Let's be honest, the iPad 3 was FLAWED from the start and we all know it

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
The iPad 3 was a flawed device form the start, why else did Apple discontinue the device and is STILL selling the iPad 2?!?

the increases the GPU to be able to run the retina screen but still had the same CPU, huh? Results: a slightly more sluggish experience then the iPad 2 which is noted in every professional review and benchmarks have the iPad 2 beating the iPad 3 because Apple didn't upgrade the CPU along with the GPU

now here we are with the iPad 4, and the CPU boots has FINALLY arrived along with the GPU boost, and we get the FaceTime camera upgrade that SHOULD have come out with the iPad 3

the fact it's getting discontinued shows that Apple knew it was a flawed machine, so I am personally happy they quickly got out the new iPad 4

PS: I already sold my iPad 3 32GB for $540, so if you want to sell your, do it now

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The iPad 3 was a flawed device form the start, why else did Apple discontinue the device and is STILL selling the iPad 2?!?

the increases the GPU to be able to run the retina screen but still had the same CPU, huh? Results: a slightly more sluggish experience then the iPad 2 which is noted in every professional review and benchmarks have the iPad 2 beating the iPad 3 because Apple didn't upgrade the CPU along with the GPU

now here we are with the iPad 4, and the CPU boots has FINALLY arrived along with the GPU boost, and we get the FaceTime camera upgrade that SHOULD have come out with the iPad 3

the fact it's getting discontinued shows that Apple knew it was a flawed machine, so I am personally happy they quickly got out the new iPad 4
Interesting. I never thought of it that way. I don't remember Tim Cook mentioning its flaws :)

Seriously, though, any upgrades to the product line are welcomed. Good on Apple for continuing to move forward with things. I'll hold onto my iPad 3 and continue enjoying it this round. Maybe next year I'll think about upgrading.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I think what has most people upset is that the technology jump between the 2 and the 3 isn't as great as between the 3 and the 4. So many iPad 3 owners don't feel they got as much value as they originally thought they did when they bought the iPad 3.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I think what has most people upset is that the technology jump between the 2 and the 3 isn't as great as between the 3 and the 4. So many iPad 3 owners don't feel they got as much value as they originally thought they did when they bought the iPad 3.
Non-retina to retina is a much more significant upgrade than a CPU/gpu upgrade.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
And so, the incremental 'S' upgrades to the iPad begin. iPad 3s anyone?

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
What about the majority of owners of iPad 3 who have never experienced a single issue?
Why don't you go read reviews of graphic intensive apps. You'll see a lot of iPad 3 owners complaining about poor performance. Why would iPad 3 owners blame Apple when they had no idea about an A6X chip. Instead they would blame the developers.

----------

Then they should have returned their 3.
How the hell we were to know that Apple was abolishing the iPad 3 only after 6-7 months?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Non-retina to retina is a much more significant upgrade than a CPU/gpu upgrade.
I've looked at 15" MBP's in the Apple store and I honestly don't see any difference in the Retina versus non-retina models.

Now maybe I'm not looking at the right type of content. But I would have thought that Apple would have tired to do everything it could in its stores to showcase the differences between the two.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
It makes more sense to release the ipad mini with a newer ipad this gives people an option to buy either ipad mini or new ipad.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I also never had "issues" with the iPad 3, but it did not run as smooth as the iPad 2, that's a fact

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How the hell we were to know that Apple was abolishing the iPad 3 only after 6-7 months?
If you use graphic intensive apps which stutter, then you should return your 3 and wait for the next iPad which doesn't stutter. Why would you keep a device that doesn't meet your needs or is unsatisfying to use? I personally think that the jump to iPad 3's screen had more impact in day-to-day use than the new CPU.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Not sure what this "flawed" statement means. My iPad 3 has been fine. Screen gorgeous, non-existent "heat issues," power fine, etc.

Until today of course. Now that the 4th gen is out, mine is AWFUL. TERRIBLE DEVICE. WORST iDEVICE IVE EVER OWNED.

Caps for emphasis, of course. Gotta be part of the 'in' crowd.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
don't forget certain games like NOVA 4 not only run better on the iPad 2 but also have many added effects that were removed from the iPad 3 version because it couldn't keep with the retina resolution and still the same CPU

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
The only reason they are keeping the ipad 2 is because of the price points......they can't justify keeping ipad 3 and lowering price and bringing in ipad 4 at same price....doesn't make financial sense to them.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
OP is right. no matter how you slice it Apple was in a "must-ship" position with the third gen iPad. the fourth gen is the iPad Apple WISHED it could have shipped back in March.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
OP is right. no matter how you slice it Apple was in a "must-ship" position with the third gen iPad. the fourth gen is the iPad Apple WISHED it could have shipped back in March.
Everyone was confused why apple only increased the gpu, most likely because it wasn't ready at the time

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
New York
I don't know about these "flawed" statements. The iPad 3rd gen was the first iPad I ever bought and it has never gave me a problem. I did not have any heat issues or anything. The only thing that could be better with it would be the charging time, but thats about all I can think of. Some people are saying that the iPad was a "forced" release and not a legitimate upgrade? With a new retina display, LTE, 1GB of RAM, quad graphics, and new iSight camera, I think that is a pretty good upgrade.

But hey, just because there is a new one out, that means that the previous generation was terrible right?:cool:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
so I guess apple wants to be like Samsung now? releasing more devices in a year?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
The only flaw is that it's 4G was so limited.

Otherwise it's a good product. We've had one at home for months now without a single issue. Wish it would charge a bit faster but honestly not a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.