announced at WWDC, shipping in August.
- Leopard targeted for shipping in Feb/March 2007.
- 24P in Final Cut Pro ready to go, announcement date unknown.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
I used to want a Mac Pro cube, but I must admit I've changed my mind. What I realised was that I didn't really want it, I just wanted a Mac with a specification I want for under $1,000, and that's just plain not going to happen. The mid-market Mac Pro lite people keep talking about probably doesn't have a market, as anything in the $1,200-1,800 will feel over-priced.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
peharri said:
I used to want a Mac Pro cube, but I must admit I've changed my mind. What I realised was that I didn't really want it, I just wanted a Mac with a specification I want for under $1,000, and that's just plain not going to happen. The mid-market Mac Pro lite people keep talking about probably doesn't have a market, as anything in the $1,200-1,800 will feel over-priced.
The price would be a nice feature, but I want a Mac Pro Cube for the aesthetics. :eek: :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well, I think a mid-range headless (maybe not a "cube," maybe just the SAME tower with lesser optical drive/HD/GPU/processor) would have a market--it could cost a little less than the iMac (no screen/iSight/speakers, maybe no SuperDrive, same GPU--but expandability) and then people could BTO a SuperDrive and/or any GPU right up to the highest. The slowest dual-core Conroe is still a FAST machine, if combined with a nice BTO GPU.

As for displays, 27" with the same pixel res as the old 23" (or a Dell 24") sounds odd to me.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
nagromme said:
Well, I think a mid-range headless (maybe not a "cube," maybe just the SAME tower with lesser optical drive/HD/GPU/processor) would have a market--it could cost a little less than the iMac (no screen/iSight/speakers, maybe no SuperDrive, same GPU--but expandability) and then people could BTO a SuperDrive and/or any GPU right up to the highest. The slowest dual-core Conroe is still a FAST machine, if combined with a nice BTO GPU.
That would be a nice computer that I believe would appeal to a lot of people. :)

Especially if it looks like this- :)

ebuc said:
The New Mac Cube
40-50 times faster than before.
Apple advertising/marketing at it's best! ;) :D

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Dude, this is definitely the time for the Cube to return. It could just be the Mini^3 (they'd write it correctly, but I dunno how to do that on here). Same widthxlength as the Mini, but make it taller. They could fit a nice computer in there, and still have it semi-upgradeable, but not a pro machine at all. Dunno if it'd cannabilize iMac sales if they placed it right around the same price ($1200? Maybe less since no screen, but no less than $999).

Of course, it's not going to happen. A guy can dream though, can't he?

jW

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Yep, it's that time of year again - the day before the day before an Apple conference.

"The Day of the Dodgy Rumours"

I'd like to add to the list of weak-arse rumours the following:

- new colours of iPod socks
- the new iPod HiFi Pro (clad in aluminium, more powerful, runs off a white plastic car battery for portability.

- new keyboard with a built-in crumb tray.

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
Well as I've said before, I expect a computer with just a pure Mac designation. Giving a full range of Mac mini, Mac and Mac Pro.
If apple is serious in it's ambition to take on MS in the corporate market then there has to be a mid-range headless machine. As things stand, the mini is just a no go for corporates and the Pro spec are just way over the top for all but science / video / photographic markets. The iMac can long continue but be targetted more at the consumer market.
So I say Mac Pro Cube rumor = Mac

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
nagromme said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Mid-range headless: Just take the iMac and lay it down flat. Remove the LCD, but reuse the other components. Reorient the I/O ports slightly, add HDMI out and you have a box that'll integrate nicely into most A/V systems, with the added beneift of much better performance than the Mini.

B

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
I would love a cube.

I didn't buy the old model since it was so limited and had quality issues, but I hate the enormous case of the G5.

Give me something small with multiple drives, multiple cpu's, a cutting edge GPU. Doesn't need to be as small as a cube, but surely we can do smaller than the G5 casing.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
nagromme said:

As for displays, 27" with the same pixel res as the old 23" (or a Dell 24") sounds odd to me.
A computer without DVD burning capabilities these days shouldn't be sold.

I'd really like a 23-24" Black iMac, a cheaper Mac Pro or a Mac Pro Cube :), or at least a C2D update to the current iMacs so I can get myself a 20" one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.