Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klagermkii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
Thats different, it only came with new computers from then on...it was not an update for older models...

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't change it easily on any machine, even when RI is ready to go.

Apple would in their usual infinite wisdom go "Right, you've got a Macbook Pro 15-inch @ 1920x1080 so you need to have RI set to 110 PPI" and "You've got an iMac 24-inch @ 1920x1080 which translates to 72 PPI". Applications would then all look exactly the same size across the entire Mac range, except the newer models have better detail than the older ones. Steve has always shown he does love consistency more than customizability.

And if you wanted you could still fiddle with the manual override in Quartz Debug (just as you can now). Only difference being it would actually work, and not mess up the Finder as the Leopard screenshots demonstrated.

There's just no real pressure on them to get their own apps ready until the hardware that needs it is almost out, but they'll have given the tools (like Quartz Debug and the docs on ADC) to third-party developers to get ready for it in advance.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
HOWEVER...too much customization can look awful, and SJ wants his precious machines to be shown off to family and friends looking purrfect...

I know, Steve Jobs does like his "quality" control. I appreciate it, hence why I'm an Apple user, however too much control leads to OCD. :p

Retired
May 16, 2006
I know, Steve Jobs does like his "quality" control. I appreciate it, hence why I'm an Apple user, however too much control leads to OCD. :p
In some ways its nice, but then we see press releases about bricking hacked iPhones...PEOPLE NEED NES!!!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Omg???

Oh I don't know. Maybe; Cougar, Lynx, Wildcat, and Lion.

GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game. How about we talk about multi-touch. Does anyone think they could still implement aspects of it in Leopard with those new weird touch pads coming in the new laptops? They already have the code in OS X iPhone right? Or do you think we will have to wait till 2009 and the next update?

Part of me thinks and hopes they will surprise everyone with that and really really beat Microsoft for another 5 years at least in advancement, meanwhile Microsoft will have a cool 5 foot $10,000 table LOL :p

ro2nie

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
Oxford
GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game. How about we talk about multi-touch. Does anyone think they could still implement aspects of it in Leopard with those new weird touch pads coming in the new laptops? They already have the code in OS X iPhone right? Or do you think we will have to wait till 2009 and the next update?

Part of me thinks and hopes they will surprise everyone with that and really really beat Microsoft for another 5 years at least in advancement, meanwhile Microsoft will have a cool 5 foot $10,000 table LOL :p

It'll be called Mac OS X Liger ;)

Retired
May 16, 2006
It'll be called Mac OS X Liger ;)

Ah yes...

10094534_9fc9e125b6_m.jpg

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game.

A-Freakin'-Men...! Maybe there should be an ongoing thread where people can show off their knowledge of cats, and throw about conjecture as to what cat the next mac os will be named after...

Meanwhile... I wrote in another thread that i think if they do implement a multitouch-pad onto laptops that it wont be a screen - but simply carry the same sort of functionality as Apples current touch screens. Also, the touch pad / wrist pad will be a totally seamless and flat surface, the only clue to there being a pad being a glassy plate... The more I think about it the more I think they will still need a physical button, there's certain things that require that physical feedback, especially in design (drawing using bezier curves for example...)

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus

I don't really know if much of any of this discussion is actually "useful", but I was just answering a question.

Talk about not useful, you are the one bringing up "Surface". :p;)

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
iChat Theatre & Quicklook Potential...

I wrote previously about iChat and Quick look. I think it's going to be one of those features that it 3rd parties really pick up on it will really change a lot of things...

Collaborating and presenting work / ideas / etc with others just became a whole new big deal... When other's start to implement Quicklook with their documents it will get even better - I can already imagine having an open document in Photoshop and hitting a Quicklook button to 'show' it to a client via iChat - they want to see a change? I jump back to Ps, make the change, hit Ql button - and boom... you get the idea...

macfan70

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
Mac OS 11 - A new species

Seeing as there are actually a very limited number of FELIDAE left:

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

I think the new set will have to be birds:

Mac OS 11.0 ( Archaeopteryx ) - Start really far back to allow room to grow.:)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I can't wait to try it out!

I'm not going to get it on the first day - because I just want to make sure that it installs properly and is pretty smooth - i.e. just want to avoid something of the same caliber of iPod touch screen problem. I'll buy it on day 2, lol.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Plenty of time because you/we are anxious. But I don't think its plenty of time - they are scrapping features that would be pretty impressive and compelling if they could be completed. I personally would, as anxious as I am to have the new OS, rather hold onto rock-solid Tiger and give Apple a few more months to work them out, instead of cutting them.

Examples are Resolution Independence and Fast-User Switching for Bootcamp. If these big things, which are being orphaned in order to iron out the kinks in the rest of the OS, are to be forgotten until a future OS X release, I would rather be patient for a few more months than lose the features for the next few years.

true.... but cant i have my cake and eat it too?
(ive never understood that saying... it makes no sense)

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I just looked over the gallery and really dislike the UI. It seems chopped together. The dark grey and buttons that are not very deep do not flow with the shiny, thicker aqua buttons and scroll bars. It's like they are leaving aqua behind but not completely, yet moving in a completely different direction. I don't get the roundish vibrant buttons with the flat grey buttons. Seems like a very bad OS X theme from a few years ago.

I don't expect many changes before the final, but I'm disappointed. I suppose going with the greyscale theme is the only real option.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
hmm... not really arsed how it looks (i banished the hideous brushed metal look with UNO yonks ago). all i want is to be able to view pdfs in a browser window, so i don't liter my desktop with millions of (scientific) papers.

it's got to the stage where i'll only read papers through parallels to avoid this...

I always read PDF's in the browser window with safari. I'm guessing you probably use Firefox

absolutazn87

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
San Francisco
two things

the scrollbars really need to be changed to the itunes scrollbars. the bright aqua style really doesn't match the rest of the leopard UI

also, is it just me or do the aqua buttons need to go too? they look really awkward next to all the other changes in the leopard UI and i really think that the buttons should go along with the scrollbars

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Compelling Reason(s) To Upgrade?

Through all of this, what is the compelling reason to upgrade to 10.5? :confused:

I'm one who is cursed with always wanting the latest and greatest but I'm not sure I see a real reason to upgrade (and go through upgrade hell). The time machine thing seems interesting but then I'm not one to delete stuff accidentally. And when I make changes to an important document I save it as a new document.

Anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.