Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Call them (Apple support) and calmly explain your situation. Carrier reps are useless & clueless. Apple Care reps are perfectly a le to waive the fee in lieu of your geography. They did it for me no less than 2 weeks ago. Be calm, firm, and polite. Also, take a breath.

jedi74

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
i also had this problem. i would suggest NEVER buying an iPhone from at&t and that its worth the wait to have apple get them in stock.

i ended up returning my phone to at&t and they were real jerks about it. then i got lucky and finally got an iPhone 5 at the apple store in syracuse.

i have also heard horror stories about buying the iPhone 5 at radio shack.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It makes absolutely no difference whom one buys their iPhone from; all iPhones are covered by AppleCare for 30 days/1year. Deal with Apple. Period.

ldominguez1986

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
Philadelphia
If you have insurance through them?
Not sure but usually manufacturers need to receive the defective item first in order to replace it. You either wait a week or so or pay the $29 fee.
It's not the end of the world.

Yeah, you have to have insurance. That is one if the things I missed the most. My wife had problems with her Epic 4g on Sprint and took me 4 trips to the store and a better part of a month for them to replace. And I also have insurance on my wifes phone too. Tmobile wouldn't even second guess you and send the phone right away would have it within 2 days and then you would send the messed up one back. It was nice

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Dam i feel bad for some certain people, I have a Apple store that is literally under 5 minutes away from me... In your case i would keep complaining and keep complaining until you get a new one

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

ToyotaGuy23

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
I understand that you're trying to be helpful, but that article is a year old and the thread starter has a brand new iPhone. If its not functioning correctly, it needs to be repaired or replaced.

You're right, the information must have expired by now. Man, this worked for me last week.

Clearly, the best option is to either:

a) Drive a thousand miles to the closest Apple store.
b) Lie to AT&T for a refund
c) Forget it, and get a Droid Incredible Super Duper Hocus Pocus Max X

Or, we could try a few buttons. It was just a thought.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Those options are a HELL of a lot better than if you had purchased a device by ANY other manufacture and received a defect.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I just paid $500 for an iPhone 5.. Have a defective home button that doesn't work 75% of the time.. AT&T says I can't return it, they don't take back defective iPhones, I have to call Apple. There are no Apple stores close to me or I would have went straight to them. Now unless I want to be without a phone for a week, I must pay $29 to have Apple send me a replacement iPhone 5. Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't make sense? Where do they get off making me pay $29 to get a phone replaced when it is only 2 weeks old? Why can't I return it at AT&T? What the hell is the point of having 30 days to return if they aren't gonna let me?

I'm thinking about canceling the replacement, going into the AT&T store and pretending everything is A-OK with the phone and it just isn't for me, getting my money back, and going back to a 4S or a Galaxy S3. Ridiculous.

This is a venting thread, but I am legitimately wondering if I am alone in thinking that's ridiculous?

You got it straight.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
so because you got an iphone 5 with a defective home button you are going to switch to an inferior product? Nothing wrong with this logic. And because AT&T doesn't want to restock a defective phone they are in the wrong? 30 days to return is only if you don't like it, you should have tried it at the store.

I would just return it, get my money back an buy another iPhone.

michaelmac3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
You may commute that for work, fantastic.. that's how you're surviving. There is no way in hell I would drive there just for a phone. If I was going to watch the Cardinals game, hell yeah. But unfortunately I have no tickets and will be watching it elsewhere.

To those of you who actually input something worthwhile, thanks. To the other pompous asses on this forum, please find a life outside of the internet because your communication and people skills are seriously lacking. It's no wonder you troll forums in your spare time.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
ATT policy not the best. Pay the $29 get the phone , call ATT customer service and most likely they will credit you $29. Buying from Apple is always safer, quicker and less of a hassle. Lets be real, Apple has the best customer service in town.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
If you have insurance through them?
Not sure but usually manufacturers need to receive the defective item first in order to replace it. You either wait a week or so or pay the $29 fee.
It's not the end of the world.

Admittedly this was with an (oringal, old) Razer, but when mine died during the warranty period (not within the return window) ATT shipped the new one to there store after a store rep agreed mine was FUBAR and I went in and swapped it for the working one.

Seems odd they won't do something like this for you.

michaelmac3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Yes Apple's customer service is fantastic - the thought just didn't sit well with me that my 2 week old phone I bought from AT&T can't be dealt with by AT&T. I guess I learned my lesson and will probably be ordering online from Apple next time, and waiting a month or two for the kinks to be worked out. Just had to be an early adopter ha.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I feel lucky, I have about 8 Apple stores within about a 30-35 mile radius of me :)

2 within a 10 mile radius

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Return it!! Act like its ok...then just get it from apple my friend....I went today because my wifi would just not connect...they didnt even have replacements so I just returned it and im gonna try my luck tonight again. No biggie

Isn't there a restocking fee? And then an activation fee when you get the new one?

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I would try again by calling AT&T and explaining your situation. Be nice to them and you may be able to get the $29 fee waived. They get a lot of people calling in complaining so maybe if someone who is nice calls in you can get a lot further.

Also, you may be past your window of returning since someone said it moved to 14 days and not 30 anymore so if you are set on returning it you may need to do it now.

I don't think I would immediately switch to another phone because you are mad at AT&T charging $29 (or Apple, I didn't follow which one) because that has nothing to do with the phone. I'd also try calling Apple directly and explaining your situation as well. Just be nice and try calling all places. Also, make sure to mention your location vs the nearest Apple store location.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You're right, the information must have expired by now. Man, this worked for me last week.

Clearly, the best option is to either:

a) Drive a thousand miles to the closest Apple store.
b) Lie to AT&T for a refund
c) Forget it, and get a Droid Incredible Super Duper Hocus Pocus Max X

Or, we could try a few buttons. It was just a thought.

I was being polite.

The point I was making and that I made in my earlier reply was that your solution shouldn't be necessary with such a brand new piece of expensive technology. There's a better solution: mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.