Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacUser324

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Its about a week away from launching and I have not seen one advertisement about it. Strange...

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
maybe theyre leaving the initial launch to hype, and then let other people know about it when all the :apple: geeks have bought one

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
with the amount of mac vs pc ads, or macbook air ads, or itunes ads i see on tv you really would think there would be atleast ONE iPhone ad haha. I have a feeling it will start tomorrow though. Build up the hype more so. Thus far its been hyped on tv news networks, internet obviously.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
It's the iPhone. It doesn't need ads.

The first one was called the most anticipated release of the century. It makes its own news.
it makes its own news to :apple: geeks etc
general person on the street may not know... or at least thats the impression i get

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I expect them to push their TV ad campaign, heavy, when approaching the 2008 Holidays.

I don't think we'll see Apple push any iPhone 3G TV adverts until around the end of October, start of November.

R-Fly

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
It's the iPhone. It doesn't need ads.

The first one was called the most anticipated release of the century. It makes its own news.

that's ridiculous.
most ppl have no clue it's coming out and they wouldn't think much of it if they knew.

apple products need advertising like everything else.

I'd be willing to guess that most of the adds will be AT&T

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
You'd be surprised. I still meet plenty of people who've never even heard of the iphone.

It's big news to geeks. Beyond that, it needs advertising. Another phone launched? Non-geeks simply don't care. That's like asking me to care about who the release of a new mercedes.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Apple will do it fairly close to the release date. Remember they're releasing in a big number of countries, so it's a lot of leg work to synchronise the advertising campaigns. Apple usually primarily does ads of things that are available. Remember that the media hoopla hasn't really started, beyond the spike generated from the preview of some features at WWDC.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
You'd be surprised. I still meet plenty of people who've never even heard of the iphone.

It's big news to geeks. Beyond that, it needs advertising.

I wouldn't go that far...aside from my great grandmother who is in her 90's mostly everyone I come across knows what an iphone is.

Infact, I noticed last night that a picture of one flashed across a news intro screen followed by a flash of colors before the 10o'clock news. There was no tagline/pitch with it...because it wasn't needed.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
You likely won't see any commercials until the day of launch at the earliest. Why? Because you can't buy the phone yet. They want you to be able to see the ad and immediately go to the store to pick one up. They don't want to have to complicate the ad by having text on screen that says it's not available yet, but you'll be able to get it in a week.

The MacBook Air had commercials before it was released, but that was because you could go online and order it, even though it wasn't shipping yet. You can't "preorder" the iPhone 3G online at all like you could any other Apple product.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I think they should should show a 10 second ad that shows someone swiping in "iPhone 3G", then someone touch/expanding "Everywhere, July 11th" just like in the guided tour but on a sexy black background. Then they show the iPhone quickly and fade out.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I think they should should show a 10 second ad that shows someone swiping in "iPhone 3G", then someone touch/expanding "Everywhere, July 11th" just like in the guided tour but on a sexy black background. Then they show the iPhone quickly and fade out.

Oooo...you should be in marketing.

If your not already. :)

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
OR, they know everyone is focused on the 4th of July now and may not be watching much TV. Is there a big network TV broadcast of fireworks friday night? Maybe that would be a good time to start.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
good point...except. I'll be lounging out by the pool until it's my bedtime :p

So, even if they waited to debut it like that...it would be a waste on most people, especially those that plan to drive to a live fireworks show.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
No company would be stupid enough to run adverts before the product was released. The advertising campaign will start on July 11th worldwide most likely.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No company would be stupid enough to run adverts before the product was released. The advertising campaign will start on July 11th worldwide most likely.

Apple did for the original iPhone and all versions of OS X. All movie studios do. You might want to fix that generalization.

Oh, most PC manufacturers show off their new computers before they're released. As do some camera and television manufacturers. Need I go on?

yummyporky

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Most of the people don't know much about iPhones

it makes its own news to :apple: geeks etc
general person on the street may not know... or at least thats the impression i get

I agree, most of the people we interviewed have no idea that 3G iPhone is coming out let alone what 3G is, and the interview wasn't done in one of the wealthiest area in SF Bay Area

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
that's ridiculous.
most ppl have no clue it's coming out and they wouldn't think much of it if they knew.

apple products need advertising like everything else.

I'd be willing to guess that most of the adds will be AT&T

Apple will advertise, but they don't need to. The innovation and quality
stand so far above most of the garbage out there its just beyond amazing.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
The hype for the 3G isn't as great as it was for the original. Most people in this country knew when the original iPhone was coming out. I think it would be in apple's best interest to do a quick sleek commercial letting people know there is a new iteration coming out just as good as the original (eve better) at a better up front price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.