Let's Build a 'True Pro' Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Exile714, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so it's been almost a week since the MacBook Pro 2016 was announced. Some people were disappointed, and they're voicing their opinion online.

You're the new CEO of Apple. You've decided you need to create a new MacBook Pro to satisfy these users.

What specs does it have? What specific processors, hard drives, memory, input devices, connectivity, etc? What does it look like? How big is the battery? How much does it weigh? And most importantly, how much does it cost?

Remember, this machine must use technology reasonably expected to exist by 4Q2017, and it must obey the laws of physics.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

DDR4 RAM, to start.

Make it a little heavier, a little fatter. SD Card Slot. 32 GB of RAM. At least one USB A slot.

I'm not super excited about clock speed and all that garbage, but it might be time for Apple to start developing Mac ARM chips because I'm concerned it's the shortcomings of intel that are setting Apple back.

3. Exile714 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, not LPDDR4? Because then we're talking either a big machine or one with 2-3 hour battery life.

DDR4 is desktop memory. LPDDR4 isn't supported by current processors. We could always use Kaby Lake processors but that means no quad core because H-series Kaby Lakes won't exist.

Let'a play seriously here. Desktop class DDR4, are you sure?

4. JMac1996 macrumors regular

JMac1996

:) I would do it exactly like Apple without Redesign.
    Take the new components, throw them inside the old unibody and fill up the rest with shaped battery cells, so Jhonny ive is pleased. :D
    2 USB 3.0 Ports and 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Ports, HDMI, Displayport, Headphone jack, pressable Battery-indicator at the side. :rolleyes:
    Replacing FN-Keys through the Touch-Bar, pushing the p3 color display in, paint it in Space-grey & Jet black and good.

5. leman macrumors 604

Could you explain why this particular choice? Its curios to hear why you'd pick slower and less energy-efficient RAM.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's your criticism? Is this a troll thread?

Fine, LPDDR4 memory. And read the rest of my post. I have admitted that Intel may be holding back Apple.

7. leman macrumors 604

8. Exile714 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We're designing for people who are NOT satisfied with that. I'm not saying it's wrong to like the current offering, just trying to assess the feasibility of pleasing the naysayers.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That answers my question. This is a "Let me justify why Apple made the Macbook Pro worse" thread.

A real Pro machine has more RAM and more ports.

10. leman macrumors 604

Wasn't the original question about using technology that currently exists? Intel CPUs currently don't support LPDDR4 if I understand currently, so that RAM is out of question.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

And you seriously think Arm is a solution?

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Also, probably a touch screen, but that's not specifically a Pro requirement.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    You're using Intel's chips as an excuse for all of their shortcomings. All I'm suggesting is Apple should go another direction if that is the case.

13. Exile714 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read your post in its entirety, it's literally four words long.

You're not addressing the issue here. If you go LPDDR4 there are serious drawbacks including weight, size, battery and processing power (not all at the same time).

We're not here to assess blame. Who cares if Intel is holding Apple back? Let's just build the machine everyone wants.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The excuses thread continues.

Better keyboard travel.

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

Honestly, coming from a mid-2010 turd, the new machines pretty much hit everything I am looking for with one gross exception - 32 gigs of RAM. If the technical limitation is really there and that's on Intel, fine...but the next version that will have 32 gigs of RAM will be the one I will want. While my current machine is maxed out at 8 gigs and I don't really need 32 gigs, I won't spend $3k on another computer that's going to last me another 5-7 years without at least 32 gigs. It's not the need, it's the principle...16 gigs has been the max since 2012 and that was fine then, but not today.

Give me today's machine with 32 gigs and I'm in, even at $3k, which is what my original late-'08 BTO unibody cost.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I haven't made any excuses for Intel. I just don't understand why anyone thinks that Arm is an option in any kind of computer that needs real horsepower.

The current Skylake CPUs are fast and capable. They run the software that they need to be able to run. I don't see why Kaby Lake is so special.

Note that I'm not a fan of these new MacBook Pros either. They have their share of problems.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I just get the feeling that the company that makes the best mobile processors in the business should consider their own proprietary chip to provide better solutions.

18. Exile714 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so the consensus here is that either 1) you like the MBP2016 as is or 2) you want more memory.

Let's put in 32gb memory. Ok, so which processor do we use? Do we stick with Skylake and suffer DDR4 memory or do we go with Kaby Lake and suffer a processor hit?

19. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

Size : Make the bezels smaller. Make the laptop the same thickness and slightly lighter than the previous gen due to less bezel, so smaller size
    Specs: i7-6770HQ for the 15", and choose from the nvidia 1050,1060 or 1070 in the top spec model
    Offer a low end dGPU in the 13" (1050/1060)
    Offer 13" and 15" without dGPU and pack the extra space with battery
    Up to 64gb of ram in the 15 inch, 32 in the 13 inch. RAM tech has very little difference in performance, ie lpddr3 vs lpddr4.

Features:
    Apple pencil support on the trackpad
    Normal keyboard
    2 x USB 3 A
    2 x USB 3 C (tb3)
    Magsafe
    Either make the screen touch and integrate apple pencil support or make the touch bar an optional extra on all configs
    Price:
    No ridiculous upgrade prices. .
    Keep the same Base costs as last gen

20. Exile714 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fine. But that takes more than a year. Let's assume we're building a machine for 2017 AND we're spending a ton on ARM research for 2020. Let's just focus on the 2017 machine.

21. Skika macrumors 68030

Give it a combo optical audio out in and it would be perfect. Only real grudge i have about the new pros is they abandoned this awesome feature that i use all the time, but oh well.

22. puma1552 macrumors 601

We wait until we can have LPDDR4 and have the same battery life as the new machines, whether that's Kaby/Coffee/Cannon Lake.

I used to have a secondary requirement of not buying a new machine until it could drive a 4k/5k external natively at 60 Hz. But now that Apple exited the display business, and being vain enough to not be willing to buy a non-Apple display and hold onto my 24" ACD until death (despite no retina it's just a beautiful panel...won the quality control lottery on that one, bigtime), that requirement pretty much evaporated. I just hope someone makes one hell of an adapter for it to work with USB-C, but not counting on it.

23. Exile714 thread starter macrumors 6502a

A computer that size with DDR4 memory (because you went Skylake and DDR3 doesn't support more than 16gb) and extremely high TDP graphics cards would suck power like water through a fire hose. If you stick with the same chassis, the battery would last maybe an hour.

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ