Lets quit with the Rudeness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hueyfreeman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

I think one think that everyone here can agree on, despite preferance in mobile OS, Manufacturer is that we all like tech. I think we should respect that we all will have differing opinions when it come to tech. Stop insulting people simply because they like something else.

We are talking about software 90% of the time on this forum and it is important to know that software unlike hardware can not be Quantitave but is always qualitative. In essance not nothing can really be proven better. Its your opinion that something is superior then another but that does not mean you should insult someone and their opinion.

Also if you want to get rid of trolls. DON'T FEED THEM. It is easy to notice a troll thread on this forum. What I don't understand is why is it it takes forever for people to stop feeding it. When someone insults Apple, the iPhone don't jump out to defend them. You are just Keeping the thread at the top of the board.

The ignore button works miracles.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

there's an ignore button?

3. ESPN macrumors regular

Easier said than done, some Apple people feriociously defend the iPhone while putting down Android calling it crap.

Android people just want to see how iPhone people will react to the new phones and comparable operating system.

As long as the mobile systems aren't universal, their is no end to the hate unfortunatetly.

I am neutral as I do not have iOS or Android.

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

this thread is kind of trollish.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I kind of have to disagree where you are placing the blame. Android people are coming to a Mac forum to post about Android. Thats where the pot begins to get stirred.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree with you completely.
    The fights against iOS and mainly Android are just way too annoying. It's just a smartphone platform, and there's no reason to bash someone's post for sharing their experience between both phones (whether Android was better or iOS was better for them).

One size does not fit all. I think we can agree on that.

That's annoying, but many times people are just giving their honest take on both OSes after using them extensively. There's nothing wrong with that being in an iPhone forum.

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

yep

Attached Files:

8. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I agree that the onky reason an Android fan comes here is to cause trouble. However I also think the problem is that people need to learn to be more tactful.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

This isnt always true.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed but its the case most of the time. They use the guise of "having a honest conversation about technology" to cover it up.

Hence why I am a big proponent of an "Alternate OS's" thread.

11. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Yes, but why are they coming to an iPhone forum to share they're experience? If they have passion for they're phone and want to talk about it, they need to go to a forum based on said phone. NOT an iPhone forum.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Seems like the rudeness has gone way down from several months ago. I agree with the supposition that Droid proponents come on here to cause trouble (I think most must be teens or younger), but I see a lot less of that after the antenna gate non-issue finally died down (non-issue to me and most owners of an iPhone 4….not going to argue about that).

13. patp Guest

Go to XDA forums even mention the words Apple or iPhone and you will get an avalanche of crap.

It goes both ways. hater or lover, just depends on your perspective.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No. You missed my point.
    A typical thread would be of someone who has an iPhone, decided to buy an Android, and then they tell us their comparison. Or maybe they are coming from an Android since Verizon only offered those, and now is using an iPhone - they compare what they liked, what they didn't, what the iPhone is superior in, what the iPhone lacks, what should be changed.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with that being in an iPhone forum.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No there’s nothing wrong with that, but posts like that are rare.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

In my opinion, not really.

Yes, I agree that someone shouldn't post a thread just about their Android and tell us it's superiority, especially without using an iPhone for extended periods of time. But let's be honest, now thats what you would call rare.
    You don't really see posts about people who've never used an iPhone and just glamorize their Android, right? Me neither.

Most people who are posting, regardless of the direction of the thread, have used both an Android and iPhone for long periods of times and are posting about it here. Those posts are okay.

17. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I agree. Those rant the threads I'm talking about. I'm talking about threads like "XXX phone blows the iPhone out of the water!" and then the OP goes on to explain how Apple and the iPhone are soooooo far behind and they suck and that we are all drinking koolade.

I didn't mean that kind of thing only happens here and with anti Apple people.

18. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately that is not the typical thread. Regardless, if you switched to Android then switch forums as well. It is a matter of preference. It's not based on objectivity. It's what the poster prefers. Who actually cares?

19. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

I agree, simple because techs don't make a phone superior, its a collection of things...For example how many people are happy with their iphone in contrast to those happy with their droid phone????

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wait, so you're telling me that most Android threads are coming from people who have never used an iPhone?
    Basically: "ANDROID RULZZ ... IT HAS FLASH, 1GHZ DUAL CORE, 1GB RAM ... SUCK THAT APPLE. NEVER TOUCHED AN IPHONE .... NEVER WILL #android4life"

Are you sure?

Most threads are coming from people who actually have used both devices and have rather useful information. Especially for those like myself who aren't familiar with other OSes and are curious to know how it compares.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can’t argue with you, since I’ve been paying a lot less attention to the iPhone forum (still look through the subs though to help people) after the period of time I wrote about in the previous post. The Droid and Verizon posts were insane back then, and they were obviously trolling. We talked about creating a Droid only sub-forum, but it was obvious that wouldn’t work any better than people not reading stickies or searching the forums for the other million threads on their same issues. So, perhaps things are better.

Anyway, I notice less rudeness. A lot of the major trolls I remember have left us, thankfully.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This post is a good example of it done correctly. :)

23. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I concur. Even though I don't agree with all of his points it was clear that he gave a lot of effort to give the most objective view possible.

24. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

I agree also, i think we forget that, it would be hard for someone to totally share everything about another operating system thats different from the one they are using.... it would be like asking steve jobs what are the benefits of Windows 7, of course there are some but when it comes down to it...you would be able to tell that he is a fan of Apple Os's

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Obviously, the OP is on heavy doses of anti-depressants, qualudes and percocet.:D