Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Are any of those GPUs a successor to the 9400m? Meaning, are any of them integrated GPUs?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Bump. Anyone know? People keep saying this should piss off 13" uMBP owners, but I don't think any of these cards would fit inside the system. I would, however, be pissed if any of these cards were an integrated solution. As far as I can tell though, the 9400m still has no true successor.

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
i dont think apple will use ati graphics wit a nvidia mobo. I was really surprised they didnt upgrade the graphics, this time.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The 210M seems to be the direct upgrade to the 9400m as they are both 14W, so 54 vs 72 gigaflops, that seems like a pretty nice upgrade.
Sure I really wish my 13in MBP had a better card like this 210m, there was no way I was waiting any longer to pick up a laptop, it's college season and I needed one. Apple updated them and has a killer back to school sale, can't pass that up.
I'll just have to live with my laptop for a couple years, oh well.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
The 210M seems to be the direct upgrade to the 9400m as they are both 14W, so 54 vs 72 gigaflops, that seems like a pretty nice upgrade.
Sure I really wish my 13in MBP had a better card like this 210m, there was no way I was waiting any longer to pick up a laptop, it's college season and I needed one. Apple updated them and has a killer back to school sale, can't pass that up.
I'll just have to live with my laptop for a couple years, oh well.

Looks to me like the G105M, the G110M, and the G210M are all discrete cards.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Ok now I am mostly a console gamer so idk much about easy ways to compare 3D cards but both the G105m and G110m have fewer gigaflops then the 9400m only the G210m can do more gigaflops.
Am I pretty safe in assuming gigaflops=speed or is this another ghz/contrast ratio thing?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
G = integrated
GT = discrete

G210M is going to be the IGP.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I can't find anything that says the G210M is integrated, unless you mean that it will be modded in the future to be an integrated chip. It has its own VRAM, and the articles I'm reading are calling it discrete.

Solid Raven

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Mmm more stream processors are good, but when are we going to see a 256bit memory interface? Is it not possible with today's mobile gpu technology or does it draw to much power?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Apple kept their last two graphics chips for 1.5 years and 1.2 years, respectively.

A GPU update won't happen until at LEAST Arrandale or later.

+1.

Unfortunately, Apple does not upgrade their GPU's often enough for notebooks IMO.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
And the gen after the next will have a better gpu. If all you do is wait for something better then youll never get anything.

It'll probably take Apple 2 years to use the new GPUs, by then my UMBP will be ready for an upgrade. I fine with this new machine.

Cheers,

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Yes, they want to get this old stuff out.

Maybe not, because technically everyone who bought new macbook pros last week are still within the 14 day return date. So if they REALLY wanted too, they could return it.

But I personally don't care for the nVidia news...im happy right now with what I have so im sticking.:D

Hmm...the general feeling I'm getting around the forum is that, people who missed out on the new uMBP or whom are not in the position to buy have some sort of sour taste in their mouths... nitpicking about minor things, researching on new technology not yet present in the macbook pros, justfying their umb by calling it "collectible"...etc

Jeez, some of you need to grow up...like we all know technology changes everyday...I'm sure at one point we all had the latest and greatest.#

I dont mean to offend, I just find it really funny...

philips

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Less than 1 week after Apple releases the new Macbook Pros, nVidia releases these...

That's why one of the reasons why I do not like nVidia's release strategy.

It happened to me twice: shortly after I had bought top of the line graphic card they were releasing higher-end model. Sometimes improvements are negligible, but it still leaves bad aftertaste. But sometimes, to add insult to injury, they announce new cool API to accelerate everything - available on all cards, expect the ones like you just purchased.

In that respect I prefer ATI who at least do not cripple with firmware their lower end cards and for many desktop tasks they run as fast as higher end cards. (E.g. in my experience ATI's video acceleration was always better than that of nVidia).

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
even if apple moves over to core-i7s, isn't Nvidia and Intel having some sort of legal scuffle about whether or not nvidia can supply chipsets to the i7 line?

Seeing how the macbook pros now use nvidia chipsets, I don't see these making it into a future portable line unless apple goes back to a seperate non gpu integrated chipset that the 9400m is now, or reverts back to some intel solution

unless, that is, intel and nvidia sort out their legal issues?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Less than 1 week after Apple releases the new Macbook Pros, nVidia releases these...

... snip ...

I assume the next gen Macbook Pros will be pretty awesome. Hopefully, they'll also have a SATA 3.0 Gbps interface. :p

Yes, well, its technology for you. Expect the next MacBooks to incorporate these bad boys or something much stronger by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.