Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Apple did for the original iPhone and all versions of OS X. All movie studios do. You might want to fix that generalization.

Oh, most PC manufacturers show off their new computers before they're released. As do some camera and television manufacturers. Need I go on?

Although you're right in that his generalization is flawed, your logic is flawed as well. The original iPhone and all versions of OS X have been available for preorder online, so even though you couldn't get your hands on it, you could secure an order. This simply is not the case with the iPhone 3G. You have to go to a store to get it, and you can't do that until July 11. You can't secure an order yet, so they're not going to start advertising yet.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Although you're right in that his generalization is flawed, your logic is flawed as well. The original iPhone and all versions of OS X have been available for preorder online, so even though you couldn't get your hands on it, you could secure an order. This simply is not the case with the iPhone 3G. You have to go to a store to get it, and you can't do that until July 11. You can't secure an order yet, so they're not going to start advertising yet.

You need to get your stuff straight as well. When your dealing with contracts, carriers, and mobile data, giving potential customers time to get things in order is a wise decision. I know personally I have to get a few things taken care of and shut off with Verizon before I switch. If I wasn't an aware apple customer and didn't know it was coming out, I would not be able to get one til a week or so after when I had it all straightened out. Apple wants lines, they want hype and a simple commercial would help create that.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
You need to get your stuff straight as well. When your dealing with contracts, carriers, and mobile data, giving potential customers time to get things in order is a wise decision. I know personally I have to get a few things taken care of and shut off with Verizon before I switch. If I wasn't an aware apple customer and didn't know it was coming out, I would not be able to get one til a week or so after when I had it all straightened out. Apple wants lines, they want hype and a simple commercial would help create that.

Apple doesn't care about if we have our contracts with other carriers in order. If they did, they would have offered incentives for coming over to AT&T, such as paying our ETFs, or at least giving us a credit on our statement equal to the cost we'd incur by switching carriers. Do they want lines? Sure... but they know just as well as we do that the only people that will get in those long lines are the fanboys that will already know about it because of forums and other online means. The every day consumer is not going to line up to get a new phone. They'll find out about it when it's available and go grab one when they get a chance.
The fact still remains that they do not want to advertise it until you can actually purchase it in some form or another. This is proven by the fact that we still aren't seeing ads. Until we see ads, you can't dispute what I'm saying, as it makes sense.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Before the UK release the ads started around a week before nov 9.
I expect to see some this weekend. The ad that's on apple.com and youtube will be everywhere very soon.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Can you secure Snow Leopard yet? Can you pre-order Windows Se7en? I don't remember, but was Apple taking orders for the iPhone in January? Can you buy tickets when you see a teaser for a movie?

I was just saying that he was wrong in general. I gave examples, but there are plenty of other instances in which something is advertised before it can be ordered.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Can you secure Snow Leopard yet? Can you pre-order Windows Se7en? I don't remember, but was Apple taking orders for the iPhone in January? Can you buy tickets when you see a teaser for a movie?

I was just saying that he was wrong in general. I gave examples, but there are plenty of other instances in which something is advertised before it can be ordered.

His point was that Apple wouldn't be "stupid enough" to advertise something that's not yet available. You pointed out that this was a generalization since he said "no company" instead of "Apple" and you gave reasons why his generalization was flawed.
My comment was regarding Apple specifically. When do you ever hear them run TV ads for an item that you can't either pick up immediately or at least place an order for? Snow Leopard is not being advertised to the public- only developers... so again, this is not a valid point in regards to that argument.

I agreed with you that his generalization was a bad one- I just felt it needed pointing out that we're talking about Apple here, not all companies.

edit: oh and yes, Apple was taking preorders for the iPhone as soon as the store went back online after the keynote. I remember it very well, as we were all discussing the keynote at work as we watched the live text feeds and 3 people did go on and place orders, although 1 person canceled it after a couple days

J2d3

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Dont they have a commerical ready?

The one that showed at WWDC with Robert Downey Jr's voice.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
I think we will see some ads starting 5 days before the release. Not like the last iphone when they started showing ads months ahead of the release.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
I agree that this weekend/early next week would be the most likely times for the ads to begin. I suppose some ads sprinkled on the Macy's fireworks show couldn't hurt...

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I went to a cubs (yuck) game a wrigley field and the girl sitting next to me asked me if I was getting the "new one" when I pulled out my iPhone... I don't think she was a fangirl or anything...

Blaunerts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Miami
news

The iPhone will make its own news and free ad's right before the release and during. Because there will be PLENTY of news crews covering the story and talking about the phone.

Apple is smart.

Let them do them the ad's after the huge hype!
Plus, if the public doesn't know thats better for us because that means SHORTER lines :D

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
What I'm thinking is around Tuesday or Wednesday is when we will see the first iPhone 3G ads and at the end it will say "Available Friday" that way to those who don't follow it as close as we do will be like "wow I didn't know a new one was coming out.. we gotta go play with one" Also the news organizations will start covering the lines outside the stores.. also stock watchers (like bloomberg) will be reporting it on local news stations.. The hype will be sudden perhaps to make the iPhone an impulse buy..

Anyone agree?

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
July 5th and still no ads.

WTF? I thought we would see some ads now, I havnt seen anything. Has anyone else caught Iphone 3G ads?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Seeing as the time they'll start being played is not that much (i.e Sunday, Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) - why not add a poll? :)

drakeshipway

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Oakville, Ontario
What I'm thinking is around Tuesday or Wednesday is when we will see the first iPhone 3G ads and at the end it will say "Available Friday" that way to those who don't follow it as close as we do will be like "wow I didn't know a new one was coming out.. we gotta go play with one" Also the news organizations will start covering the lines outside the stores.. also stock watchers (like bloomberg) will be reporting it on local news stations.. The hype will be sudden perhaps to make the iPhone an impulse buy..

Anyone agree?

I agree, also they could be waiting for more local information (coming tomorrow, if i am correct?) And also news stations here in Canada are starting to cover the iPhone 3G on monday. So it makes it sort of the "iPhone week" if you may. ;)

pce :apple:

kdarling

macrumors P6
I can just see the 3G ads now...

"Hi, I'm a first officer on Nitwit Airlines, and we got lost taxiing around the airport the other day. So I whipped out my iPhone with GPS and high speed data, and got turn by turn instructions to come back to the terminal via the airport road. Then I called ground control and they agreed with me as to where I was. Thank goodness for my iPhone."

I don't think there was a pilot in the country who didn't cringe at the last ad with the weather thing. Woof.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Maybe Apple is trying to figure out how to trump the Instinct? Those comparison sure is embarrassing for iPhone users whenever its shown.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I can just see the 3G ads now...

"Hi, I'm a first officer on Nitwit Airlines, and we got lost taxiing around the airport the other day. So I whipped out my iPhone with GPS and high speed data, and got turn by turn instructions to come back to the terminal via the airport road. Then I called ground control and they agreed with me as to where I was. Thank goodness for my iPhone."

I don't think there was a pilot in the country who didn't cringe at the last ad with the weather thing. Woof.

Did you hear about a nitwit passenger who actually tried that on with a pilot? The pilot gave him a severe dressing down. I'd imagine someone will have the weblink to the story.
Here's to hoping there'll be at least some decent i'm a Mac, i'm a PC ads off the back of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.