Let's Talk Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, May 23, 2014.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm moving to a new state and shopping for a new car insurance provider. I've narrowed it down to a few companies based on the quotes they gave me. I'm trying to decide between going through an agent (like Farmers) or a direct online company (like Geico). I can see the advantage of having a real live insurance agent in town, but having a real life agent is about 25% more expensive. Any insight from the wise Mac Rumors community?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I haven't had a local agent in 30 years. What's the advantage?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I went directly with Progressive, getting insurance online through their website. Didn't see any advantage to having an agent, and they've been fine to work with on the couple claims I've had over the years and when I had a $1,200 claim for a cracked windshield (don't ask why it was so much) they didn't even raise my rates, in fact, they went down next renewal.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have USAA and deal directly with them, no agent. They are fantastic.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Geico customer almost 20 years. No one ever comes close to their rates. Two big claims over the years and never a rate increase.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

USAA here too. I've been with them since last October and they've been great. I switched to them from Allstate after 13 years because they had much better rates and benefits.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have to agree with rdowns on this one. There was a time when only Geico would insure us military folks going overseas with our vehicles. I check rates every once in a while but no one compares.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I get my auto (and condo) insurance through AAA. It's Commerce Insurance, good premiums, lots of discounts, and great service.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm with Nationwide. Based on the claims of savings from Progressive and Geico in their advertising, I don't see how they'd save me anything that's worth changing over so I haven't really shopped. I've also done some quick estimates online and the rates I'm seeing don't really compare.

My policy is through a local agent (one my parents have used for years) but I haven't been in their office or in contact with them but once in the last 10 years, when I needed a copy of my insurance card after buying a new car (long story, end result is it wasn't sent to the dealer in a timely manner).

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

With my GEICO app, I can pull up my insurance cards at any time. :D

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Unless you are a cellphone dead zone... Just saying.

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I can with my Nationwide app, too. I couldn't 3 years ago when I bought my car (not sure Geico could either).

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I had State Farm from age 16 to 25. My roommate in college now works for State Farm at the hq in Bloomington. My wife had USAA. He said "State Farm is the best, but USAA is likely the best for the price". He's right. Moved to USAA.

14. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I switched from Progressive to State Farm when State Farm gave me a much better price on my motorcycle insurance and comparable rates on my car. I have never had a claim of my own but had a few fender benders with people who also had State Farm. Everything was set up with the repair shop in a day.

Just remember whoever you go with to get adequate limits and not just the minimum required limits.

15. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I always get great "new customer" rates, it seems. 3 years later, the rates creep up again. I hate the way some insurance companies give breaks to new business while ignoring loyal customers. This kind of thing happens in other services too.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

State Farm actually screwed me over after being with them for 21 years. Clean record for them until I had 5 claims in 2 years, all of them legitimate, from car break-in to burglary to collapsed ceiling to an idiot running his car into my house without his license. After that last one, which SF handled on it, they dropped my multi-line policy, saying that I was 'too high of a risk to insure'. This after being with them since I was 16 years old, with no claims to my name until then (which was 2 years ago).

Real nice 'good neighbor' thing for them to do, isn't it?

This. I went straight to them, and they've been great ever since. Same amount taken out on my multi-line policy, costing at least $100 cheaper. Plus they will never drop anyone as long as they are a member in good standing.

I gave State Farm a chance to work this out. They wouldn't budge, despite my long standing with them; their rules and regulations were more important than keeping 20+ year customers happy.

Never again with State Farm.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

But what does actual insurance cost in the US? I have a pretty cheap insurance in the UK due to my age and lack of claims. Paying around £300 on a 1.6 petrol Ford Focus.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It varies widely from State to State. In my State, Michigan, we tend to have much higher premiums than other states. I pay about $1,400 per year for a new Ford Fusion.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Wow. That's not cheap!

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I get my car insurance through a local insurance agent. I find using them is typically a lot better then some of the faceless insurance companies.

For instance, when I wanted to get my license plates off my car and onto the truck and my wife wanted a new set for the car. All I did was show up and give them my check. They did all the paperwork and sent someone down to the Registry (what we call the DMV).

While mostly a dying breed, I find dealing with a person face to face is much better then trying to navigate through a automated voice system maze just to try to get a hold of someone.

The rates are generally the same, though direct sellers typically can offer less premiums because they're not paying a commission to the local agent.

Another advantage is the local agent isn't tied to a specific insurance company so they can provide feedback on what's best for your situation. YMMV but I prefer independent agents :D

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It was a little worse when I was with Allstate and had an F-150.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah for some reason trucks are less expensive then cars. My premiums went down even though I went to a new vehicle. I expected them to go up or stay the same.

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is your Ridgeline 4-wheel drive? My F-150 was and it caused the premium to be a tad higher when it was new.

24. rdowns, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Their app had been around since 2009.

I pay $1,050 a year for full coverage on an Acura TSX. I carry maximum insurance limits with a $500 deductible.

25. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Agreed; I'm in Louisiana and had State Farm. My May renewal was $1770 for 6 months. Found Progressive online and only paid $850 for 6 months. Bye bye State Farm, and I'd had them as my auto ins. co. for a decade.