Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
It sounds like OS X peaked at Tiger.

Tiger works for me. In fact, I probably wouldn't have upgraded my G4 PB from 10.2 (whatever that was called) to Tiger if I didn't have to (some software I was using required it).

Now that I'm on a MBP Tiger works well with what I'm using - mostly Aperture, Photoshop, iMovie HD and Final Cut Express - in addition to all the other usual stuff.

To me it sounds like the biggest feature is time machine. I don't really care about time machine as I have my own (manual) backup process - which I do on a regular basis.

Are there any real improvements to Leopard over Tiger? And are they worth spending the $100 for?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Are there any real improvements to Leopard over Tiger? And are they worth spending the $100 for?

For me, its the little things; Web Clips are nice, the search Help is cool (especially for History in Safari), rounded menus look better, a Download stack is convenient, network shares are more reliable. Its convenient that the Airport menubar item shows which networks are locked, and Wikipedia in Dictionary is cool. Mail now has a progress bar, and Preview has simple editing features.

However, the best feature of Leopard by far is Quick Look, its saved me so much time

roamy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
So I finally found out why I am so mad. In Leopard apple killed support for Java 1.3. This in turn killed the Java bridge and all of the Webobjects tools and templates. I think this was a poor choice for apple after the program has been around for some 10 years. they have forced us to open source programs with don't have the same features. We will have to see what "Snow Leopard" brings which should be a fix to all of the problems in Leopard. I hear we will have a Webobjects 6 release at some point and perhaps apple will bring back the tools. I also hear they will kill PPC in the next release which I suppose is ok although I plan on buying a new macbook pro i guess this will give me some incentive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.