lepoard delay...go to vista?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by furcalchick, May 31, 2007.

?

Should the Leopard delay cause a 4-yr Vista use?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Don't Know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

this isn't for me, but for a friend of mine.

he was looking to get a macbook for college, but after he found out that 10.5 was getting pushed back to october, he declared that apple failed him and that he was going to get a vista notebook instead (he said no xp since he claims it's going to be unsupported by 2011). i tell him that he shouldn't let a delay of a few months cause him to make potentially a major mistake and be stuck potentially with a bad os for four years (i'm assuming vista won't be fixed too much). i'm not trying to be bias, but based on many reviews, vista looks to be really bad for notebooks, but i'm not 100% sure. but here's the question.

should a 10.5 delay cause a switch to vista for four years?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10.4 is better than Vista

Besides, your friend is a student, so he can probably get Leopard for like 10 bucks in the college bookstore when it comes out. And if not, it's only like 60 bucks via edu discount.

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Definitely not worth it. Many reviews of Vista is that it is horrible - I would never run it on my PC - I'll be sticking with XP thank you very much. And when I buy my new MBP once they're updated in the next couple of weeks I'll be loading XP on it, not Vista.

5. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Tell your friend to buy the MacBook. The newest OS is not always best.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, Tiger is still better than Vista. He should just buy one now.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Is your friend crazy? :D And what about the 6 year wait for Vista? Is that when he switched to Mac? :rolleyes: I'm kidding, but seriously, that's an extremely silly reason, unless he's just looking for excuses for switching to Vista (it's not worth it! Better to use XP... but Tiger kicks both of their arses).

8. ccrandall77 macrumors regular

Apple failed him?? Puh-leezze! ;)

I agree with most others, Tiger is superior to Vista... I run Vista in Parallels and I don't see anything in Vista that isn't already in Tiger, and Tiger does most things better, IMO.

If Leopard is coming out in October, I'm willing to bet that anything purchased after July will come with a free upgrade.

9. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

apparently, he also complains of the macbooks setup unable to record from wired mic and a guitar. anyway to fix that? and he says he can record with vista software okay (i think).

and the one he found was a bit cheaper, it's a HP DV2500T. is it worth going to vista for?

and btw, he is a pc user currently using xp, not a mac user, so he would be switching.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Doesn't that only require an audio-in port?

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

he says he needs a mic-in jack.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

OK... well it has one. And for that matter, he'll probably be interested in GarageBand, which is excellent guitar-recording (among other things) software that comes with every Mac. It even features multi-track recording with an applicable adapter so like, him and his buddies can all play together and record to separate tracks.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

the macbook has a line-in, which is the same thing

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Isn't that the actual name of what it is? Mic-in presumes that only microphones go in there.

15. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

So are you just going to keep this story going for every possible complaint he may have? Get the whole bloody list out, or accept the suggestions people have provided. This should be a 10 post thread. Do not make it a hundred post one.

17. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

is he spoilt, does he always throw his dummy out of the pram if he doesnt get what he wants, AND NOW !

18. Igantius macrumors 65816

Rather ironic considering how delayed Vista (3 years?) was.

19. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

Your friend can't go with both? I thought that was one of the bigger advantages to getting a mac. Does boot camp fully support vista yet or is it still in beta? I've seen several macbooks that have both OS X and vista on them.

20. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

For all the money he will have to pay out for virus protection and spyware crap etc on a PC he may as well stump for Leopard when it comes out.

21. reflex macrumors 6502a

Assuming he's talking about an XLR plug, no laptop will have that. Just get an external box (the M-Audio MobilePre is quite nice) and plug that into a usb port.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Tell him there will be a properly working version of Leopard available long before a properly working version of Vista. So far, everyone I know who installed Vista went back to XP.

23. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yep — Tiger works out-of-the-box while Vista doesn't.

24. asxtb macrumors 6502

It's unanimous! 42 nos! 0 yeses :D

Edit: 44, 45, 46 nos...

25. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Refuse to ever speak to him again because he is no longer cool enough to be your friend. And if he has a girlfriend, steal her away from him by flashing your Mac at her and telling her how it is smooth and shiny and has a large screen. :p