Leopard from a PPC perspective...

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
My 17" PowerBook is now graced with a (legal) copy of Leopard.

The first thing I noticed was the improved startup time. This thing boots FAST. Faster than Tiger.

Also, Dashboard loads widgets a lot more quickly.

I was expecting some slow-down, since I have a PowerPC Mac, but I am pleasantly surprised at the performance INCREASE that I've experienced so far with Leopard.

Mind you, it's only been a few hours.

Oh, and my PowerBook sleeps a lot faster now too.

More to come.

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Thanks for the heads up. PPC performance has been one of my niggles, I shall definitely be upgrading now.

Comment

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Leopard seed (client and server) work great on my Dual 1Ghz G4 with 1 Gb RAM. Can't wait to upgrade my Powerbook G4 1Ghz.

Comment

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
Good to know that someone is checking it out on older hardware. I can report to my Dad that his Dual G5 Powermac is still up to the job of running Leopard without a decrease in speed.

Shame the same cannot be said of Vista *shakes head*

Comment

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
Phew...
*Wipes forehead*
I have a 1 Ghz 15" PB with, I think, half a gig of RAM. Now that people have confirmed Leopard working well with PPC, all I need is a powercord for it. :p

Comment

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Leopard seed (client and server) work great on my Dual 1Ghz G4 with 1 Gb RAM. Can't wait to upgrade my Powerbook G4 1Ghz.
I have a last generation 12" PowerBook... I've read that the DVD player requires a 1.6 GHZ proc... Does the DVD player work fine on your system?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
the PowerPC is a wonderful platform, apple wont kill it till at least 10.8, but the G4 could die with 10.6

Comment

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
The CoverFlow view in Finder works very very well, but I notice a bit of load time for the icons. This is likely due to the fact that it's loading data off of a hard drive, and not to do with processor speed.

Although I wonder how the pitiful 167MHz frontside bus is limiting my performance with CoverFlow in Finder...

Anyway..

Safari also seems a lot more 'at home' in Leopard. It also runs a bit faster than in Tiger, but that might be due to the fact that my Leopard install is only a few hours old. It may also be due to the fact that I am absolutely ecstatic about Leopard right now.

I do notice the new Dock is a little buggy with magnification. It seems where the dock ends, about half way up the icons, the icons get split when moving quickly from left to right or vice versa. I see this as a small bug that will likely be fixed with 10.5.1.

The screensavers perform exceptionally well... far beyond what I expected. Although, there is a pretty decent video card in my PowerBook.

One more thing...

I should give the specs of my PowerBook.

17" 1.67GHz PowerBook Last rev, purchased March 13, 2006
2GB DDR2 RAM
120GB HDD
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

I apologize for the disorganization of my thread.

Comment

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I have a last generation 12" PowerBook... I've read that the DVD player requires a 1.6 GHZ proc... Does the DVD player work fine on your system?

Thanks in advance...
The second thing I tried was the DVD player. I tried the scaling thingy, works fine. Doesn't seem to be heavy on the processor.

All in all, this is a true upgrade, as far as performance and functionality.

I'm happy.

Comment

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
i hope i get a speed boost with my compy (see below) how did you install 10.5?

Comment

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
The second thing I tried was the DVD player. I tried the scaling thingy, works fine. Doesn't seem to be heavy on the processor.

All in all, this is a true upgrade, as far as performance and functionality.

I'm happy.
Sounds like apple once again doing the "Over exagerate = Happy customers!"

I heard a great analogy for it in these very forums: A pizza boys knows he can make his destination in 20 minutes but says it will be there in 40 minutes so if he is delyaed in traffic and takes 30 minutes the customer is still happy!

I believe apple are doing the same here and it is similar to the upgrading times which have been quoted as being done in only 30 minutes!

Comment

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Sounds like apple once again doing the "Over exagerate = Happy customers!"

I heard a great analogy for it in these very forums: A pizza boys knows he can make his destination in 20 minutes but says it will be there in 40 minutes so if he is delyaed in traffic and takes 30 minutes the customer is still happy!

I believe apple are doing the same here and it is similar to the upgrading times which have been quoted as being done in only 30 minutes!
I think you are right... but I am still waiting for my pizza.

Comment

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
...how did you install 10.5?
That's a very good question, I should have mentioned that before.

I backed up all my documents and important stuff and did an erase and install.

What a great feeling. Like a new-ish pair of underwear straight out of the dryer.

I am still playing around with it as we speak.

I hated the translucent menubar at first, but it looks awesome with my background.

Comment

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
can we get some screenshots, (about this mac) and other stuff?
Sure.

If you can think of 'other stuff', let me know :)

Edit:

PS: iPhoto runs a LOT faster when scrubbing through albums via 'events' view... meaning the pictures show up a lot quicker as I move my mouse across an event.

Attachments

Comment

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
A 2 gig machine is gonna be snappy no matter what, no? Still, sounds very cool.

I have some concerns about quick view lagging. Problem?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.