Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
How does that prove anything? Are you saying that you can stream YT videos in flash at 720p and only play them from the hard drive in 320X240 resolution? While that would suggest that flash is efficient at playing videos, I'd argue that you're doing something wrong - flash isn't that good at playing videos (not that the alternatives are much better) and some lag at 720p is to be expected - I experience it on my Pentium4, my PentiumDuo, and my G5. I would think that would depend more on your video card.

And I'm saying that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that, there'll just be places from time to time that you won't be able to access and flashgames that you won't be able to play because you're missing an important plugin. It's up to you. :rolleyes:

I don't use it very often, but it still works fine on my JellyBean phone, and that's a GalaxyS 1 series device.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I'm not saying that anyone's "wrong" and I'm sure not trying to change anyone's life over Flash player either :p. The bottom line with flash is this: Your need for it solely depends on what you're going to do with your computer. If you're never going to browse a page that uses flash, you don't need to install it.

For example, I rarely use pages that require SilverLight or Java. Literally maybe 4-5 pages a year, and even though they're both annoying to install (and Java constantly pops up in the tray wanting to update), I hook 'em up as I need them them. I like to install only what's needed for how each particular system is going to be used.

I gotta say, I never got into it much myself. Flash will defend itself - it's not like the popular flash games front is going away anytime soon ("New Games, Every Thursday"), and even if they stop updating it, it's still fine because maybe they've reached a zenith and found nothing more to improve. Just like Windows 7, that was Microsoft's pinnacle - after that, they couldn't improve it anymore, and it totally died with the release of Windows 8. Microsoft could've stopped releasing new major versions, and at least it would've "finished strong". Perhaps if they stop doing major version updates to flash, it can avoid the same fate that Windows had (bad analogy, I know, but you see the point...:)).

::

Flash games? missing Flash games? Are you 12? Flash games??? I play real games on my Xbox 360. No flash game can top an Xbox 360 game, period.

New Games every Thursday? Are you serious? you play flash games? Yeah play flash games while I play some MW3, BLOPS 2, and watch some netflix...

Also, there's always something that needs to be improved. We cannot just sit and say there's nothing we can do about it.

Last edited:

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
xbox360

Flash games? missing Flash games? Are you 12? Flash games??? I play real games on my Xbox 360. No flash game can top an Xbox 360 game, period.

New Games every Thursday? Are you serious? you play flash games? Yeah play flash games while I play some MW3, BLOPS 2, and watch some netflix...

Woah, tap the brakes there buddy. Did you miss the point of my post? Flashgames aren't worth getting that excited over. Why would you want to play a flash game instead of an Xbox 360? What's wrong with you, "rjcalifornia" ?:p

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Woah, tap the brakes there buddy. Did you miss the point of my post? Flashgames aren't worth getting that excited over. Why would you want to play a flash game instead of an Xbox 360? What's wrong with you, "rjcalifornia" ?:p

Nope, you were saying that 'Flash games' are keeping flash alive.

Picture this, what if Apple had though that the "Motorola RAZR" was the 'pinnacle' and nothing can be done? What if Google would have though that the iPhone was the 'pinnacle' and Android was gonna be useless? You wouldn't have your Samsung Galaxy...

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
phone

Nope, you were saying that 'Flash games' are keeping flash alive.

Not solely.

Picture this, what if Apple had though that the "Motorola RAZR" was the 'pinnacle' and nothing can be done? What if Google would have though that the iPhone was the 'pinnacle' and Android was gonna be useless? You wouldn't have your Samsung Galaxy...

Apple didn't design the Razzer and Google didn't invent the iPhone. :)

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
How does that prove anything? Are you saying that you can stream YT videos in flash at 720p and only play them from the hard drive in 320X240 resolution? While that would suggest that flash is efficient at playing videos, I'd argue that you're doing something wrong - flash isn't that good at playing videos (not that the alternatives are much better) and some lag at 720p is to be expected - I experience it on my Pentium4, my PentiumDuo, and my G5. I would think that would depend more on your video card.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was saying exactly the oposite. Flash can't play anything over 240p on my PowerBook G4 1Ghz, while HTML5 can play videos up to 480p. Opening AVI files with MPLayer works for most HD 720p videos.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Not solely.

Apple didn't design the Razzer and Google didn't invent the iPhone. :)

lol u missed the point.

If Apple were to have your same thinking we would have never gotten the iPhone in the first place :)

You said: "There's nothing to improve on Flash" :rolleyes: Of course there is! May be make it lightweight, more mobile friendly, better integration, etc, etc, etc...

If Flash stays like it is today, well HTML5 will replace it :rolleyes:

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Roccat is cool. I just can't ever seem to get one of the social functions I'd use it for to work. But it's still a cool browser.

TFF is Firefox for Tiger of course. Aurorafox uses TFF's code, optimized for Leopard and also utilizing code from the Aurora nightly builds on Mozilla's website.

Leopard has code that Tiger does not. This requires workarounds for TFF that Aurorafox does not require. That's the difference.

That said, I have seen no work done on Aurorafox lately. It used to be about three or four versions ahead of TFF. Now, TFF has passed it and is two versions ahead of it. I don't know if this means the project is abandoned or not.
I believe Firefox dropped support for Leopard some months ago, only supporting SL and higher. Perhaps that's the reason for the lack of development.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I believe Firefox dropped support for Leopard some months ago, only supporting SL and higher. Perhaps that's the reason for the lack of development.

Firefox dropped 10.5 support long ago. However, Firefox performance (much like Flash) just sucked.

TenFourFox and AuroraFox are still alive, kicking, and are up to date ports of Firefox. Compared to Firefox itself, TFF rocks on the Mac. I honestly wish they'd really pull into Intel territory and show Firefox how to make their browser for Mac.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Firefox dropped 10.5 support long ago. However, Firefox performance (much like Flash) just sucked.

TenFourFox and AuroraFox are still alive, kicking, and are up to date ports of Firefox. Compared to Firefox itself, TFF rocks on the Mac. I honestly wish they'd really pull into Intel territory and show Firefox how to make their browser for Mac.
They have! :D

There's a fork of TFF for Intel. Cameron Kaiser thinks it's strange, but it's been ported. He mentioned it in a blogpost.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

Yep, even on Windows! I remember a time when Firefox was not stable if more than 10 tabs were open at the same time.

TenFourFox/AuroraFox are good and up to date.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

I completely agree, Firefox used to be my go-to browser but over time it started to get really unstable and slow, then I upgraded to Chrome, I've been using it a few years now, and WOW is it fast and stable compared to Firefox.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I completely agree, Firefox used to be my go-to browser but over time it started to get really unstable and slow, then I upgraded to Chrome, I've been using it a few years now, and WOW is it fast and stable compared to Firefox.

Chrome is fairly messed up too and taxes the system even on the smallest items. This is because it comes pre-installed with Flash (Look in the app itself and you'll see). So if the smallest item on the page can be done in Flash, Chrome brings up the (crappy) Flash player and Flash is never done right for Mac. Camino did a similar thing before it mercifully folded and I despised that browser also.

The nicest one I've seen is Roccat, and Safari is bringing so much of Roccat into its next (read 10.9) browser that my preferred will likely be Safari.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Chrome is fairly messed up too and taxes the system even on the smallest items. This is because it come pre-installed with Flash (Look in the app itself and you'll see). So if the smallest item on the page can be done in Flash, Chrome brings up the (crappy) Flash player and Flash is never done right for Mac. Camino did a similar thing before it mercifully folded and I despised that browser also.

The nicest one I've seen is Roccat, and Safari is bringing so much of Roccat into its next (read 10.9) browser that my preferred will likely be Safari.

I was talking about on Windows.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011

TFF is a good browser, but how could it be better than the modern Firefox? How does one even compare a browser that runs on a G4 or a G5 with a browser that runs on systems that are at least twice or thrice as fast? And TFF has zero plug-in support, so really comparing them is impossible.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
TFF is a good browser, but how could it be better than the modern Firefox? How does one even compare a browser that runs on a G4 or a G5 with a browser that runs on systems that are at least twice or thrice as fast? And TFF has zero plug-in support, so really comparing them is impossible.

I find FireFox slower than TFF on faster hardware.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
tff

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was saying exactly the oposite. Flash can't play anything over 240p on my PowerBook G4 1Ghz, while HTML5 can play videos up to 480p. Opening AVI files with MPLayer works for most HD 720p videos.

With YouTube, the flash player leaves something to be desired, and the HTML5 player is growing, but it still sucks. On most of my hardware, YouTube videos will play in 720p smoothly, but only with the flash player, and sometimes the video has to load all the way.

You said: "There's nothing to improve on Flash" :rolleyes: Of course there is! May be make it lightweight, more mobile friendly, better integration, etc, etc, etc...

If Flash stays like it is today, well HTML5 will replace it :rolleyes:

Flash already is pretty lightweight, somewhat mobile friendly (it's been available to handhelds since version 7), and Google Chrome now integrates it into the browser.

Actually, you only need to change one value on the "about:config" screen in TenFourFox to get plugin support back (tenfourfox.plugins.enabled). I wish this would've been made more obvious from the getgo as it's been pretty helpful to me already.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
One of the things I did find out yesterday that's helped was the removal of AdBlockPlus. Now, I'm a big fan of ABP, but apparently the later versions are resource hogs and I didn't know it. There is however, a fork of that extension called AdBlock Edge so I've installed that. Things have sped up considerably.

If speed is what matters to you though I would suggest Stainless or Demeter. Both webkit, both blazing fast. Of course, they aren't secure but at this point most of us are using a variety of browsers to accomplish certain tasks.

Good to know.

----------

I was talking about on Windows.

What is this Windows? :D

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I'm willing to sacrafice a bit of speed for customization. I use Aurorafox/TFF with a lot of plugins, but Flash is not one of them. If I want to see a video I'll use Camino or Safari for that.

I've optimized my browser as much as I can, tweaking the setttings and it's still pretty fast. This is on a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 with 2GB ram, but a failed external cache (which I am told limits processing power directly to the CPU, i.e., no caching). My G5 really has no issues.

One of the things I did find out yesterday that's helped was the removal of AdBlockPlus. Now, I'm a big fan of ABP, but apparently the later versions are resource hogs and I didn't know it. There is however, a fork of that extension called AdBlock Edge so I've installed that. Things have sped up considerably.

If speed is what matters to you though I would suggest Stainless or Demeter. Both webkit, both blazing fast. Of course, they aren't secure but at this point most of us are using a variety of browsers to accomplish certain tasks.

I wouldn't use Adblock at all now. Google paid them off so their ads break through by default. You have to toggle a setting in order to disable it. Glimmerblocker, afaik, has no such limitation or buyout and takes redoing on setting (advanced-network-settings. Click "use system proxy settings") to enable it in TFF/AuroraFox/Firefox.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I wouldn't use Adblock at all now. Google paid them off so their ads break through by default. You have to toggle a setting in order to disable it. Glimmerblocker, afaik, has no such limitation or buyout and takes redoing on setting (advanced-network-settings. Click "use system proxy settings") to enable it in TFF/AuroraFox/Firefox.

I would also vouch for glimmerblocker, it works well for me. I once an extension user of Adblock on Safari. It basically hogs resources on my PowerBook, without adblock Safari runs much better. I have also disabled all Safari plugins. I think I just dont need them anymore.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
I find FireFox slower than TFF on faster hardware.

Sorry I don't agree with that AT ALL - Firefox (with plenty of plugins!) on both a C2D MB, my MBP and my i3 Linux desktop are WAY WAY faster than TFF on the G5 in everything.

----------

I wouldn't use Adblock at all now. Google paid them off so their ads break through by default.

Agree 100%, would never support a developer/company that does this sort of underhand process. i have a system wide adblock using my AV and yes this is also much faster than my old AdBlock browser plugin.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Sorry I don't agree with that AT ALL - Firefox (with plenty of plugins!) on both a C2D MB, my MBP and my i3 Linux desktop are WAY WAY faster than TFF on the G5 in everything.

----------

Agree 100%, would never support a developer/company that does this sort of underhand process. i have a system wide adblock using my AV and yes this is also much faster than my old AdBlock browser plugin.

I'm not forcing it down your throat, relax. :rolleyes: YMMV...

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

My Quad is as fast as a 12 core Pro. :D :eek:
Well, it feels speedy! I like speedy macs!

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
ddwrt

----------

Have you tried the DDWRT ad blocker stuff? I read a bit about it but haven't quite got around to trying it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.