Leopard, overpriced patch?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by luker, Apr 8, 2007.

1. luker macrumors newbie

G'day,

I'm a first time mac owner and the more I read about 10.5, the more I wonder why I should pay (as I understand it to be) $129 US dollars for this patch they call leopard?

I'm more inclined to install ubuntu on this.. but what does it mean for dual booting if I don't have the official bootcamp.. which conveniantly comes with leopard? -_-

2. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

You can always run Parallels which runs on 10.4. This would allow you to run Windows and OS X at the same time without upgrading if that is something you want.

As for Leopard being merely a "patch", that might be a bit of a big stand to take for an admitted newcomer (some would even call it trolling). You will find lots of debate on this forum and others about the relative cost-benefit advantages of the various incremental OS upgrades that are released from time to time, but most won't go as far as to call them patches, which are released regularly by Apple, just like Microsoft for free.

But that's just my 2 cents.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

10.5 is a significant version upgrade to the MacOS, far more then the last couple. It is definitely NOT just a "patch". What have you read that makes you think that it's less than a major update?

Boot Camp beta will dry up & disappear this summer/fall, period. Supported Boot Camp will be an integral component of Leopard.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well hopefully those "secret features" will be worth the price!

Still its hardly a "patch"...especially since Mac OS X with .. .8 or .9 is often more staple then ones with .0 or .1.

Not to mention the other new features

5. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

I just don't feel there's $129 US (Am I right about that price I can't remember where I read it) worth of changes in it. I would pay that much for OS11; but spaces and bootcamp seem to be the only changes that interest/affect me.

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Seeing as it's not out yet, and not all the new features have been revealed.. it's kinda dumb to call it a patch.

Then again, I shouldn't even be responding to trolls, should I.

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It has a nice list of very major features and an even longer list of welcome small improvements that add up to a better experience.

If none of that long list of features appeals enough to YOU, then of course you wouldn't buy it :) There's no shame in upgrading to every-other version or keeping Tiger forever, or whatever fits your needs and budgets.

If you did buy, buy from Amazon and get it for under $100.

(To call it a patch does sound very much like trolling, since it implies that you expect NOBODY wants the new features, and are not just speaking about your own needs.)

8. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

That is a funny statement seeing as how none of us regular ole' Mac users know exactly what is in it. We have read about some of the features but not all of them. Bottom line if you feel something is overpriced the great part about the system is you don't have to buy it.

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

10. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if I offended everyone when I expressed my opinion, if I state that it's my opinion will you not declare me a troll?

In my opinion whatever small fixes and upgrades it includes are worthy of a patch, and the "notable" upgrades and neat features it includes are admittedly a bit of a stretch to include in a patch, but maybe some sought of... $30 upgrade pack?[/inmyopinion]

I would stick with Tiger but soon enough software will require 10.5.x and I'll be forced to spend quite a large amount of money for a reason that hardly justifies the cost.[/inmyopinion]

I would "keep quiet" about it if this .. what do I call it aside from patch .. upgrade? if this upgrade didn't contain bootcamp. I might consider doing a full install of ubuntu on this macbook, though I have enjoyed the mac os and would like to leave it with its hardware.

I'm not trying to start a fire, I would just like to know why I should pay so much for what benefits me so little. Or advice on how to live without it. (ie. optional bootcamps if they exist; yes yes I am googling for it)

11. oober_freak macrumors regular

If you do not think that Leopard will be worth your money, then you can choose not to buy it. I mean a lot of people are still using Panther.

12. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

No offense taken. You are welcome to your opinion but expect others to share their opinion on yours. :D

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Leopard includes not only the few new features shown to the public but a massive update to the underlying code incorporating many new technologies that allow for faster, better and more interesting software to run within OSX.

You're only scratching the surface luker, if you sign up for a free online Apple Developer Connection membership you have access to a number of very informative videos and slides detailing many of the more technical underlying new features of Leopard.

Trust me, this is more than just some "patch."

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If bootcamp and spaces are the only things that you care about, then I think that apple has said that you can buy bootcamp for tiger, so you could stick with tiger, but you wouldn't have spaces.

15. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Ok. People. He's(she?) not trolling, just expressing his or her opinion on the information that they own.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There's more to Leopard than BootCamp and an interface update. It includes some new features like Spaces, Time Machine, and a very nice new version of iChat. And that's just the stuff we know about. Check Apple's OS X page for some videos on it. If you don't like it after it comes out, no, you don't have to buy it. For some of us it will be worth it. If it isn't for you, you can continue to dual boot with Tiger and Windows, or run Linux or whatever.

A newbie calling something they apparently don't know much about overpriced does kinda come off as trolling though. ;)

17. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

What software do you expect will require Leopard, yet also has a version you could use with Ubuntu?

Very little software will require Leopard--and you can keep using your Tiger versions of the ones that eventually do.

BTW, if you don't like Apple's upgrade pricing, you REALLY won't like Microsoft's :)

18. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll do that.

That would be great if it doesn't cost half as much as leopard.:rolleyes:

:>

I guess I'm just comparing it to linux(which I've been using for a few years) when I call it overpriced. I had heard good things about macs and the intel factor did it for me. I love the mac os and noone likes an out of date computer, it just hit me kind of hard what I'd be paying for the privelage with a mac to go from 10.4.9 to 10.5.x.

I got vista premium on my desktop. :(

19. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

If you don't want it, don't get it !!

Leopard is a major event ..... hardly a "patch" :eek:

FJ

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Compared to Linux, it's a lot. Compared to Windows, it's not that much. Don't think of it as a point upgrade though, think of it as a whole new version (going from version 4 to 5) with over a hundred new features and upgrades. Some of which you'll see in real world use, some of which you won't even notice as behind the scenes, like Core Animation. It will definitely be worth it.

Go read up on it some more, and wait to see what the new stuff is though. I've been playing with the dev version, and it's ok, but the Finder still hasn't been updated. Tells us that there's a new one coming. I'm expecting good things, and would be more than happy to pay the $100 if I wasn't already getting it for free from the dev site. :)

21. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Treue--the point issue is misleading: people think 10.4 to 10.5 is minor because of the decimal point. But actually, the decimal point just allows Apple to keep using the "OS X" brand for longer.

So really, 10.1 was Mac OS 11, 10.4 was Mac OS 14, and Leopard is Mac OS 15.

Compared to free open source, anything's expensive--but sometimes you get what you pay for, and Ubuntu just can't compare to Leopard in terms of power and ease of use.

22. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

The only thing that makes me unhappy about leopard is that I didn't pay for an ADC Select membership back in october and that it's not out yet. :D

23. PatrickF macrumors 6502

So many people mis-understand what BootCamp actually does. The only thing that the BootCamp application does is:

1. Partition your harddrive without loosing your existing data
    2. Burn a CD with drivers for Windows
    Once you've partitioned your drive there's absolutely no need for BootCamp anymore (unless you want to undo that partition without loosing your OS X data).

You don't need the driver CD for a start if you're going to install Linux on there. So you have two options here.

1. Use BootCamp to partition your drive, install Linux and don't worry about BootCamp expiring (you won't be using it anymore)
    2. Pop in your OS X installation DVD and use Disk Utility to repartition your drive yourself, then re-install OS X. After that you can install Linux in the other partition you created yourself.

24. frerin macrumors newbie

If the concern goes to a fully working Boot manager, there always also is the chance to use:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Beside Bootcamp, you would get a new Finder ( I suppose ) and better Core animated Graphics. There are many rumours out there, some are interesting, some are funny, all of them sound like a update Apple did not see for a long time and Microsoft never will get working ...

25. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Technical speaking a patch is a correction on existing code, in this sense Tiger is finished/completed as an OS. Leopard should be called a new release with an enhanced future set.

Realise a few hundred people have been working for two years on this new release, and you call it a patch, may be your opinion, but it sounds ridiculous.

Leopard, will be a great update:
    GUI independent interface, core-animations, bootcamp, ZFS filsystem, spaces, time-machine, Safari 3.0, Mail, iChat, Spotlight+ etc, etc, this is a major overhaul of the os. As an bonus we will again have a performance improvement. Compare this with Vista..