Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Binford

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
christina meehan-

it seems as if your site is wider than teh standard size eveyrone else has, is there an option in iweb to make a site wider?

Z.Beeblebrox

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
NJ / NYC
it seems as if your site is wider than teh standard size eveyrone else has, is there an option in iweb to make a site wider?

Yes, it's in the inspector palette, under page inspector. Click on layout, and change the content height and width. Presto. Most modern monitors are moving towards widescreen format, so I designed with that in mind. iWeb has many possibilities for those thinking outside the template box.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Just wanted to post this for all those iWeb users. My site is http://www.kwickgraphics.com

I do work in photoshop as a freelance designer but there is still a lot of potential in iWeb if you have creativity. Everyone keep trying.

Sorry to say this, but your own website isn't that good-looking either.. It's mostly too crowded, and old-looking. With many pictures you can better leave the shadow... Also don't always make a rounded rectangular when you're going to put some text on your site.

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
Some of these sites don't even look like they came from iWeb! One of the telltale things I've noticed, however, is they all load a little slow. I guess that's because the code generated by iWeb isn't necessarily efficient, but it works.

One of the improvements iWeb could make is to create more versatile nav bars. So, I created mine using Alphabutton. Here's my website:

http://www.terrycarterdc.com

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Some of these sites don't even look like they came from iWeb! One of the telltale things I've noticed, however, is they all load a little slow. I guess that's because the code generated by iWeb isn't necessarily efficient, but it works.

One of the improvements iWeb could make is to create more versatile nav bars. So, I created mine using Alphabutton. Here's my website:

http://www.terrycarterdc.com

Sorry but your website looks very old! drop the shadow or make it less long... And sites made with iWeb take so long too load because everything is made in pictures..

acoustictones

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Minnestoa
My Guitar Lessons site (Just getting started)

Ok, so I have A LOT more that I want to do with this, but here's the basic look and start for my new site. The site will focus on posting recordings, videos and web links for my students.

Here's the link: Guitar Lessons: http://web.mac.com/djbreck

Any feed back welcome. My lessons focus on using GarageBand, iMovie, iWeb and live performance to make learning fun.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
One of the telltale things I've noticed, however, is they all load a little slow. I guess that's because the code generated by iWeb isn't necessarily efficient, but it works.
You can do a lot to help with the pictures weight. Get your pictures optimized for the web beforeyou put them in iweb. Many programs can do it, make yours shadows also in the graphic program. check your images after publishing and see if you could improve on the size. Use fonts that are web friendly so they are not converted to images. (that also helps the search engines)

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
The shadow behind Terry Carter and photo. Or Make the shadow smaller.

I did that and I agree that it looks cleaner and more modern. I appreciate your advice! One of the things I'm trying to avoid on my site is to make it look too flashy or busy, which I see on a lot of other realtor's web sites. Any other suggestions will be appreciated!

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
You can do a lot to help with the pictures weight. Get your pictures optimized for the web beforeyou put them in iweb. Many programs can do it, make yours shadows also in the graphic program. check your images after publishing and see if you could improve on the size.

Mitou,

Thank you. I started with my own photo. I cropped and reduced it in size in Photoshop, then saved it as a PNG file (which iWeb is going to do anyway). I'll see what I can do with some of the other JPGs I use on different pages.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Mitou,

Thank you.
You're welcome. Another quick and dirty way to do your shadows is place the shadow in iweb the way you want it, use the screen grab (whatever it is called it is shift command 4) make an image of your photo with the shadow, and replace the image by the new one. fast and easy and no need to mess with photoshop. I don't know why I did not mention it earlier. sorry!

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I did that and I agree that it looks cleaner and more modern. I appreciate your advice! One of the things I'm trying to avoid on my site is to make it look too flashy or busy, which I see on a lot of other realtor's web sites. Any other suggestions will be appreciated!

I don't want to be the annoying guy, but one more tip. The background behind your photo that goes from Blue to white, isn't that good-looking to me.. I would either make it a solid color or less gradient..

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I don't want to be the annoying guy, but one more tip. The background behind your photo that goes from Blue to white, isn't that nice.. I would either make it a solid color or less gradient..
It is not a question of being annoying BUT esthetic considerations are subjective. Did you consider that He might like it that way. Please try to make a suggestion without insulting anyone. Nice not nice is relative, right now you don't look all that nice either but I am sure you had good intentions

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
It is not a question of being annoying BUT esthetic considerations are subjective. Did you consider that He might like it that way. Please try to make a suggestion without insulting anyone. Nice not nice is relative, right now you don't look all that nice either but I am sure you had good intentions

I just edited it, Was that post so insulting?? Sorry, if it is. I just want to give tips..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.