Legal to use Apple Watch while driving in ANY STATE?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MultiMediaWill, Apr 9, 2015.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Is it legal to use the apple watch in any state in the USA while driving?

2. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Good question. I've wondered about this myself. Would it fall into the "texting while driving" category (although technically it's not a phone, it has a screen and many of the same functions as a phone, and takes your eyes off the road)?

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Ah come on, you gotta let the lawmakers, ahem!, catch up with the technology.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I say it does. You can use your voice to text and send messages. It does take your eyes off the road to check the watch.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Georgia's law was written in such a way that any device that can access the internet is illegal to use when driving.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Hmm, Apple Watch would be less intrusive than the iPhone for navigation.

As a rule of thumb I think if you're playing with it then you could get pulled over but if you're passively using it you'll be fine.

7. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

My standalone Garmin has Internet access, phone and text capabilities,live cameras,live traffic although I doubt the cops would ever realize.

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Washington State: a person operating a moving motor vehicle while holding a wireless communications device to his or her ear is guilty of a traffic infraction.

a person operating a moving noncommercial motor vehicle who, by means of an electronic wireless communications device, sends, reads, or writes a text message, is guilty of a traffic infraction. Exception: A voice-operated global positioning or navigation system that is affixed to the vehicle and that allows the user to send or receive messages without diverting visual attention from the road or engaging the use of either hand

Legal! Mostly...

9. Dhonk macrumors member

texting isn't illegal in AZ, so I would suspect it's fine.

10. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Our provincial government made using a cellphone while driving an offence..

Would be funny to have a watch added to that list LOL.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't think that statement is true. It's the typing in of addresses while driving that is illegal. If you program the address in before you begin the trip, you aren't doing anything wrong.

12. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

How do you hold your wrist up to your vision and use your other hand to control the thing whilst holding the steering wheel and looking at the road? Not that I condone using your iPhone while driving, but at least iPhones CAN be operated one handed. The watch, essentially, cannot.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Voice activation. I don't text and drive, but if I really need to know what text came in on my phone while I'm motoring, I say "hey, Siri, read text."

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It's certainly not legal to use it in an inebriated state while driving.

15. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I suspect the watch would be covered under many states existing "Distracted Driving" statutes but that is only speculation.

For example, in some states the law that prohibits texting while driving is the same that prohibits eating while driving as well.

Am I rambling?

16. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

What's the difference between looking at your apple watch and normal watch while driving? I feel it will be hard to really substantiate a driver being guilty.

17. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

As an active supported and pusher for House Bill 25 in Texas, I know that there are no laws that say "no texting and driving"

The laws generally ban the usage of handheld devices. Depending on how the officer interprets it, touching the watch makes it a "handheld device" because it requires you to touch it to use. Just because you mount your phone to your radio and then you touch it doesn't make it a handheld device.

Now I'm sure no officer can pull you over for a glance over at your wrist and a tap or slide. But if you put your arm in the middle of your face and are blatantly focusing on that over the road, I know I would pull you over.

18. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

In Florida, there's only laws against texting, but not about using the phone in genera.

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Take that to court and win... so what about the internet enabled cars? Illegal?

----------

Take it to court you'll win.

----------

It is... the first person to push the issue in court will win.

20. urda Suspended

urda

Just, don't. God please don't. Pay attention to driving, you're piloting a giant hunk of metal that can kill people. Quit fiddling with your phone, watch, or whatever and pay freaking attention fool.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Thus far, Officer Jessie Myers of the Gwinnett County Police hasn't lost. Now, it could happen but the way the law is written, he is correct that it is illegal. I wrote the Police Chief, Butch Ayers about it. His response was to refer me to the OCGA.

Someone who works for me, had her iPhone 5s in a bracket on her windshield. She always uses SIRI to program it. She never touched the iPhone. Officer Jessie Myers of the Gwinnett County Police Department rode up behind her convertible and then was beside her at a traffic light. He pulled her over and wrote her a citation for it. The way the law is written, using your phone for anything other than a call is illegal in Georgia. This officer has written more tickets than any other department in the state for it. His tickets thus far stand. Most pay them but those few that take them to court, lose. He hasn't lost one yet.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

She might want to move to California where using your phone for GPS is legal.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

24. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Hmmm. Using my 8.4" touch screen that has internet access that came from the factory in my car isn't "illegal". Catch-22?

Regardless, at the end of the day what it comes down to is self-dicipline and some common sense. I am NOT saying that I am smarter or better than anyone, but I do not even touch my cellphone when driving. When I have my kids in the car I try to teach them that the phone is off limits when driving. So when they are old enough hopefully they will do the same.

Before I bought my car that shows my calls, reads my texts etc.... My pebble was fantastic in that when I got a call or text I could do a quick glance without really taking my eyes off the road.