Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have 3 minis a 2011 with a discrete gpu a base 2012 and a quad 2012.

I no longer worry when the 'new' mini comes. for the first time in the history of me and minis I will not need the new one the old ones are all good enough as is.

apple has succeeded in making a piece of gear that does not need to be upgraded. Two conditions apply for me no gaming and a 1080p screen.

Frankly this is why they are not doing the upgrade. most users don't game with the mini and most users have a single 1080p or less screen with the mini.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
2. Sounds logical. Maybe apple really will wait this out until Broadwell launches (which would really suck).

I've been waiting about a year for a new mini, since the old one was pushing about 10 months, but at this point I'd rather Apple wait for Broadwell and release a new mini within a month of that.

In March 2014, there is no way I will pay full retail for a "new" computer using an early 2013 CPU.

On the other hand, if the new one doesn't have memory slots and 2.5" drive bays, I'd rather find out sooner since I can start looking for something else sooner.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
In the words of Futurama's Phillip J Fry:

"Shut up and take my money!"

I would gladly pay $100 more for a mini with better graphics/OpenCL capability.

Now if I could only convince Apple that there are enough others like me to get them to do it!

-JimJ

HA! I would definitely consider paying extra as well (if I needed a Mini). My wife has a Base 15" Macbook Pro with the Iris Pro graphics and I am very impressed for an integrated GPU. However, I would say Apple would be hard pressed to raise the base Mini from $600 to $700. Too many already complain it is too expensive at $600. Maybe if they did an Iris Pro as an upgrade to the Mid-Mini for something like 100-200 more? Not sure. I just don't believe all levels of Mini's could be justified.

My my .02 worth.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
That's life dude. If you need it, buy it. If you don't, then hold off.

Since when has need much to do with it in today's tech world? If you want it, buy it. If you don't, then hold off :D.

I didn't wait and just bought a mini as my 4,1 Mac Pro has been acting up. To answer the question: it's a keeper until I want something else, don't see that happening in the next year or two though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.