Less excitement with the ability to preorder?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duffer6, Mar 8, 2012.

?

Less excitement with preordering???? Would you rather

1. Wait at home for your shinny new Ipad

51 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. Wait in line at the Apple store enjoying the launch day frenzy

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Apple store pickup of a preordered (guaranteed) iPad 3, and still enjoying the launch frenzy

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I throughly enjoyed waiting in line for the launch of the IPad 2. If feels odd that the need to wait in line for the new IPad is not needed. If you want an iPad it can be had on launch day with a simple preorder. Sick as it may be I miss the launch frenzy.

don't get me wrong I am impressed with Apple and the abundance of inventory I just miss the palpable excitement of waiting for it in lne with all the other fans.

I do know I can still wait in line on launch day which is not needed now and I am not sure how to feel about it.

2. M87 macrumors 65816

I don't.

3. scarred macrumors 6502a

Look at it differently.... I find ordering online to be much more exciting. =)

First, you get to make the actual purchase. That's always fun. Then, you get to track your order. Finally, you'll get a package delivered to your house. The anticipation is neat.

I personally find waiting in line to be a negative experience. It makes me question whether this is something I truly want or if I got caught up in the hype of it all...

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have mine being sent straight to the FedEx near my house so I don't miss the delivery while I'm at work. Te excitement will be watching the delivery from China ;-)

5. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I'm glad you enjoy the experience. I did it once for the ipad 2 and if I never do it again it'll be too soon. I love the opportunity to sit in my nice comfy recliner and watch Netflix while FedEx brings me my new shiny.

6. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear you about not wanting to stand in line. I guess it depends on your location as well as how the store handles the experience. I wonder if BB, Target, et al will be locked out of first day inventory since the Apple online store still has inventory available.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not so fast. At some point in the next day or days Apple will announce that it's no longer taking preorders for launch day delivery. A new round of hype and urgency will set in by those who delayed. There will be lines. Guaranteed.

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

More excitement since I know I'll be getting one on launch day. I can't take time off from work to stand in line just for the chance to buy the model I want and hope they have it in stock.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I stood in line for a store opening, that was enough for me. I just cannot see myself bothering with lines and what not on launch day. Though my iPhone got to me well after UPS said it would and even after they marked it for delivery the following Monday when the clock struck 5 pm, I'm plenty happy with the idea that it will come to me instead of me having to go to it.

Besides, I'll do just about anything to avoid a mall.

10. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

All good points. I think the stores are going to be allotted a huge inventory as well so I believe it is doubtful that Apple stores will have to turn away unhappy customers like they did with lack of inventory during the iPad 2 launch. I am betting that BB, Target etc. are going to get next to nothing on inventory.

Well let the waiting begin and I do agree it is a good feeling of satisfaction come hell or high water my iPad 3 is on its way. I hope everyone gets as lucky.

Let the unboxing begin.....

11. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I'm much happier with pre-ordering. Just like with the iPhone 4s I'd rather it come to me on launch day than me standing in line or waiting several weeks. I prefer as little hassle as possible.

12. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Pre-ordering all the way for me. Although I have to say, standing in line for the iPad 2 wasn't too bad an experience. After seeing a long line at 9 in the morning at the Apple Store (the sales started at 5 PM), I said screw that and decided to try a different tactic. I went to an out of the way Best Buy at 4 PM, one hour from the launch.

There were only five people in line when I got there. Even when the launch started at 5 PM, there were still only about 30 people in line. They were very organized and started a half an hour early to make sure everyone got what they wanted. They also have a ton of stock, 200+ iPad 2s.

However, I am not going to take my chances this time that it will be that easy for the iPad 3. So, I did pre-order with no problems for the 16th.

13. jacktorrance macrumors regular

It's all about location for me.

Last year I waited in line to get it on day one in Newcastle, UK. You could argue that demand, relatively speaking, is lower here so I had a better chance of getting one.

This year I'm in London and I know that the demand here - plus the presence of several crazies - might mean that I don't get one unless I queue overnight. Not willing to do that. So I've ordered and managed to get the March 16th delivery - UK delivery estimates have now slipped to 'after March 18th' - I read someone had received an estimate of March 30th.

14. duffer6, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am just amazed all but the white AT&T iPads are still available for preorder to be delivered on launch day. Kudos to Apple for their preplanning on this launch.

15. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I would be in line for ipad3 this year if I weren't going to be out of town.. Had to pre-order this time. Seems like there's plenty of stock this time... Or is it less sales? Surprised iPad3 didn't sell out online yet.

16. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I Bet this will end selling the iPad's through scalpers on ebay, craigslist, etc. I remember standing in line at the Natick Apple Store surrounded by folks who were buying as many iPhone 4s as they could with Apple cards at full price who obviously were not there to acquire a phone for themselves.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

I didn't. The iPad is a personal device so why do I need to share the "experience" of obtaining one with a bunch of strangers? So the fact that this year I can actually have a normal day and not be herded little cattle, worry about availability, deal with resellers or be subjected to 1 per customer rules is a HUGE worry off my shoulders. And, to me, that is what makes a good "Apple Store Experience".

You have to remember that the reason people love waiting in launch lines is because you were waiting with similarly intelligent and enthusiastic customers like you. But with preorders from day one then that means almost everyone in line is either a reseller (they need to pay in cash), clueless (they didn't know to preorder) or very very lonely.

18. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I'll work from home that day and wait for my new toy (which I received a shipment notification this morning). Then after it arrives go check out the local Apple store and take some photos of the frenzy. Hmmmm should I take the photos with my iPhone or my new iPad.

19. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would leave the iPad at home. If there is any chance of a shortage you never know what someone will do to get an iPad. Remember they guy who lost a finger after someone stole his iPad 1 during the launch by ripping the bag from his hand and his finger was caught as the bag was ripped. Sad but true.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

wait in line. get nothing. wait for weeks or longer for ipad 2 to be restocked. yay! lots of fun :(

this year, click on pre-order, excited to actually get the device. no lack of excitement here :)

21. duffer6, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

agreed! But what if you had one waiting for you guaranteed.
    ----------

22. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

That's exactly what happened to me last year.

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I do not have any desire to get involved in that frenzy. I had to go to Apple during the iPhone 4 launch, not to get a phone, which was delivered to my house, but for a problem with my MacBook Pro. 20 minutes in that crowd and I was ready to hurt people. ;)

24. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Waiting for 4 hours with a browser on auto refresh was bad enough.

Plus the people who line up for Apple products now are generally giant douche's. Its not like it used to be.

25. Nightprowler macrumors regular